GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > German AirGun Gate

Is there a competitor for the HW 50?

(1/11) > >>

HOSPassassin:
The title essentially says it all. Is there a serious competitor to the HW 50 that is similar in size, weight, power level, and intended use? Furthermore, is it available in the USA?

From my perspective it seems like spring and ram powered rifles here in the USA fall into three very general groups.

1. Small, 5-8 ft-lb guns that appear to be primarily youth-oriented. Examples: HW 30/R7, Crosman Tyro, Hatsan Alpha, Diana Two-Forty, Stoeger s3000.

2. "Adult-sized," 15 or so ft-lbs: most Gamos, HW 95/97/98/77/80, Diana 34/340, AA TX200, many Crosman and Benjamin breakbarrels.

3. "Monster magnums," 20+ ft-lbs, long as a telephone pole: Gamo Magnum, Hatsan 125/135/130, Diana 350/460, Benjamin Trail. HW 90 sort of fits here.

AAAANNND, then we have the HW 50, considered by many aficionados to be the finest multi-purpose spring piston gun in the world. It's light enough to carry, powerful enough to pest or hunt (within reason), accurate enough to compete informally, and just the right size and proportions that it fits a lot of people very well.

Why does no one else make something like this? An HW 35 shoots at a similar power level, but its dimensions are a lot different. I saw something once called a "Gamo Forest" that looked like it might have been meant to compete with the HW 50 but that was several years ago and it has disappeared.

If everyone loves the basic idea of an HW 50, why does nobody make them except Weihrauch? I don't know if there are even any Chinese clones out there.

caudie:
Crosman Optimus
        HW50 - 6.8 lbs  vs Crosman Optimus - 6.5 lbs
        HW50 - 40.55" in length  vs Optimus  .177 - 44"  in length
                                               vs Optimus .22 - 42.2" in length

Remove the 1 1/2 in spacer on the rear guide & replace with stacked washers - any power level between about 5 FPE to Full Power - without cutting the OEM Spring at all.

I have 2 Optimus's - one in .177 and one in .22 - both detuned.  The .177 with 6 washers (.075 x 6 = .45")  to a little over  10 FPE and the .22 with
2 washers (.075 x 2 = .15")  to about 11.5 FPE.  Both have the roller-bearing mod which greatly improves the trigger.  Easiest break barrel I know
of  to tune to any level you want.  These are my HW50 clones.

c_m_shooter:
Just the BSA Meteor Super.   Seems most reviews were not good initially, so I don't know how it has done sales wise.   

Not "everyone" appreciates the balance of power and handling.  We americans are used to supersized everything and that translates to airguns as well.  If we can't hit targets with a magnum, we are upgrading to PCP and may as well get the .25 because we can.   

HOSPassassin:

--- Quote from: c_m_shooter on April 09, 2024, 02:39:21 PM ---

Not "everyone" appreciates the balance of power and handling.  We americans are used to supersized everything and that translates to airguns as well.  If we can't hit targets with a magnum, we are upgrading to PCP and may as well get the .25 because we can.   

--- End quote ---
Sadly, you're probably right. I like tools that are simple, ergonomic, and properly sized/suited for their purpose. We Americans seem to like to buy the biggest and best up front, even if it's ridiculously over-capable, "just in case." It annoys me.

Mark 611:
An HW35 comes to mine so does the COMETA 400 series if you detune it! this is just my opinion, the COMETA Fenix 400 USC is available in the USA, IMO because I have owned several of them in .22cal including the Compact STAR models, the USC comes in around 7lbs, they have 2 stage adjustable triggers for both 1st and 2nd stage adjustments, and you can make them better with just a spring change and adjustments, far better than the Crosman guns IMO, my 400 Star Compact is de tuned to 512fps with 14.3gn Crosman Pointed hunting pellets, it a ragged hole shooter half the size of your pinky nail at 23yds, I have no problems shooting pest birds with this rifle out to 40yds and beyond with a MILDOT scope! YMMV  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version