Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: New To Me Flex .30!!  (Read 1452 times))

Offline GSu

• Plinker
Re: New To Me Flex .30!!
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2021, 05:10:29 PM »
The list of o-rings I have:
The bottle to nipple, and nipple to reg block o-rings are Ė 116
The transfer port o-rings are - 011
External barrel & regulator piston is - 012
Internal barrel
   .22 cal. - 009
   .25 cal. - 010
   .30 cal. - 011
Valve and reg block inside reservoir:  - 118
  • Honolulu,  HI
Impact .22 700mm Superior liner
Impact .30 700 Heavy Superior liner
FX Dream-Pup .177
Power tuned .25 Cricket
.22 Uragan
Bulldog

Offline woogie_man

• silence is golden,and not illegal
  • Expert
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 07:44:09 PM »
Dang man, you just can't quit can you!   lol

Have been looking at a .30, but I honestly don't need one at this point.  Though they look just so darn fun as well
  • North Dakota

Offline HunterWhite

• Hunter Whitebeard
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Bishop's Castle
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 07:58:34 PM »
I cannot for the life of me find .08" thick snap rings.

Maybe 2 mm?
  • Arlington Texas
Condor 25, 2240, Umarex Colt, 177 FaTRod😎

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2021, 08:55:49 PM »
I cannot for the life of me find .08" thick snap rings.

Maybe 2 mm?

I solved the issue- I CAREFULLY clearanced the barrel port so a HD .05" thick snap ring will work.  Best part is, it's a common item.  No worries about getting them. 

Dang man, you just can't quit can you!   lol

Nope!  An opportunity came up and I snapped this Flex up.  I couldn't say no!  I even tried to at first!  But the Flex (especially in a .30) has been kind of a holy grail gun for me.

The list of o-rings I have:
The bottle to nipple, and nipple to reg block o-rings are Ė 116
The transfer port o-rings are - 011
External barrel & regulator piston is - 012
Internal barrel
   .22 cal. - 009
   .25 cal. - 010
   .30 cal. - 011
Valve and reg block inside reservoir:  - 118

Most excellent!  Thank you, that list is very much appreciated!

So I've been looking over the gun and all the parts and such, and I've decided to just keep the Flex stock.  Once I finish cleaning and polishing everything, I think I'll be satisfied.  I got to bench building and put the cart before the horse.  I honestly just want to shoot the gun.  I'd have to make a SSG/spring adjuster and a completely new TP.  Why do all that, when I already have all the parts and I know they all work.  Plus the gun was originally tuned right about where I want it to be, so I know the parts I have are capable.  I'm going to stick to the overall clean, lube and re-assemble idea that I originally had. 

Pretty much everything is painted.  I'm going to leave them alone for 10-14 days to cure. 

Yep.  Dirt simple paint job.  Yes, I have painted the barrel shroud- it's just not pictured.  As you can see, I decided to paint the main tube instead of cold bluing.  I don't have any cold blue on hand, and it's just more simple to paint it.  Anyhoo, I still have some things to clean and polish.  Once these painted pieces have fully cured, I'll do a more thorough cleaning of the insides where applicable.  Then just order up some o-rings so everything's nice and fresh, make sure there's no burrs or sharp edges, and then I can finally re-assemble!!  I'm pretty excited!   
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 09:00:21 PM by YEMX »
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Whatsquirrel

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2021, 10:21:43 PM »
Could you measure the air tube?? Iíd like to see the difference between the Flex & WarP. Iíve got a WarP & think the plenum volume isnít enough for higher power.
  • The other side of no where!
Mini-Rod .25
Syn-Rod .177 (Under Construction, soon to be a .25)
Condor SS .25
Talodor .25
Sumatra 2500 .25
Sumatra 2500 .22
Dragon Claw .50 (New Addition)
2 Gray Squirrel
3 Possum
1 Coon

Offline GSu

• Plinker
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2021, 10:49:28 PM »
Could you measure the air tube?? Iíd like to see the difference between the Flex & WarP. Iíve got a WarP & think the plenum volume isnít enough for higher power.
Tubes are the same with the Warp shorter as you suspect.  I am running a Flex air tube on my .22 Warp.
  • Honolulu,  HI
Impact .22 700mm Superior liner
Impact .30 700 Heavy Superior liner
FX Dream-Pup .177
Power tuned .25 Cricket
.22 Uragan
Bulldog

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2021, 10:57:05 PM »

Flex tube is a touch under 11"
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:08:16 PM by YEMX »
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2021, 11:01:39 PM »
Tom, you're not kidding about that tube, that is thick! It must be a piece of oilfield drillstem or something.

Hunter

I compared the tube to my Brod tube, and they're darn near the same thickness...  I don't remember the Mrod's tube being so thick.  I guess it's been a while since I've messed with one...  Or I've messed with so many I've stopped noticing! LOL
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:08:51 PM by YEMX »
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Whatsquirrel

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2021, 11:59:51 PM »

Thanks. The my WarP is 9Ē. I think another 2Ē of plenum volume would make a pretty good difference.
Mini-Rod .25
Condor SS .25
Talodor .25
Sumatra 2500 .25
Sumatra 2500 .22
2 Gray Squirrel
3 Possum
1 Coon

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2021, 01:08:55 AM »

Thanks. The my WarP is 9Ē. I think another 2Ē of plenum volume would make a pretty good difference.

About 28cc's worth, if I'm not mistaken.
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Whatsquirrel

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2021, 02:08:41 AM »

About 28cc's worth, if I'm not mistaken.

What kind of speed difference would that make??

A WAR rifle was my dream rifle when they came out & knew I could never afford one. But I stumbled across one in a horse trade. Thatís how I ended up with mine. Itís a .25 cal, but Iíd really like a .22 slug barrel for it.
Mini-Rod .25
Condor SS .25
Talodor .25
Sumatra 2500 .25
Sumatra 2500 .22
2 Gray Squirrel
3 Possum
1 Coon

Offline bear air

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2021, 06:44:58 AM »
If they are the same ID as the marauder it is 14 cc's per inch. So 28 cc's would make a huge difference.
  • Sioux City IA, USA
Benjamin Armada Bottle Carbine 30 cal UTG 10x44, Benjamin Armada 25 cal Kuiu Vias vinyl wrap 20'' MMHF barrel UTG 4x16x44, Benjamin Marauder 22 cal x2 1-24'' MMHF barrel 500cc bottle gun Bushnell Nitro 2.5x10x44 FFP, 1-20''LW barrel Bushnell 4x12x40 Engage, Benjamin Marauder 17 cal 20''LW barrel Bushnell Engage 4x12x40, Benjamin Fortitude 22 cal 20'' LW barrel Boyds at one thumbhole stock Discovery 3x12x44 FFP, Beeman Quiet TEK 22 & 177 cal Beeman Silver Kodiak x2 22 cal & 177cal Psalm 107:14  He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2021, 08:13:59 AM »
What kind of speed difference would that make??

Plenum size doesn't necessarily translate directly into a velocity increase.  More plenum would allow for slightly higher output pressure from the reg w/o a drop in shot count (that is- when compared to a factory WarP tube).  That slightly higher reg output pressure could net higher velocity though.  But I digress- there's no real way to answer your question.  It'll be about how you tune the gun w/the larger plenum. 
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2021, 01:41:47 PM »
*sigh*  I've been mulling it over, and I'm just going to go ahead and get a Cothran valve when the become available again.  There's no point in assembling and tuning only to disassemble it all again a month or two down the road to install the Cothran.  I'll just build it the way I want the first time and call it done. 
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2021, 10:53:27 AM »
My new grip has come in.  I'll need to get a new mounting screw though  :(  I'll have to go to McMaster though.  I already know nothing local will have a screw like that.  But I think it'll work out!  I believe there'll be enough adjustment to get the perfect LOP on the trigger... 
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2021, 11:38:27 AM »
Okay!  Got some HD retaining rings on order.  I don't think I'll have to place an order for these for a good while. 

The grip screw threads are 1/4-20.  I have to order one (or rather, a pack of 10  ::) ) from McMaster because I won't be able to find one locally.

I've got some nylon coming in so I can make a new spring guide insert for the RVA screw.

Thanks to Fuzzygrub, I was able to order a 3" long spring that's as close to factory Mrod spec as possible- Many thanks to Fuzzy!!  Unfortunately, these springs come in a pack of 6  ::)  Not sure what I'm going to use 5 3" long Mrod hammer springs for  ::) LOL

Here in a few days (once the paint has fully cured), I'm going to bed the barrel collar so I don't any twist when tightening the barrel. 

All that's left as far as changes and such will be to get a hold of a Cothran valve (not sure when I'll be able to do this), and make a TP for it.  Everything else is simply cleaning, changing o-rings and lube.  We're getting there!!

• Silver Spring Md

Offline Whatsquirrel

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2021, 02:28:25 PM »
Be glad to see this thing all together. This thread made think about my WarP, when I get back into town Iím gonna tear it down & paint it. Iím gonna do black with stainless fasteners. Just not sure if Iím gonna go satin or gloss black.
Mini-Rod .25
Condor SS .25
Talodor .25
Sumatra 2500 .25
Sumatra 2500 .22
2 Gray Squirrel
3 Possum
1 Coon

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2021, 06:11:09 PM »
Be glad to see this thing all together. This thread made think about my WarP, when I get back into town Iím gonna tear it down & paint it. Iím gonna do black with stainless fasteners. Just not sure if Iím gonna go satin or gloss black.

I'll be glad when it's all together and shooting as well.  There's a few things yet to do, but we're getting there! 

I can't advise on paint, because apparently a LOT of people hate my color choices/schemes LOL  Or the fact that I paint my stuff at all!  LOL
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Whatsquirrel

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2021, 07:16:26 PM »
Whatís the difference between the Cothran valve & the Cobra valve?? Mines got the Cobra but donít really the difference between all the valves.
Mini-Rod .25
Condor SS .25
Talodor .25
Sumatra 2500 .25
Sumatra 2500 .22
2 Gray Squirrel
3 Possum
1 Coon

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... Stand em up Shoot em down
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 2019 Hall Of Fame Recipient
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2021, 07:23:06 PM »
Whatís the difference between the Cothran valve & the Cobra valve?? Mines got the Cobra but donít really the difference between all the valves.

AKA:  Cobra valve is a conventional Knock Open poppet design having a pneumatic air spring chamber that retains pressure forcing the poppet to close quicker.
Balanced valves are a different animal having AREA of a poppet head isolated from pressure ( For easier opening ) and also gaining massive dwell / flow potential using lighter hammer & spring combinations.
* Cothran and the now obsolete JSAR valves while both being AKA: balanced valves ... operate very differently.
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/