GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

Plastic casting

(1/10) > >>

Privateer:
Anyone done this?
I'm thinking of casting a few parts for my AT44's
The front tube and barrel band to be exact.
Alumilite has a starter kit for $70 that looks like it will do what I want.

Mole2017:
I haven't done it, but I have seen several people "recycling" milk bottles and other plastics on youtube. Pour casting isn't going to get much detail (too viscous, of course), but if you can put the pressure on it you'll get results. Some were making blocks and then machining as needed, I think.

Rob M:

--- Quote from: Jeff aka Privateer on February 08, 2018, 12:26:42 AM ---Anyone done this?
I'm thinking of casting a few parts for my AT44's
The front tube and barrel band to be exact.
Alumilite has a starter kit for $70 that looks like it will do what I want.

--- End quote ---

70 dollars isn't cheap , especially when a monoprice delta mini is now 159.99

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=107&cp_id=10724&cs_id=1072403&p_id=21666

Mole2017:
Wow, $160 for a 3D printer...prices keep dropping!

However, now that I looked up Alumilite, I see I missed Jeff's question. I once bought some plastic casting resin by mistake, thinking it was the clear stuff. I made some--it mixes just like epoxy--but for the life of me I can't remember it's properties. I can mix another batch. If you can get to a Hobby Lobby, Michael's or similar you can look at the stuff on the shelf and maybe select just what you need.

Wayne52:
3D printers are very cool, I've had my eyes on them for quite some time now.  The hard part is making the model for them to make, I've got blender in this computer and a model can be made with that as well as Cad Cam but Cad Cam software is ultra expensive but it's the greatest from what I understand.  Blender ain't for the faint of heart at all, it takes a lot of learning and since I've had it I've already forgotten a bunch, it's something a person has to stay right on top of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version