GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Air Guns And Related Accessories Review Gates

Scope issues

(1/2) > >>

smellslikepeople:
I have a center point 4x12 x44 scope I had it dialed in but switched it to a different rifle with bad barrel droop so maxed out the torrents. I then shimmer it and went way down but added to many shims as this was my first time shimming a scope. So I removed a shim but now it won't hold zero and the reticle doesn't respond well to adjustments. Did maxing it out up then down mess up the springs inside. Any ideas. Tia

mpbby:
Keep in mind you have to be very careful when you shim the ring. The contact surface between the rings and the scope tube changes.. (smaller and angled). Then, if you "overtighten" the rings screws, you may (easily) damage the tube.

That said, I would restart from the very beginning.  You should center the scope adjustments (mirror method or counting clicks and leaving in the middle).  Then, guess the shims you think it would be needed to compensate the droop, mount the scope and shoot 3 rounds, let's say at 10 yards.  If you had a 'decent' group, how far is it from the point of aim? If didn't group, you have a problem to find out.. 

Let's say the group is 'ok', but just out of place.  Without turrets adjustments, try to manage the shims until you have, at least, the group no more than 1" out (closer is always better).  Only then try to zero with the scope adjustments.

Hope this help.

Roadworthy:
Marcos is giving you some good advice based on experience.  For my part I would not shim a scope - it's too easy to damage them.  I'd opt for a droop compensating mount.
I'd take the scope back to center by counting clicks or turns from limit to limit then go back to the halfway point.  Taking the adjustment to the limit can damage a scope.  I believe Center Point does have a lifetime warranty, though.

bandg:
I know some have shimmed scopes and stand by the method.  I never have and will never shim a scope.

mpbby:
Just to let you know, nowadays I don't shim the scopes. 

I have two Diana rifles with barrel droop.  In one of them I bended the barrel to diminish the droop.  For the other one I'm using a Diana ZR mount that has a fixed built in compensation (inclination) to the droop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version