GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > American/U.S. Air Gun Gates

What years of Benjamin 392 to avoid?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Robert 5mm:
Had to go pull out my Blue and Silver Streaks

1967 Blue and 1991 Silver both lean slightly to the left - not as much as the 39X

DanD:

--- Quote from: Robert 5mm on June 25, 2022, 04:38:20 PM ---Had to go pull out my Blue and Silver Streaks

1967 Blue and 1991 Silver both lean slightly to the left - not as much as the 39X

--- End quote ---

I stick to the '03 and older walnut models and I've never had one that seemed like it has an obvious defect . A few I think might have slight cants but I don't know if they've been bumped over the years or if they're really straight and I'm crooked.
I did have one hardwood 397 that I've since sold but I don't think it had a problem.

Robert 5mm:

--- Quote from: DanD on June 25, 2022, 06:25:43 PM ---
'03 and older walnut models

--- End quote ---

You have older than "03" which is good - my Sheridan BS 1967 has a slight cant and so does my Sheridan SS 1991 but my Benji C9A is straight

benji397:
I had to go look at my '67 BS. As best I can tell, sight appears to be straight.

DanD:
OK I checked my 15 Streaks and 39Xs...

I found 3 that are not vertical:
'97 transition C9A canted very slightly left but not enough to notice with the factory rear sight.
'99 C9A canted or bent left enough to notice looking through the peep, so I straightened it just now.... see below...
'78 C Series canted right but it's not real apparent through the factory rear sight.

The ones that look straight are:
.177 cal: '91?, '98
.20 cal : '56, '60, '69, '73, '74, '81, '91?, '98
.22 cal : '93, '97*
*The '97 392PA was pictured as near mint when I bought it but seller packed it poorly and it arrived damage including a bent front sight.I called Tim @Mac1 about replacing the sight and he mentioned they can be straightened by careful tapping but they'll break if you bend them with pliers or hit them too hard, so I tried tapping it with a rubber mallet against a wood block and it worked.

I also previously owned and sold a '98-ish 392PA, a 2002 397PA, and a hardwood laser engraved 397PA, and I don't recall any having an obvious cant.

Have fun and good luck finding a nice 392!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version