GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > German AirGun Gate

RWS Diana scope rail replacement

(1/2) > >>

mozeely:
Hi, I'm looking at a used RWS Diana 52 with a scope rail that's marred up pretty badly.  Is there a way to replace the entire dovetail?

EricFR:
Hi mozeely, I've seen you can order new scope rails but you need to be sure it has the same hole configuration depending on the year or do the holes yourself. But it's not an easy thing to do as it has been mentionned in other threads, the philips heads you see are actually rivets and not screws so you need to drill them out and maybe tapping a new thread in the tube and use screws this time?

Roadworthy:
As Eric said there are indeed two different scope rails.  One was used on the older series guns, T01, T05, and prior actually.  The other is used for the T06 guns and has two scope stop holes.  Given the magnitude of the project you may wish to explore the option of going the dovetail to Weaver adapter route and forgetting about replacing the rail.  I've done that with a couple of Diana guns with excellent results.

outdoorman:

+1 on the weaver adapter as I did on my D34.

dtdtdtdt:
As has been discussed here several times.  The scope rail on most reasonably modern Diana/RWS rifles is RIVETED in-place rather than being attached with screws.   The + shaped feature in the hole is NOT a screw head of any kind.  My best guess is that it a method used to ensure the rivet metal flows uniformly around the rail hole during the riveting process.   

Is the damage you are referring to around the rivets?  If so, perhaps someone tried to take the rail off by brute force??

As Roadworthy says old rifles have their rails attached by screws rather than rivets.  I checked my records of old manuals on the Diana 52.  As Roadworthy said:  The most recent 52 version with the T06 trigger is permanently riveted.  Earlier ones with the T01 and T05 trigger have the rail attached by screws (Part Number B1158.). The rail is Part Number DV033.  Chambers Air Gun Parts in the UK lists the rail on its website and notes that there are two versions (shorter and longer).  They are out of stock.  No idea if you can find one..

If riveted, replacing it would involve very careful work to drill out the existing rivets, tap the hole to the correct screw size, and then FIND a rail for your rifle.  After all that you would have to be very careful to keep the rail secured in the tube so it doesn't loosen under recoil.  You would need pretty good machining skills to do it without doing more damage than has already been done!!!   EricFR is more knowledgeable about such things than me!!

One suggestion is to clean up the offending surfaces with files, hones, and sand-paper followed by a rebluing process. 

The best suggestion is Roadworthy's idea of putting a single piece base on the marred surface and forgetting about it. 

Several base/ring combination choices exist.  The Diana ZR-1 is the latest innovation to minimize the effects of recoil on your scope.  Second is the Diana Lock-Down scope that is droop compensated too.  The Weaver/Picattinny adapters are also good choices. There are several other very good choices inexpensively available too!!   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version