PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles

Author Topic: New To Me Flex .30!!  (Read 1753 times))

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
Re: New To Me Flex .30!!
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2021, 07:46:28 PM »
Basically, Cothran valves are super easy open valves that produce lots of power easily.  Very easy to cock as well.  Cobra valves operate different and don't make as much power.  I do not believe one is superior to the other, they simply serve different purposes. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 07:52:09 PM by YEMX »
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2021, 04:25:35 PM »
Good call on Fuzzygrub's part- the [hammer] spring he suggested from McMaster is spot on!!  I got my McMaster order delivered today.  I've got this new grip mounted, and I think it's going to work out perfectly.  There's still more than enough  adjustment in the grip to really fine-tune the LOP between the trigger and grip.  The only thing I don't like is there's not a substantial thumb shelf...  But there's enough of one to comfortably shoot, so it's fine.  I'm diggin' it! 
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Whatsquirrel

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2021, 06:32:48 PM »
Good call on Fuzzygrub's part- the [hammer] spring he suggested from McMaster is spot on!!  I got my McMaster order delivered today.  I've got this new grip mounted, and I think it's going to work out perfectly.  There's still more than enough  adjustment in the grip to really fine-tune the LOP between the trigger and grip.  The only thing I don't like is there's not a substantial thumb shelf...  But there's enough of one to comfortably shoot, so it's fine.  I'm diggin' it!

Pictures of that new grip installed. Im thinking of getting one for my WarP. Also throw that thing together & shoot it!! Id like to know how it shoots, Im thinking of having a .30 barrel made for mine.

Does it have to Cobra valve??
  • The other side of no where!
Mini-Rod .25
Syn-Rod .177 (Under Construction, soon to be a .25)
Condor SS .25
Talodor .25
Sumatra 2500 .25
Sumatra 2500 .22
Dragon Claw .50 (New Addition)
2 Gray Squirrel
3 Possum
1 Coon

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2021, 06:35:27 PM »

Pictures of that new grip installed. Im thinking of getting one for my WarP. Also throw that thing together & shoot it!! Id like to know how it shoots, Im thinking of having a .30 barrel made for mine.

Does it have to Cobra valve??

I'll get some pics up soon...  It does have a Cobra valve, but I'm going to swap over to a Cothran...
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »
Sorry for the poor pic.  If you look at the top slot, there's still more adjustment left.  More than enough LOP adjustment!
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... Stand em up Shoot em down
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 2019 Hall Of Fame Recipient
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2021, 07:40:36 PM »
Yea the LOP is very short on mine as well.  This prompted me to fabricate a trigger shoe to increase the distance.
Tried a bunch AR grips having this multi panel, spine "CAA" grip to have the most set back along with comfort options.
CAA grip:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 07:47:15 PM by Motorhead »
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/

Offline oldpro

• GTA
  • Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2021, 07:53:43 PM »
I like that Scott!! And the gun looks sick👍🏻
  • Katy, Texas
Raptor mini 2 in .25
Huben k1 .22
Diana 56
FX tarantula
Walther R8
LCS SK-19

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2021, 08:01:38 PM »
Yeah, Scott's WarP is the bee's knees!! 

The Flex came with a grip similar in shape to the one you have Scott- just w/o the swappable panels.  It was too short of a LOP for me, hence going on a search for an adjustable grip.  The one I chose seemed to be the best choice for me.  Again, only real grip is the size of the thumb shelf.  But to be fair, the grip was designed to go with an MDT chassis, which has a built-in thumb shelf...  I still do like the grip so far.  I won't really know how comfy the grip is until I'm behind the gun shooting it.
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Motorhead

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2021, 08:07:04 PM »
That is an older pic, and now it sports the FLEX trigger frame too.  Had been using the Flex air tube for a couple years now.

Offline Whatsquirrel

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2021, 10:08:00 PM »
Sorry for the poor pic.  If you look at the top slot, there's still more adjustment left.  More than enough LOP adjustment!

I like it. Will be definitely checking one out.
  • The other side of no where!
Mini-Rod .25
Syn-Rod .177 (Under Construction, soon to be a .25)
Condor SS .25
Talodor .25
Sumatra 2500 .25
Sumatra 2500 .22
Dragon Claw .50 (New Addition)
2 Gray Squirrel
3 Possum
1 Coon

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2021, 02:15:16 AM »
Flex will be going back together soon...  I haven't heard back from Mr. Cothran.  I'll cross my fingers and hope all is doing okay with him.

I have a Cothran valve here that I'll use.  I was going through the parts today, just to re-familiarize myself with them, and I picked up both the original hammer that came w/the Flex, and the MDS I was planning on using...  I had this strange urge to weigh them both, as they felt similar.  Come to find out, they weigh the same: 2 ounces, or 56 grams. 

I'm itching to shoot this gun, so It's gonna be real simple.  No SSG.  I will have to re-make the TP, and I'm going to bed the barrel collar (I'm NOT epoxying the collar to the breech!) so there's no wiggle.  As it stands, there's more play than I'd like.  I'll post some pics of the work I'll have to do.  But the Flex will be back together soon!!   
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Motorhead

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2021, 01:49:37 PM »
WATCH OUT for the triggers hold sear CLIMBING UP on the side of an MDS hammer.  The sear that holds the hammer cocked has VERY LITTLE HEIGHT within the bore where hammer slides.  Fit needs to be perfect to not have issue here !!!
ALSO an SSG devise is a near MUST HAVE as well with a Balanced valve set up and light hammer.

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2021, 05:01:44 PM »
WATCH OUT for the triggers hold sear CLIMBING UP on the side of an MDS hammer.  The sear that holds the hammer cocked has VERY LITTLE HEIGHT within the bore where hammer slides.  Fit needs to be perfect to not have issue here !!!
ALSO an SSG devise is a near MUST HAVE as well with a Balanced valve set up and light hammer.

I'm just throwing everything back together- the only change will be the Cothran valve.  I'll definitely keep an eye on that sear engagement issue- though, w/the steel hammer of the Flex, I don't think it should come up?  Regardless, I'll keep an eye on it.
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2021, 08:25:08 PM »
Main tube (i.e. bottle block, bottle, tube, valve and hammer) is assembled.  Cleaned up the inside of the breech a bit, and put some JB weld on that barrel collar thingy.  The collar thingy had some gouges on it that I wanted to fill/smooth before I bed it to the breech.  AGAIN, I'm not attaching it to the breech, I'm simply tightening up the gap.  It's too loose for my liking.  Hence bedding the collar to the breech.  No pics.  I'll post some when I do the collar thingy bedding job.  I found some cold blue, so I'll finish cleaning up the screws and do a real good clean and then I'll throw on some cold blue.  I don't want them rusting prematurely. 

I'm thinking about making a new bolt knob.  Not sure yet though.  I'm going to make a new bolt knob for this Flex...  Question for those of you who are FAR better makers- I have some all-thread I was thinking of using to make the main shaft of the new bolt handle...  The knob I'm using is metric and it's of a larger diameter than the 1/4-28 of the original Flex bolt handle.  I've got two questions that are kinda one big question:

1- Can I use all-thread to make a new bolt handle? Durability is the question.
2- Should/can I heat treat the all-thread so it's more durable.  No, I'm not sure of what kind of steel it is.  Maybe some kind of stainless? 

TIA for any help w/the bolt handle question.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 08:38:54 PM by YEMX »
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Motorhead

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2021, 12:00:39 AM »
NO all thread ....

Cut off a grade 8 bolt and have the threads JUST ENOUGH to go into the actual cock / loading bolt. What contacts and slides withing the receivers slot and locking notch needs to be smooth and solid w/o threads.

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2021, 12:51:02 AM »
NO all thread ....

Cut off a grade 8 bolt and have the threads JUST ENOUGH to go into the actual cock / loading bolt. What contacts and slides withing the receivers slot and locking notch needs to be smooth and solid w/o threads.

The all thread is metric and larger than the Flex's original bolt handle- so the plan was to chuck it in the lathe and reduce the O.D.  The only other thing I could do is take some steel round stock and machine what I need and thread both ends.  I was hoping the all thread would work...  :(  I'll post a picture of what I mean...
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2021, 01:10:36 AM »

Okay, there's a pic of the original Flex bolt handle and my current idea.  The all thread is M8-1.25.  Not sure if you can see, but it's definitely larger than the Flex's bolt shaft.  I tried getting a O.D. in the valley between the threads, and I'm getting .273".  The O.D. of the smooth section of the Flex bolt handle is .238".  The idea is to machine the M8 all thread down to the same spec as the Flex bolt handle...  There's enough material to do so, I was just wondering if the all thread would be good enough (i.e. durable) to be used- or could I heat treat or temper it to make it more durable...  I could go the more tedious route and use steel rod, and machine it to the dimensions I need, and thread both ends to their respective requirements... 
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Motorhead

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2021, 02:51:31 AM »
If taking the threads OFF ... could work if the material ( Steel ) is hard enough to not bend ?
Being these rifles are a SEAT Forward and retract to fire type .... if seating slugs and other difficult to chamber projectiles that handle gets quite the work out !!!  Yes I've bent lessor handle shafts doing just that.

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2021, 10:04:23 AM »
If taking the threads OFF ... could work if the material ( Steel ) is hard enough to not bend ?
Being these rifles are a SEAT Forward and retract to fire type .... if seating slugs and other difficult to chamber projectiles that handle gets quite the work out !!!  Yes I've bent lessor handle shafts doing just that.

Okay cool...  I'll give it a go then.  If it doesn't work out, I'll get some known steel rod and do it the tedious way.  That way I can look up/get better guidance on hardening and heat treating after machining it.  Ease of cocking is the main reason I wanted to swap over to the Cothran valve, TBH.  The potential power is nice too LOL.  I'm going to leave this one a pellet shooter I think though.  We'll see.  I've got a .30 pellet mold from NOE just for this gun...  So feeding shouldn't be too much of an issue.
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2021, 10:15:21 AM »

Here's some pics after I bedded and cleaned up the barrel collar thingy.  You might be able to make out some of the gouges on the leading edge of the collar.  I forgot that the collar doesn't seat all the way in the breech- so technically I didn't need to fill and smooth it.  But it was bothering me, so I did it.  It is indeed smooth to the touch!  It doesn't LOOK like it is, but it is.  We'll know tomorrow if I epoxied everything together! LOL  Should be fine though.  I slathered EVERYTHING in wax that I could think of (the stuff I don't want the JB Weld to stick to that is).  I also filled the grub screw that secures the collar to the barrel with clay, that way no epoxy will get into the wrench pocket.  Tomorrow, after I (HOPEFULLY) pop the barrel out and do some clean up, I can move on with assembly.  Later today I'll finish cleaning up all the screws and such and get some cold blue on them.  That way, hopefully I can get this back together and do a leak test.  We're getting there!!

I know- from the pictures, even looking at it in my hands- the collar's fit looks tight.  But I assure you, it had enough play in it that when the tensioning system is being tightened down, the barrel would twist.  The twisting would then misalign the barrel port to the TP.  There's an indentation in the barrel for the collar screw, and I didn't want to drill another.  So I bedded the collar.  I could wiggle/twist the barrel with my fingers...  It's not supposed to do that.  If I could make a new collar, I'd simply make a new one, and make it so that it seats the full length of the rear shroud mount.  But that collar is a curvaceous little thing!!  It would probably take me days to make one, not including bedding (if needed).  Simply bedding the collar is MUCH easier for me.

Side ramble:  If I had a way to easily measure those radii, I'd draw something in Sketchup or something and simply print one using my resin printer.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 11:00:06 AM by YEMX »
  • Silver Spring Md