GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > 3D printing and files

3d Printing a breech

(1/5) > >>

wimpie swart:
Hi all,
I hope you all are well.
Question for the 3D experts; would you print a breech from ABS or PETG? If the design lends space for a brass or steel TP, between valve exhaust and barrel, then one would not have to worry about the pressure holding capabilities of the printed part.
Am I in the right thought direction or missing the ball?
Thanks

Rob M:
ive printed a ton of breeches , but generally as a test run before making it from aluminum.. ( check dimensions and so on)  For low pressure guns like pumpers and co2 , pla works fine , as does abs since we know most crosman pistols come with an abs breech.. Its really dependent on how the breech is secured and the fact the load is well distributed during the shot cycle .. ( crosman 1377 breeches arent really taking a direct hit , neither are 2240 plastic breeches or the new 362) the air is channeled from metal part to metal part to barrel. For pcps Scot Hull has used a few for very powerful guns..  Its definately a viable idea

wimpie swart:
Thanks Rob, I will be testing my Bam B50 multi shot breech with sidelever.

Rob M:

--- Quote from: wimpie swart on September 08, 2021, 04:17:45 AM ---Thanks Rob, I will be testing my Bam B50 multi shot breech with sidelever.

--- End quote ---

post some pics and some feedback when done..

Scotchmo:
PLA is stiffer than either ABS or PETG. I've made and used several PLA breeches on Armada/Marauder based rifles at up to 180fpe.

They performed fine. Transfer port tubes were made of brass. PLA does not like high temperatures. I switched to aluminum using a lost PLA process once the design was to my liking.

For something like a bullpup where the breech does not need to support the barrel or scope, I would not have a problem keeping the plastic breech. PLA is fine, but ABS or PETG is probably better for longevity. Any (PLA, ABS, PETG) can work, just design accordingly.

I have found that I get better results doing thread forming in PLA rather than thread cutting on small fasteners. Use the appropriate thread forming hole size and then form the threads using a lubed screw.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version