GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

smith and wesson 77A year???

<< < (5/6) > >>

c801tfd:
Jon,

I have rebuilt one of my 77A’s, bought a flat top piston from mac1 and a Crosman 140 seal kit as they are the right size then tore it down, glad to provide details if you need help. There are two small screws on the valve body that need backed out and a couple of 4-40 screws do the trick for that task and also for tapping back into position.

The reseal looks difficult to do, but in reality if you focus on the valve body location and do not need to remove everything else it is a really easy job to do.

eeler1:
I rebuilt a few maybe 12, 13 years ago, and I took some notes and pictures.  What sticks with me offhand is that it has some quirks (like for the valve body) and that I hate clamshell receivers.  But nice to know there's help out there if needed, Elroy. 

Maybe a video if it might be useful to someone.  I've actually got so many other projects going right now, mostly not airgun related, that it could be a while before I get to it.  Putting it back in the safe for now.

c801tfd:
Jon, not a problem. Maybe one day I will do a few videos as well, just way to busy with youngest sons high school sports and oldest son first year of college sports. Just barely found the time to work on a Crosman 147 that I actually started March and finished last week.

Ron in Nebr:
Just to add to the database, I recently acquired another 77A. This one has scope grooves, Springfield Mass stamp, serial number G036037.

Sold as not working and they were right this time- feels like the pump cup is toast, even after a good oiling. I have a couple extra Mac1 flattop O-ring pistons here, so it's getting one of those before I tear into anything else.

bantam5s:
Just to help further the idea that there is potentially a date code in the S&W airgun serial numbers my 79g has all the features consistent with a later production gun, has a SN that seems to indicate a '78 production,  and has a receipt as well as stamp on the box indicating that it was shipped / sold in 1982 which is again consistent with a very late production gun.

I believe my gun to be a 1978 example and date coded as such, but that date code could be coincidental.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version