GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wild Game Preparation and Recipes Gate

delicious, easy squirrel

(1/1)

HOSPassassin:
Put your skinned, washed pieces of squirrel in a slow cooker/crock pot with just enough water to cover. Close the lid and cook on low overnight or high for 3-4 hours.

After the meat is done and almost falling off the bones, heat a deep skillet on medium heat. Add 2 T of olive oil or butter. (This is not deep frying, so don't go overboard.) When the oil is hot or the butter is melted add the squirrel pieces in a single layer in the bottom of the skillet. Sprinkle liberally with salt, onion powder, and chili powder. After a few minutes, when the bottom side is slightly crisped up, flip them over and coat the other sides with seasonings as before. Cook for another few minutes to the desired level of crispness/crunchiness, remove from the skillet, and enjoy.

This recipe is very easy and results in meat that is very tender on the inside and a little bit dried out and crunchy on the outside, sort of like the burnt ends of BBQ pork or brisket. The total time that requires the cook's attention is about 20 minutes, or less if you're used to doing it. The combination of salt, onion powder, and chili powder is my favorite for squirrel, and I have tried several. After it's done you can serve it with rice or pull the meat off and put it in tacos.

EdinGa:

--- Quote from: HOSPassassin on July 03, 2022, 10:10:22 PM ---Put your skinned, washed pieces of squirrel in a slow cooker/crock pot with just enough water to cover. Close the lid and cook on low overnight or high for 3-4 hours.

After the meat is done and almost falling off the bones, heat a deep skillet on medium heat. Add 2 T of olive oil or butter. (This is not deep frying, so don't go overboard.) When the oil is hot or the butter is melted add the squirrel pieces in a single layer in the bottom of the skillet. Sprinkle liberally with salt, onion powder, and chili powder. After a few minutes, when the bottom side is slightly crisped up, flip them over and coat the other sides with seasonings as before. Cook for another few minutes to the desired level of crispness/crunchiness, remove from the skillet, and enjoy.

This recipe is very easy and results in meat that is very tender on the inside and a little bit dried out and crunchy on the outside, sort of like the burnt ends of BBQ pork or brisket. The total time that requires the cook's attention is about 20 minutes, or less if you're used to doing it. The combination of salt, onion powder, and chili powder is my favorite for squirrel, and I have tried several. After it's done you can serve it with rice or pull the meat off and put it in tacos.

--- End quote ---

Sounds delicious. I usually pan sear them first and then simmer in gravy until they are tender. I'll have to try this soon.

Bicycleman:
Brendan, that recipe is a keeper because of it simplicity.
My question:  Do you do anything with the liquid from the slow cooker?

HOSPassassin:
I don't save the liquid from the slow cooker, but I am sure one could figure out a use for it. If nothing else try giving it to your dog or cat. I have one cat that is my devoted companion when I clean squirrels. He gets the internal organs and testicles and horks them down rapidly. I don't know if he knows what to do with the liquid, though.

One thing I forgot to mention is that after you remove the squirrel pieces from the skillet you can add a cup of water to it while it is still hot. This will instantly boil and lift off the burned bits of meat and seasoning and make an excellent gravy if you thicken it. You will probably have to salt the gravy because most of the salt that was added during cooking stays on the meat.

longislandhunter:
Sounds great.  Will definitely try that this fall. 

Thanks for sharing...

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version