GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Bargain Gate

Benjamin Akela .177

<< < (13/14) > >>

splitbeing:

--- Quote from: Knothead on September 20, 2022, 01:34:15 PM ---I shortened my .177 Akela hammer spring to 2.57, and put in the 13.43 JSB Knockouts.  I had enough travel to get past 950, but did not test the heavy slugs I have.  I will do so and report back.  For those I may should have left it longer.

--- End quote ---

The h&n 16gt didn't group well during chrony testing at 50 ft.  The 16gr Senecas are very accurate at that range. How are the knockouts grouping?

Knothead:
the 10 grain knockouts are one hole at 25 yards at 880 avg. 
I will shoot the 13 grain knockouts tonight.  I emptied my mini storage last night and only shot steel 10 - 100 yards with the 10.3 knockouts.  I had no misses on any of my targets, and the 1/5 scale pig offhand at 50 was just a swinging. 
It sure is nice to not have to fill in a evenings shooting.

Knothead:
Here’s a pic of four 10 grain knockouts at 25 yards.  The high hole is from sight in work earlier at 50 yards.
The other is at 20 yards with five 13.43 knockouts. It was 19:50 here in Oklahoma and dark. I had to put the trap out back of the shop for a little light.
My new Arken SH 6-24 was here when I got home so I spent most time with the 10.34s at 50 and 100.
These 13’s should be slower than the 10’s but they shot pretty good.

splitbeing:

--- Quote from: Knothead on September 21, 2022, 10:21:24 PM ---Here’s a pic of four 10 grain knockouts at 25 yards.  The high hole is from sight in work earlier at 50 yards.
The other is at 20 yards with five 13.43 knockouts. It was 19:50 here in Oklahoma and dark. I had to put the trap out back of the shop for a little light.
My new Arken SH 6-24 was here when I got home so I spent most time with the 10.34s at 50 and 100.
These 13’s should be slower than the 10’s but they shot pretty good.

--- End quote ---

Thanks knothead! Those look like they are groupin better than the 16 gr h&n were doing at 50 ft for me.

splitbeing:

--- Quote from: only1harry on September 05, 2022, 01:55:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: Thane on September 04, 2022, 02:15:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: Cyknife on September 02, 2022, 07:19:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: Thane on September 02, 2022, 01:53:01 PM --- really an amazing gun.

--- End quote ---

Does your clipped spring measure out to the 2.57" mentioned in other posts?

--- End quote ---

I set spring tension to minimum then clipped winds off the spring and shot a string to see profile. Clip until the string arc is tail heavy then adjust use spring tension to center the curve use the transfer port to reduce to field limits of 20 PPE or pellet best speed.

3K-2K  66   21 FPE shots within 3%, 55 under 2% ES.  I avoid regulators if at  all possible.

--- End quote ---

I know you can clip a coil or 2 off the spring and further tune (when you take it apart) to get more shots and a flatter string with reduced power, but I wanted a 30+FPE bullpup so I refuse to go down to 20 or even 25 fpe.  I have the Gauntlet and other guns when I want to use 20-25fpe.  I enjoy the Akela's flatter trajectory at 910fps and 18 very consistent shots at 33fpe (w/18.1gr) before MV starts dropping.  I don't need a very high shot count because I don't target shoot with it.  I use it on medium-sized pests.  If I were punching paper and shooting multiple rats and pigeons on a farm, I would definitely increase the shot count at the cost of power.

--- End quote ---

Coming back to an old thread after returning to cutting coils. Down to the Thane tune of 21 fpe with the hammer screw all the way out.

Posting a reply because I also turned the hammer all the way in and got a full mag of 16.1 gr seneca hunting pellets at 885 fps and 28 fpe from 3k down to 2.5k on the fill. So the medium size game hunting is still there if I want it.

Also threw 20.5 gr NSA slugs in.  With hammer all the way in, 750fps 25.5 fpe over one mag from 3k to 2.5k. With hammer all the way out, they're going 600fps at 16fpe.

Haven't gotten to try shooting at my buddy's 100yd home range. Looking forward to it though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version