GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

Diana 60 Tyro...perfection by committee

(1/2) > >>

MDriskill:
A bit of history to begin:
+ 1963: DIana's model 60 introduced. First of their double-piston, recoilless Giss-system rifles.
+ 1968: Model 60 superceded as Diana's top match rifle by the model 65. Locked breech, heavier barrel sleeve, better stock, internal changes.
+ 1974: Model 65 discontinued, replaced by the model 66. Same action in a revised stock with more angular styling.
+ 1977: Model 66 discontinued, replaced by the model 75. Fabulous fixed-barrel, sidelever, sliding breech, 10-meter paper-punching wonder.

BUT...throughout all this, the model 60 refused to die, remaining as Diana's budget/junior match rifle until about 1983. This is a Tyro-stocked, US-import, RWS-marked very late model 60 from 1982:

I picked up this beauty many years ago at the old Roanoke airgun show. The action and stock looked great, but the seals and springs were toast, and the gun was "naked" - no sights or barrel sleeve. Over the years, and with the help of some pals, I managed to track down all the right bits. Along the way, the model 60 saw some minor changes, many being "trickle downs" from the later models.

1: The basic gun.
2: Internal rebuild by former Beeman master mechanic Randy Bimrose. 680 FPS+ with light ammo, Randy said it was the hardest-shooting 60 he'd ever seen.
3:* Correct late double-sleeved front sight from another airgun show.
4:* Correct Diopter 75 sight with English markings found on the infamous auction site. Most 60's had the earlier, more rounded Diopter 60 sight.
5: Lovely matte-finished eye disc and rubber cup, another gun show find.
6:* Weird front trigger blade, in a bag of parts I got from a German auction. This is not a double-set trigger...just a way to adjust the reach to the trigger blade!
7:* And some true "UNOBTAINIUM" - the correct, matte-finished barrel sleeve, by way of a friend's trememdous generosity. Most 60's had a blued sleeve, these late matte ones are very rare. This is the only one I've ever seen - I'm really excited to have it!

(* = late detail not seen on early model 60's)

I will save more blabbing about details for another post, but here's some pics. These old DIanas are IMHO quite underrated as collectibles - the metal finish, oil-finished wood, gorgeous checkering, and other details are just superb.

Roadworthy:
Beautiful gun.  Thanks for sharing the pictures and the history.

Andrew:
Simply stunning.

Seems to have the perfect combination for us enthusiasts, a mix between the HW 55T being a barrel cocker with a Tyrol stock and effortless recoilless shooting like the Diana 75

Diana got it right with the 60.

SwampHunter:
Beautiful gun, but can you explain how the trigger works?

MDriskill:

--- Quote from: Andrew on June 06, 2023, 12:36:46 AM ---Simply stunning.

Seems to have the perfect combination for us enthusiasts, a mix between the HW 55T being a barrel cocker with a Tyrol stock and effortless recoilless shooting like the Diana 75

Diana got it right with the 60.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Andrew and I agree! Think of an HW 55 that has zero recoil and an even better trigger, you got the D60.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version