PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles

Author Topic: New To Me Flex .30!!  (Read 1764 times))

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
Re: New To Me Flex .30!!
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2021, 11:40:52 AM »
I didn't glue the barrel into the receiver!!!  HUZZAH!!!  I still need to clean everything up and such, before I take some pics.  I just wanted to post the good news! LOL   
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2021, 07:08:20 PM »
The bedding job wasn't my best.  Some sections of epoxy turned out to be a little thin.  Overall the bedding is doing it's job though!  The collar is TIGHT!!  I'm happy. 

Did have a slight snag- The little set screw for the barrel collar stripped out on me!!  I was upset.  But I carefully drilled it out and rethreaded it for 6-32.  Everything is fine now.

These screws are proving to be a little more hard to clean than I originally thought.  They're sitting in some Evaporust right now.  I'll pull them and completely clean them before doing the bluing job. 
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2021, 06:21:51 PM »
Just a tease.  I'm currently doing a leak test, so the stock isn't fully tightened down.  I just threw it on for this pic.  If she holds air well, I'll air her up and see what's what!

Side question, mostly for Motorhead and/or Oldpro:  Would you happen to remember what oring size is for the breech for .30 cal?  The one that's in there now still seals, but I have to give a pretty good push to fully seat the bolt.  There should be resistance of course, but I feel the current level is excessive... 
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... Stand em up Shoot em down
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 2019 Hall Of Fame Recipient
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2021, 09:10:08 PM »
Pretty sure an SAE 010  I use a 70 duro poly, tho buna 70 is fine tho wears out quicker
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2021, 11:05:32 PM »
I can't believe I forgot to post the pic!  ??? ::)

Thanks for the info Motorhead!!
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Motorhead

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2021, 11:50:57 PM »
F'in A ... there ya go, high power nostalgia that may be relative old school but gets-it-done !!!

Nice rig !!!!!

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2021, 02:50:57 AM »
F'in A ... there ya go, high power nostalgia that may be relative old school but gets-it-done !!!

Nice rig !!!!!

Many thanks Motorhead!!
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2021, 10:47:54 AM »
She lost a few hundred psi over night  :(  I'll figure out where the leaks are coming from and get them sorted. 

I'm still waiting on some tools to make the new bolt handle, and I'm also waiting on some o-rings for the breech.  I'll post when I have more updates.
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2021, 02:14:41 PM »
Maybe I misread the air gauge?  I thought I had lost 500 psi over night, when I first filled the gun.  However, when I went to find the leaks today, she's still holding steady at 2500 psi fill...  So I filled her back up to 3k (or close to it, I'm running low on air  ::) ), and sprayed some windex all over the air block, gauges, burst disc/fill nipple and bottle... Nothing.  Not even on the degasser screw.  So I'll check again tomorrow to see if I just mis-read the gauge the first time around. *crosses fingers*

I had a thought this morning, and compared a .25 Mrod mag and the Flex's .30 mag.  Externally they're the same shape.  Of course, the difference is the thickness.  CARM makes .30 conversion mags for Mrods.  I've sent him a message via the Book of Faces, hopefully he says yes.  Basically, I asked him if he could tweek his .30 conversion mag design.  If he can, he can add the option to his store, specifically for the Flex (and WARP I would assume).  He could probably also re-design the wheel for other calibers as well.

NOTE:  CARM got back to me, he's able/willing to adjust his design.  So I'm going to get my original mag to fit the way I want (snug, but not TIGHT), and send the measurements to CARM.  I'm going to make a more in-depth comparison of the Mrod and Flex breech openings and mags to make sure all my bases are covered.  I'll let y'all know what I come up with.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 02:17:24 PM by YEMX »
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Motorhead

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2021, 03:19:25 PM »
Maybe I misread the air gauge?  I thought I had lost 500 psi over night, when I first filled the gun.  However, when I went to find the leaks today, she's still holding steady at 2500 psi fill...  So I filled her back up to 3k (or close to it, I'm running low on air  ::) ), and sprayed some windex all over the air block, gauges, burst disc/fill nipple and bottle... Nothing.  Not even on the degasser screw.  So I'll check again tomorrow to see if I just mis-read the gauge the first time around. *crosses fingers*

I had a thought this morning, and compared a .25 Mrod mag and the Flex's .30 mag.  Externally they're the same shape.  Of course, the difference is the thickness.  CARM makes .30 conversion mags for Mrods.  I've sent him a message via the Book of Faces, hopefully he says yes.  Basically, I asked him if he could tweek his .30 conversion mag design.  If he can, he can add the option to his store, specifically for the Flex (and WARP I would assume).  He could probably also re-design the wheel for other calibers as well.

NOTE:  CARM got back to me, he's able/willing to adjust his design.  So I'm going to get my original mag to fit the way I want (snug, but not TIGHT), and send the measurements to CARM.  I'm going to make a more in-depth comparison of the Mrod and Flex breech openings and mags to make sure all my bases are covered.  I'll let y'all know what I come up with.

IF YOU do this ... Order a CARM ( WARP /FLEX ) .30 cal mag for me too !!  Suggest making it size against the OEM barrel end shoulder specs and NOT M-rod.  Width to fit OEM mag gap.  IMO

** When I use a .25 or .22 barrels on these rifles, I'm using M-rod mags with a correct thickness backing spacer glued to the back area of slot to close the gap and it works fine !!

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2021, 10:58:11 AM »
IF YOU do this ... Order a CARM ( WARP /FLEX ) .30 cal mag for me too !!  Suggest making it size against the OEM barrel end shoulder specs and NOT M-rod.  Width to fit OEM mag gap.  IMO

** When I use a .25 or .22 barrels on these rifles, I'm using M-rod mags with a correct thickness backing spacer glued to the back area of slot to close the gap and it works fine !!

I want these mags to fit nice and snug in the Flex, so all the major sizing (barrel, loading port, etc) will be based on the Flex.  The only reason for comparing to the Mrod specs is because the base magazine from CARM is for an Mrod.  I need to know where the differences lay, so I can note the changes accordingly.  I also want to make sure these new mags will fit the same length projectiles that the original Flex mag can (if slightly longer, cool!!).   CARM mags are of a different design compared to an Mrod mag (I feel the CARM is better), so I want to try to make sure I don't lose any positive attributes of the original Flex mag with this "conversion".  Once the final design is good, I'll add a mag to my order for you Motorhead, no worries.  I'm going to get at least two for myself. 

Update on leaks:  I somehow DID misread the gauge!!  She's holding steady at 3k psi!   I'll refill my Great White this week and get to tuning. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:07:20 AM by YEMX »
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline mackeral5

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2021, 12:22:39 PM »
A couple years back when I was working with Darko to finalize the .30 Mrod mag we started work on the .30 WAR mag.  Darko made 1 .30 WAR magazine prototype.....  It was just a smidge too thick/tight and required a slight bit of filing to fit.  I gave him a bit of feedback for the next version but that occurred right as I was transitioning between platforms.  I ultimately traded off my Flexes (and the prototype mag) for other guns, thus never pursued the mags any further.

Hopefully Darko can dig up the old file and print some off for you.

• Lake Harding AL

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2021, 02:26:55 PM »
Excellent!!  I'm hoping there isn't too much difference between the two- meaning his current .30 Mrod mag and the Flex.  I'm going to verify some measurements on my end first.  He didn't say anything about making a prototype mag for a Flex when I spoke with him, so we may be starting from scratch again.  No worries.  Overall, it shouldn't be a hard "conversion".  This time though, I'll be sure to mention to him to save the file once everything is finalized so any remaining Flex owners can get their own. 

Thank you for that input Mackeral5!
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2021, 08:15:55 PM »
Tom, looks beautiful! I hope you get the magazines from Darko…maybe ask for single shot loaders too?
  • U.S. CA
JSAR Raptor .22 TJ slug barrel Discovery HD 5-20X50 SFIR FFP
RAW HM1000x LRT Chassis .22 Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 FFP MOA APLR3 Gen2
Beeman P17
PRod Discovery HD 4-20x50 FFP SFIR

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2021, 10:19:57 PM »
Tom, looks beautiful! I hope you get the magazines from Darko…maybe ask for single shot loaders too?

I was thinking about a single shot loader- but he doesn't even offer those in .25 let alone .30.  If I get a wild hair, I'll see what's what.
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2021, 11:50:03 PM »

I was thinking about a single shot loader- but he doesn't even offer those in .25 let alone .30.  If I get a wild hair, I'll see what's what.

I bet if you put out it out there that you would like someone to 3D print one for you..like Kbstingwing….he prints! He just printed magazines for his HW.
  • U.S. CA
Beeman P17

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2021, 07:14:08 PM »
Not too much of an update.  She's still holding air just fine.  I did a [bad] drawing of the Flex breech and sent it to CARM so he can make the necessary modifications to his Mrod .30 conversion mags.

He's going to work on this tomorrow, so within the week, I'll have some mags on their way to me.  Mackeral5, he did remember working on a mag for the Flex before, so he DOES have something to go off of.  We'll see how good my measurements are  ??? 
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2021, 11:36:42 PM »
010 o-rings aren't the size for the breech o-ring (to seal the probe).  However, I DO have o-rings that'll work, right here in a kit  ::)  I KNEW I should have checked before ordering some LOL  Oh well. 

The bolt probe goes into battery with less effort, but it still seals.  Excellent!  I also got my tools I ordered for my lathe so I can proceed with the new bolt handle. 
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2021, 12:19:28 AM »
I’m sure Darko’s mags will work perfectly! Getting closer!
  • U.S. CA
Beeman P17

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2021, 10:01:09 AM »
I’m sure Darko’s mags will work perfectly! Getting closer!

I'm going to cross my fingers!!  I've already got a few people looking forward to these mags! LOL  Darko said the picture was enough to go off of, so here's to hoping my measurements are good enough LOL   
  • Silver Spring Md