GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

smith and wesson 77A year???

<< < (2/6) > >>

Latches:
Just to confuse the serial number discussion, my gun is number G037200a.  It has scope grooves.  Any ideas of the significance of the "a" suffix.

c801tfd:
Latches,

The small a charter is the first I have heard about I have seen about 10 S&W Model 77A's but none with the "a" designation, now if only an elusive version with the alleged made in X-City Florida would surface.

Due to the fact these air rifles are were only produced for a short period and since they are seldom seen. Due to these factors it really did not build a big following and with the short history of the S&W Airgun Division there is a huge void in historical information. Therefore, theories which makes the history of the this air rifle more myth/legend.

As I mentioned it will take many rifle SN's and years to even come close to having a data base to sort out a pattern or meaning associated with the S&W Model 77A or even what the "a" chracter represents. However, the one thing that is a known is your air rifle was produced after 1973 based on the old advertisement mentioned the S&W Model 77A was grooved for a scope. Again the very early model 77A actions (1971 &1972) did not have dovetails.

As for the small "a" at the end of your serial number the follwing are purley suggestions such as: Is it representative for something as simple indiacting change in iternal component design or improvement; or some small tweak to the phisical design; or could it possibly be a mark that indicates it was assembled in Florida but with components and parts supplied out of the Springfeild MA Division. Again these are just guess's as to what the "a" may or may not represent, maybe the Lagina brothers will find the answer on Oak Island (LOL). No matter I like this model and hope to find out more about them to provide answers to prove out or disprove the theries that abound about this model, could take a while but thats ok. 

Ron in Nebr:
I know I'm replying to an older post, but thought this was the best place to chime in with this info. I just received a 77A today. Serial number is G009384, which, going by the above, would mark it as having been made in 1974. It's marked Springfield, MA. But- it does NOT have scope dovetails. So maybe they used existing reciever sides later than the first two years, or maybe the last digit in the serial isn't actually the year? Any new info on this since this post was made?

For the record, although it was advertised as "needing seals", it seems it only needed to be cocked before pumping  ;) .... seems to shoot very strong, especially at 20 pumps, which I had to try. Blew through both sides of a soup can at 6 pumps as well, so it seems quite healthy. Very nice shooting rifle.

c801tfd:
Nothing new yet, still looking for one with no scope grooves in receiver and a nice example of the rifle when it was produced in Tampa FL. There was a Tampa one on Ebay but just a little rough for my liking.

19Sheridan57:
   Just for a comparison, mine is serial number G036126 & is grooved for a scope. I also have the original owner's manual.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version