GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

What a day ! What a hunt ! ...a .50 story.

(1/9) > >>

Nomadic Pirate:
I hope I can remember everything right and I'm able to convey it properly.

So, today I was carrying my Sniper .50 cal, plan was to drop into this river bed and hunt upriver to a certain spot, hang out there for a bit and hunt the way out.

I dropped into the thick river bed around 2 PM, as soon as I entered the dark side I could hear  something was happening, I slowed to a painful pace until I run into a group of sandwich sized pigs, you can spot them because they constantly grunt to keep each other in hearing distance,
I just squatted and observed them for a bit just going back and forth in crazy patterns  ;D then one after an other just bedded down like a bunch of kittens,
I didn't want to spook them so I tried my best to get by them, unfortunately once I was on the other side they must have winded me and one after the other took off in a hurry.

What a way to start the day !!

Kept going, through the Mango groove, down to the actual river, cross the river, follow a big game trail, crossed a huge beat up hog area, reached the opposite slope and started going upriver,.....That's when I heard this squeal/grunt, I was planning to go further before stopping and turning back but I found a good spot and stopped to listen for more.

Sure enough an other bout of this squeal/grunt ( hard to explain, it's a mix between a pig squeal and a bear grunt, heard it before by a Boar fighting of a dominant Sow also fighting )

the decision was made to stop here and see what was gonna happen even if this wasn't the plan, settled down on the slope behind a big rock

Swear to god only minutes later I heard something behind me up the slope, turning around I spotted this little black football size hog making his way down to me, decided not to shoot it and watch it make it all the way to about 3 yards from me   ;D that was cool.

not long after he was gone I heard the unmistakable sound once again of small hogs grunting, soon after a troop of sandwich sized pigs came down the valley, crossed in front of me and continued in their way.

soon after that I heard a sound I haven't heard in a long, long time

finally I spotted the maker, a Kaghi pheasant with several hens, that is incredible, Kaghi pheasant is not known to be in this mountain range, so i was stoked to see them and watched as they made the way down the valley slowly, ....WOW so much going on and at the same time occasionally the squeal/grunt would keep me staying put.

The day had already been so fulfilling when around 4:30 i spotted this big black shape coming towards me, I was prepared to stalk it if necessary but slowly in a zig zagging way it kept coming closer, eventually it came into rage at about 25 yards,

gave me a quartering away shot, I choose to take the upper shoulder into the neck shot,

pulled the trigger, the hog rear ended and squealed but never took off, took a few slow steps and collapsed.

WOW, what a day !!!!

SwampHunter:
Great hunt, sounds like an amazing place! I have never been interested in visiting Hawaii but hearing your hunts make me want to check it out!

Nomadic Pirate:
I swear,
today was a day I wish I had someone with a camera behind me,
the sights and sounds would have made for an outstanding video, I can't even come close to describe the events like a video would have captured them,.....it was honestly insane from beginning to end.

A.K.A. Tommy Boy:
Congratulations Manny !         Fantastic Hog !      Very Interesting Hunting Story !

All in all... a Really Great Hunt.

It brings back good memories of when I used to Big Game hunt in my younger years.

Best Wishes - Tom

Gertrude:
Well you certainly had a whole buncha mo' better day than I had. it's been super cold raining for 2 days and going to keep going for 2 more.

GREAT Story Manny, and nice hog.

So all dressed out, how much meat do you end up with on a hog that size ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version