GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Air Guns And Related Accessories Review Gates

Radiator Improved Bucket for Yong Heng

(1/4) > >>

JimD:
I like my Yong Heng but when filling my 45 minute SCBA tanks I have to make multiple runs because I turn the compressor off when it gets to 60 degrees C.  I think you can go to 75 C but I prefer to be a bit conservative to hopefully help the compressor last.  I've seen some videos of people with radiators to cool the water on their Yong Heng setups (Bison is one but I think he may have copied another guy).  They used 2 gallon aluminum gas tanks and heater cores.  Those devices are not set up for 5/16 flexible hose so they need lots of adapters.  So I started looking on Amazon.

I bought a "FITNATE 12 Pipe Aluminum Heat Exchanger" for $24.99.  It is only a little less long than the width of the drywall bucket I was using - a pretty good fit.  I put a scrap of wood under the heat exchanger so it could extend over the outside lip.  The wood is covered in white silicone on the bottom and has one screw in the center from inside to help hold it.  I made little aluminum L shaped brackets to attach the heat exchanger to the wooden block. 

I put one cooling fan on the heat exchanger a "Wathai EC Industrial Cus Fan 120mmx38mm $17.99.  I could have put two on it.  It came with the fan leads unattached to the power cord.  So I soldered them together and wrapped the connections with electrical tape.  I would have used heat shrink tubing but I'm debating adding another fan.  The holes on the heat exchanger are spaced exactly right for the fan but the threaded holes are too small on the heat exchanger.  I retaped them to the threads of the screws that came with the fan and shortened those screws about 1/4 inch.

I wanted to be able to tightly close the lid of the bucket so I put two "LTWFITTING Brass Barb Splicer Mender 5/16" $8.99 (for 10) through the lid.  I drilled 5/16 holes in the plastic lid and forced the splicers through.  This worked well, they don't leak.  I added a third hole for the power cord for the pump (bigger, another Amazon purchase).  But I had to remove the plug end so I cut it off, put it through, and then soldered it to another power cord I had from something I threw away.  I used heat shrink tubing on those connections and put a little silicone around the cord. 

I used the tubing that came with the Yong Heng but I wanted more so I bought 3 meters, about 10 feet, of 5/16ID, 3/8 OD PVC Vinyl Tubing for $7.99.  It was a little big for the connections on the Yong Heng so I added some screw type clamps I had.  It fit the others pretty tight but I put a couple cable ties on the one coming out of the bucket going to the inlet of the Yong Heng (that did not seal up the other end of that hose where it connected to the compressor.  The water goes from the bucket to the compressor, then to the heat exchanger, then back into the bucket. 

I made a run with it today after getting it all hooked up.  Works well.  My SCBA tank was already at about 3800 psi, maybe a bit lower.  I pumped it up to 300 bar, about 4300 psi without exceeding 57 C.  The compressor was also back down to about ambient temperature after only about 5 minutes of the pump and fan running with the compressor off.  So even if I have to wait between runs I won't have to wait as long.  And I can add another fan to see if that keeps it at one run.  But a 5-10 minutes wait is a lot less than I used to give it.  The compressor temperature rises noticably slower than it used to.  I will include a couple pictures so you can see what I am talking about.   

thumbs:
Ha found it.LOL I was gettin ready to ask a question about bipods and while checkin out the threads I found the writeup your mentioned when we were talking about the Avenger.

Glad I saw the picts, not what ai thought.  No bad just different.  I would like to get away from the ice but the freeze is right next to the fill station.  I probably will give it a try anyway to make it a bit more portable.  Looks real good and sounds like it works great!  Not to expensive either.

JimD:
I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my third PCP, an Artemis P35, and decided to fill my SCBA tank.  It was still at 3200-3300, I kind of wanted to get it to 3000 but decided it was low enough for a more through test.  I have 3 gallons of distilled water in the bucket with redlines water wetter in it.  The temperature gauge on the Yong Heng was at about 19.4C when I started the run.  I filled my 45 minute SCBA tanks to 300 bar in a little under 15 minutes and did not exceed 60 C.  It flashed 60 a couple times but mostly indicated 58-59 C.  I'm not sure it ever completely stopped increasing but if it didn't it slowed down a whole lot. 

I do not always fill to 300 bar, I often stop at 4000.  So even if it got a little hotter starting from 3,000 or in a little hotter ambient weather I am very confident I can get my SCBA tank to a very usable fill in one run.  There is nothing magical about 60 C either, the pump is rated to go to 75 C. 

I spent about 5 minutes changing the cotton filter on the compressor outlet (I squeezed a noticable amount of water out of it and there was a little oil too) and checking the dessicant in my black (not gold) filter (still orange, it goes to black when it gets wet).  I'm not sure the gold filter is really necessary.  I have one but I put the black one on before I bought the gold one and it works so well I have never installed the bigger gold one.  Anyway, in those 5 minutes the Yong Heng got back under 30 C indicated temperature and I turned the pump and fan off. 

I have two fans on the radiator now.  I bought and installed another one since my initial post.  I think that was a good call with the temperature almost getting to 60 C with two fans. 

51coronet:
Nice.  Did you add any sort of anti oxidation to the water?  If you have it sealed and intend to keep it sealed I think it would be wise to look into adding something of the sort.  Maybe an anti freeze for the anti corrosion and lubing seals properties it has? 

I currently just run my hoses into a deep sink with a plug in the drain.  The water capacity is more than what the little compressor can heat up in the cooler months.  In the summer I just do a partial exchange of the water to cool it off by draining some off and filling while the compressor is running.

This is a great approach to a sealed system.

customcutter:
You are correct "Bison" copied this guys setup.  There is also a Yong Heng FB group, lots of info there also.  I would suggest raising your water bucket to the same height or above your compressor.  The pump is small and has limited "lift",  it flows better at the same elevation.  I just got my YH compressor and looking at trying to mist the cast iron cylinder.  May not be possible but heat is the enemy of these compressors.  75C is optimistic, you are correct to try to maintain 60C or less.  I even read a post the other day where a couple of guys were adding Tungsten Disulfide to the oil and lowering temps.  Here is one of the YT videos that Bison tried to emulate. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version