Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Getting back into the swing of things  (Read 2206 times - 1 votes) 
)

Offline shadow

• Shadow...ole critter getter
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Getting back into the swing of things
« on: October 15, 2017, 02:44:20 PM »
It's been a busy couple months with the emergency trip down to my dads' all is good :D and getting back and then caught up on fall chores and getting some shooters finished up and out the door. I finally took the time to get with the resident who understood but was getting critter raiding parties which have been showing up early just before dark to take a run at the chickens in their coop.

I decided to set up early down at the ole hide and after getting it ship shape settled in around 6:30pm last night despite the off and on rain and once settled in all just fell back into place with the ole zen feel kicking back in.

With enough rounds through this shooter and it loving the 14.3g CPHP's The .22 Gamo Whisper was ready and we just hunkered down and held still waiting for possible coop raiders.

It wasn't twenty minutes when I spotted something moving down the trail and with the white coat I knew already that we had a C-rat coming in so with the shooter in position I dropped behind the glass and just let myself ease into the moment.

The C-rat took it's sweet time as it moved at a snails pace stopping to sniff around the trail and I told myself the next time it holds up and presents a shot were taking it.

This fella was moving slow enough to even give me time to laser it with the rangefinder several times and then finally holding up again and presenting a side profile and knew this would be the time if there was one.

I settled in real comfy like and watched through the glass as it moved slighty to the side of the trail then dropped it's head for a sniff. I locked the cross hairs on and let the lead loose.

The lead hammered home and dropped the C-rat onto it's side but what a death dance the wildest one I've seen from a C-rat but gave in to the lead injection shortly after.

I could smell rain coming in and the clouds above looked angry so quickly got a range reading which came to 32yrds then scooted down the trail gloved up and ready to get some pics and get out before Ma Nature spoke her mind. We have a year around season on C-rat and works for me since I eat what I harvest and was back home dressing the big male out as the rain cut loose. The C-rat took the lead right in the front profile sweetspot and happy to see that I can still point and hit dem critters where it counts and felt great to be back in the timber. Ed
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 02:47:36 PM by shadow »
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
Re: Getting back into the swing of things
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 02:54:38 PM »
Very nice Bro Ed! Great to see you back on the hunt !
  • NY
22 Disco, Hammerli 850 22, Beeman RS3 22 ,Gamo viper express,Crosman 180 22 . One of many Dave's  ;) Forum Rules-  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=919.msg6662#msg6662

Offline BenjiHunter

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper ubi, sub ubi.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 03:08:45 PM »
Awesome shot, pictures and story, brother Ed!!
  • Surahammar, Sweden
Webley Patriot .25 . 30FPE
Benjamin 392, Leapers 3-9X32 BugBuster. 12FPE
Mac1 Steroid 392, Leapers 3-9X32 BugBuster. 22FPE
Mac1 1322 FT,  Hawke Sport HD IR 3-9X40 AO. ?FPE
Rats shot 2016 = 40
Rats shot 2017 = 85
Rats shot 2018 = 3 and counting

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 04:49:03 PM »
Thank you kindly hunt brothers :D and real good to get back out into Ma Nature and reconnect. Things slowing some on some of the coop raiders bandits and C-rats which is good for the resident but the fall into winter season will bring out the predators like the Fox and hopefully a yote or two to maybe take a run at the coop and nab my first harvest on them.

Also looking for the Squirrel and Rabbit season to open and work on putting some meat in the icebox. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 05:44:12 PM »
From feast back to famine but no surprise as the chilly season is setting in and slowing down the raiding activity. Still out checking cams and doing some night pest control but looking forward to Squirrel season and bunny season soon. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline only1harry

• One of the original 3 GTA Musketeers (per Gene Curtis)
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! (come and get them)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »
Nice job with the Whisper bro Ed, and right before the rain.  Perfect timing :)
  • Hudson Valley, NY
Pro-tuned guns:

AF Condor .25 #1,  Condor .25 #2
Condor .22,  Marauder .25,  Disco .22 camo
RWS Diana 350 .22,  RWS Diana 48 .22,
RWS 34K .20 Premium #17 of 30 custom built by Diana
RWS Diana 36 .177  (Gene & Bob tuned)

Factory stock & home tuned:

Benji Akela .22 bullpup
Gauntlet .22,  Disco .22 #2,
Fortitude .22, Prod .22
RWS 350 .177,  RWS 5G .177
Hammerli 850 .22,  Crosman 2240KT
Remington NPSS .22, Umarex M&P 45
Crosman 66,  Crosman 760, Beeman P17
Crosman Air17,  Crosman 38T
Several other Umarex & Crosman CO2 pistols

Offline A.K.A. Tommy Boy

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Small Game Hunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 04:22:16 PM »
Good Shooting there Ed !   Disco Dave is starting to catch up to you on the Bandits.      Best Wishes - Tom
7 Breakbarrels & 1 Multi Pump made by Hatsan, Crosman & Umarex in .25  .22  .177 Calibers

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• Beginning the next chapter
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Me at Devils Tower Wyoming 8-13-2000
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »
As usual nice shooting Ed
  • Mesa Arizona
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut For Sale
Brocock Sniper .25
Rainstorm II .22 For Sale
FX Crown .25 w/600 mm Barrel
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177 For Sale
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22 For Sale
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe For Sale
RWS D34 .22
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot For Sale
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »
Thanks brothers and brother Dave get after em since they are as well as other night dwellers down to an occasional sighting here :(. I'm ramping up for nutter and bunny season and hope to bag a yote one of these days. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »
Good to see you back ! ( I was getting the flaming nutter ready  :D ) I got 2 back in Oct (last post was Oct 28th - https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=134161.0  )
  • NY
22 Disco, Hammerli 850 22, Beeman RS3 22 ,Gamo viper express,Crosman 180 22 . One of many Dave's  ;) Forum Rules-  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=919.msg6662#msg6662

Offline A.K.A. Tommy Boy

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Small Game Hunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 07:56:53 PM »
I'm glad your back & UP-in-Running...Ed !      My Best Wishes and Happy Hunting for You !     Go Get Em - Tom
7 Breakbarrels & 1 Multi Pump made by Hatsan, Crosman & Umarex in .25  .22  .177 Calibers

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 05:05:50 PM »
Thanks brothers and looks like the C-rats are replacing the Bandits and making nightly runs at the coop from what the ole game cam is showing me. It's getting on the chilly side here but will make a go of it tonight and see if I can put alittle something in the icebox. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am