Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: U.S. Airgun Laws By State  (Read 21416 times))

Offline Matt15

• Slugger
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • What can I say, I like to tinker. :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 12:26:11 PM by ezman604 »
  • Il
Tuned Webley Patriot .25  28 FPE 
Benjamin Trail np pistol: 400 fps
Crosman 2100 12 pumps= 790 fps with 7.9 gr pellet

2017-2018 Squirrel Season
Squirrels: 20

2016-2017 Squirrel Season
The Total was:
15 Fox Squirrels
11 grey squirrels

Offline ezman604

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Plain ole' Admin
    • GTA Members Map
Re: Air gun laws.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 06:11:34 PM »
This is a good one to sticky. BUT, please be aware that even if there are no federal laws and your state may NOT have any airgun laws, a city, community, parish or township MAY have laws on their books. I found this out recently while looking for properties. Three of the four surrounding cities have ordinances on the books denying the use of airguns (or even slingshots) within the city limits. I am in the process of asking for amendment, rewrite or just the rewording of the ordinances.
Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me & innards by kiwi Pete)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (converted to NP & w/GRT-III)
Weihrauch HW97K .177
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (home tuned by muwah with Tuna trigger)
Stoeger X-20 RAMmed by Gene and Tuna trigger
Winchester 1000SX .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
Winchester 1000B RAMmed by Gene
Crosman 1377 "Goldfinger"
Disco .22 Multi-Shot Custom

Ain't this a great place to be

Offline Matt15

• Slugger
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • What can I say, I like to tinker. :)
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:14:39 PM »
This is a good one to sticky. BUT, please be aware that even if there are no federal laws and your state may NOT have any airgun laws, a city, community, parish or township MAY have laws on their books. I found this out recently while looking for properties. Three of the four surrounding cities have ordinances on the books denying the use of airguns (or even slingshots) within the city limits. I am in the process of asking for amendment, rewrite or just the rewording of the ordinances.

Thanks Dave!
  • Il
Tuned Webley Patriot .25  28 FPE 
Benjamin Trail np pistol: 400 fps
Crosman 2100 12 pumps= 790 fps with 7.9 gr pellet

2017-2018 Squirrel Season
Squirrels: 20

2016-2017 Squirrel Season
The Total was:
15 Fox Squirrels
11 grey squirrels

Offline jaed.43725

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Re: U.S. Airgun Laws By State
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 07:31:07 PM »
It got NC wrong. I knew something wasnt right with it.

Under G. S. § 14-316, a person may not knowingly permit a child under the age of twelve
(12) to have access to or possession, custody, or use of any gun, pistol, or other dangerous
firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, unless the person has the permission of the child's parent
or guardian and the child is under the supervision of an adult. Air rifles, air pistols, and BB guns
shall not be deemed "dangerous firearms" within the meaning of this statute except in: Caldwell,
Durham, Forsyth, Gaston, Haywood, Mecklenburg, Stokes, Union and Vance Counties.
VII. FIREARMS
  • Fayetteville, NC
Webley Vulcan MK2 .177
Benjamin BlueStreak (Steroid tuned)
Hatsan BT65SB .25

Offline mobilemail

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 09:08:07 PM »
"In Illinois, air guns are no longer considered as firearms effective on July 13 2012. Air guns over .18 caliber must have a velocity below 700 feet per second (FPS). Air guns are prohibited in Aurora Illinois."

Poorly stated. Airguns under .18 cal and larger calibers shooting less than 700fps are not considered firearms.  Beyond that an IL Firearm Owners ID is required. And now that there are big bores that may live on the fringe of this law (think of a .50 shooting 650-699fps, and its resulting fpe), I think it's wise to live on the side of caution.  It is, after all, IL.
  • Greene County IL 62016
Hey Daystate, FX, Air Arms and BSA - we need those left handed rifles!!!

Offline Geoff

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 10:42:02 AM »
Greenwood Indiana City Ordinance

From the following it does not seem that we can shoot ANYTHING in our own backyard.   :o

"Sec.6-331 DischargeofFirearmsandotherWeapons.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge,shoot,or otherwise use any weapon except
as provided by Ind. Code§35-41-3-2orfor practice at a range approved by the Chief of Police.

(b) It shall be unlawful to shoot across or upon any public street or place or toward a public
way from any private premises,any bullet,pellet,missile or object impelled, from any gun,
firearm, pistol,or weapon operated by means of any explosive charge,or by springs, air
pressure,or other means,or impelled from a slingshot, or any other device having force
directed by the user thereof except as provided by Ind. Code§35-41-3-2.

the Code it refers to says the following

(a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person: (1) is justified in using deadly force; and (2) does not have a duty to retreat; if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary. (b) A person: (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and (2) does not have a duty to retreat; if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle. (c) With respect to property other than a dwelling, curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against another person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect. However, a person: (1) is justified in using deadly force; and (2) does not have a duty to retreat; only if that force is justified under subsection (a). (d) A person is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person and does not have a duty to retreat if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or stop the other person from hijacking, attempting to hijack, or otherwise seizing or attempting to seize unlawful control of an aircraft in flight. For purposes of this subsection, an aircraft is considered to be in flight while the aircraft is: (1) on the ground in Indiana: (A) after the doors of the aircraft are closed for takeoff; and (B) until the aircraft takes off; (2) in the airspace above Indiana; or (3) on the ground in Indiana: (A) after the aircraft lands; and (B) before the doors of the aircraft are opened after landing. (e) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (b), and (c), a person is not justified in using force if: (1) the person is committing or is escaping after the commission of a crime; (2) the person provokes unlawful action by another person with intent to cause bodily injury to the other person; or (3) the person has entered into combat with another person or is the initial aggressor unless the person withdraws from the encounter and communicates to the other person the intent to do so and the other person nevertheless continues or threatens to continue unlawful action. (f) Notwithstanding subsection (d), a person is not justified in using force if the person: (1) is committing, or is escaping after the commission of, a crime; (2) provokes unlawful action by another person, with intent to cause bodily injury to the other person; or (3) continues to combat another person after the other person withdraws from the encounter and communicates the other person's intent to stop hijacking, attempting to hijack, or otherwise seizing or attempting to seize unlawful control of an aircraft in flight. As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.1. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.8; Acts 1979, P.L.297, SEC.1; P.L.59-2002, SEC.1; P.L.189-2006, SEC.1. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/incode/35/41/3/35-41-3-2#sthash.kw2sEsGs.dpuf
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:44:25 AM by Geoffrey_K »
  • Indiana
*****  Check out GTA chat  *****

Mrod 177cal  LW barrel
Disco double with BNM breech and shroud 22 cal
prod double tube
prod
RWS 52  177
CFX 177
TX200HC 177
397P nickel
daisy 853
2250xt
Winchester 850 22
2289 backpacker
umarex octane 22
beeman silver kodiak
Beretta Storm CX4
umarex fusion
crosman 1077
xs60c 22cal

CP1M  177 cal
Browning 800 mag 22 cal
crosman 357
Daisy 717

Offline Hoebie

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 09:09:56 AM »
Good info for my newbie self, thanks.
  • Sequim, WA

Offline youngkow

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 05:21:21 PM »
Yes, thank you for this!  Now to go through our municiple's codes....
  • Chicago, IL

Offline Tater

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Insert creative saying here
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 05:29:58 PM »
Yes, thank you for this!  Now to go through our municiple's codes....

Do you live in Chicago city limits or suburb?
  • NW suburbs of Chicago
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .177, DonnyFL Sumo ldc
.22 Disco/Maximus mix, Rocker1 ldc
Gamo Hornet .177
1377, steel breech, TKO, 12" barrel, R. Arms Innovations AR stock

Offline Airriflehunter

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 03:39:27 PM »
They also missed on Texas.  It is illegal to take any game bird or game animal in Texas other than squirrel.  Per the 2015-2016 Texas Parks and Wildlife Outdoor Annual:

Hunting Means and Methods

Firearms

Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, except:

white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
pellet guns and other air guns are not legal for the take of any game bird or game animal other than squirrel. To be lawful for the take of squirrel, an air rifle must be designed to be fired from the shoulder and use the force of a spring, air, or other non-ignited compressed gas to expel a projectile of at least .177 caliber (4.5mm) at a minimum muzzle velocity of 600 feet per second.
fully automatic firearms are not legal.
a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds (see Definitions - Legal Shotgun).
(@*#&%(*@&) may be used to take any wildlife resource; however, all federal, state and local laws continue to apply.
Nongame Animals (Non-Protected) may be hunted with any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun.

I'd advise people not to depend on a website list, and instead check their state and local laws.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:41:29 PM by Airriflehunter »
  • Bandera

Offline 39M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 05:17:27 PM »
They also missed on Texas.  It is illegal to take any game bird or game animal in Texas other than squirrel.  Per the 2015-2016 Texas Parks and Wildlife Outdoor Annual:

Firearms

white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
pellet guns and other air guns are not legal for the take of any game bird or game animal other than squirrel. To be lawful for the take of squirrel, an air rifle must be designed to be fired from the shoulder and use the force of a spring, air, or other non-ignited compressed gas to expel a projectile of at least .177 caliber (4.5mm) at a minimum muzzle velocity of 600 feet per second.
a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds (see Definitions - Legal Shotgun).
(@*#&%(*@&) may be used to take any wildlife resource; however, all federal, state and local laws continue to apply.
Nongame Animals (Non-Protected) may be hunted with any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun.

I'd advise people not to depend on a website list, and instead check their state and local laws.
Non-game animals is what I'm not sure about. I would think that would include all non-native species, including: collared dove, pigeons, wild hogs, and a few others; as well as native non-game animals: rabbits, coyotes, maybe coons and possums and some others.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:19:25 PM by 39M »
  • Texas
"You'll shoot your eye out kid!"

POWERLINE 35
Blue Streak. 1377. 880
Blackhawk Elite. Daisy 131.
Remington Vantage 1200.
CRUSHER NP.
Torpedo 100x .177

Offline stanley1131

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 05:35:28 PM »
Wow I can't believe airguns are classified as firearms in certain states
  • california

Offline Airriflehunter

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 05:46:37 PM »

Firearms

Non-game animals is what I'm not sure about. I would think that would include all non-native species, including: collared dove, pigeons, wild hogs, and a few others; as well as native non-game animals: rabbits, coyotes, maybe coons and possums and some others.

Here's the definition of a game animal in Texas:

PARKS AND WILDLIFE CODE

TITLE 5. WILDLIFE AND PLANT CONSERVATION

SUBTITLE B. HUNTING AND FISHING

CHAPTER 63. GAME AND NONGAME ANIMALS

SUBCHAPTER A. GAME ANIMALS

Sec. 63.001.  GAME ANIMALS.  (a)  The following animals are game animals:  mule deer, white-tailed deer, pronghorn antelope, desert bighorn sheep, gray or cat squirrels, fox squirrels or red squirrels, and collared peccary or javelina.
(b)  No species of any animal set out in Subsection (a) of this section or any other animal is a game animal if it is not indigenous to this state.

As far as I understand non-game animals are fair game, and I would say your statement is correct.  I know I've shot plenty of rabbits, and coyotes with an air rifle. 
  • Bandera

Offline 39M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 06:11:33 PM »
They don't list any birds, but I'm pretty sure that all game birds are shotgun only.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 06:13:31 PM by 39M »
  • Texas
"You'll shoot your eye out kid!"

POWERLINE 35
Blue Streak. 1377. 880
Blackhawk Elite. Daisy 131.
Remington Vantage 1200.
CRUSHER NP.
Torpedo 100x .177

Offline bavaria55n

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 01:56:58 PM »

If you can get a state wide pre-emption bill passed it will stop the law changes every time you cross a county/township/city border but it is not easy to do.
You might still have 'bad' laws but they will be uniform.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:59:05 PM by bavaria55n »
  • Illinois

Offline SteveP-52

• I just lurk, I'm no longer a
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 12:09:25 AM »
I live in New York, which says air guns are considered a firearm, and the small town I live in says this:

§ 248-2. Definitions.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
WEAPON
Includes any firearm, air or other gas gun, or bow and arrow.
§ 248-4. Permit required; issuance; additional restrictions; term.

A. Upon application by the owner of land within the Village of Medina, the Chief of Police of the Village of Medina may issue a permit for the discharge of weapons thereon. If, following review, the Chief of Police determines that the discharge of weapons on the land area covered by the application will not violate any applicable law or regulations hereafter adopted by the Village Board or cause hazard to persons or property, he shall issue a permit to the owner authorizing the discharge of weapons on his land or such part thereof as the Chief of Police shall determine.

B. The Chief of Police may further establish conditions or restrictions with respect to the permit in order to prevent hazard to persons or property.

C. Each permit shall expire on the 31st of December next succeeding its issuance.

§ 248-5. Penalties for offenses.

[Amended 9-25-1990 by L.L. No. 8-1990 Editor's Note: Amended at time of adoption of Code (see Ch. 1, General Provisions, Art. I). ]

Any person committing an offense against any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be guilty of a violation pursuant to the Penal Law of the State of New York, punishable by a fine of not less than $125 not exceeding $250 or by imprisonment for a term not exceeding 15 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

I wonder if parents buying their kids BB guns for christmas know they need a permit to use them...sheeshhhhh, glad I read this!!
  • Buffalo, NY, USA

upthehill

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 07:51:32 PM »
Maine hunting law definitions include air guns as firearms for the purpose of hunting.
it is legal in Maine to hunt anything with an air gun except if a particular gun / caliber is stated.
e.g. night time raccoon is limited to single shot 22LR and turkey is either shotgun or archery.

so if you want to hunt black bears or moose with an air gun, come to Maine (the way life should be, as  the sign at the border says

Offline jaed.43725

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 10:07:36 PM »
Maine hunting law definitions include air guns as firearms for the purpose of hunting.
it is legal in Maine to hunt anything with an air gun except if a particular gun / caliber is stated.
e.g. night time raccoon is limited to single shot 22LR and turkey is either shotgun or archery.

so if you want to hunt black bears or moose with an air gun, come to Maine (the way life should be, as  the sign at the border says

I have been watching that Northwoods Law. And I can tell you what state I will never move to. Your guys laws trip me out.
  • Fayetteville, NC
Webley Vulcan MK2 .177
Benjamin BlueStreak (Steroid tuned)
Hatsan BT65SB .25

upthehill

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »

I have been watching that Northwoods Law. And I can tell you what state I will never move to. Your guys laws trip me out.

don't believe everything (or anything) you see on "reality" TV shows. they usually have nothing to do with reality and everything to do with making the producers richer.

Offline stealthhunt

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 01:07:16 PM »
this is a good post! thx
  • Stockton, CA
Daisy Powerline 693 Pistol .177
B3-4 Titan Tytan .177
Diana Model 60 .177
Gamo stalker .177
Benjamin Discovery w/ BNM breech.22