GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > PCP/CO2/HPA Air Gun Gates "The Darkside"

SCBA Tank Lifespan

(1/3) > >>

keith2324:
Another riddle me this question batmen and women. I am currently looking to buy an SCBA tank for my Marauders. Looking on-line the average price for a tank is $600. However, I am puzzled by the life span of the bottles. I can't see spending that kind of money on a carbon fiber tank for it to only be obsolete in a few years. Is there any way to get these bottles re-certified other than the re-hydro? Or is the bottle useless after the expiration date? It seems it would be cheaper to buy aluminum SCUBA tanks if that's the case.

Keith.

Filnez:
SCBA tanks have a lifespan of 15 years from the manufacturing date.  That time span is set by the DOT, Department of Transportation.  They are ordered condemned after 15 years, regardless of whether or not they'd still have useful life left.  Also, I read that the carbon fiber tanks require hydro testing every 3 years, instead of 5 like scuba tanks. 

I think the best value is in steel scuba tanks, the high pressure ones that fill to 3,500 psi or so.  No set life span by the goobermint.  100-130 cubic foot steel tank holds a LOT of air.  The only drawback is the weight, as a filled 130 cubic footer weighs close to 50 pounds. 

newguyontheblock (Nathan):
i use a 120 cu ft steel tank. i get 60 + refills for my disco and i fill mine for free cause the dive shop near me loves me lol. fire stations also refill if your courteous

that tank is only 270$

Pete:
Hi..
Just to give you a idea...
My 80cf alloy scuba tank lasted 25 years or so
before it developed cracks around the valve thread.
Thats 25 years of diveing in salt water...

( on its last test they drilled a hole in it)
but I did get the valve back.

dollarhunt:
where can you find a 120 cubic foot steel tank( 3500psi) for $270? that is a lot cheaper than any i found on the internet. also firehouses fill scba tanks which have a different valve from a scuba DIN valve, so an adapter would be necessary( about $70-90).  the standard 3000psi scuba tank uses a K valve which would also require a scba to K valve adapter if filled at a firehouse. i am pretty sure that scuba tanks, either aluminum or steel also have a definite tank life per DOT but it is longer than a carbon fiber scba tank. carbon fiber scba tanks now have the same 5 year hydro requirement as scuba tanks- the older fiberglass scba tanks are still re-hydroed every 3 years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version