GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

5/8-18 Bottle Filler Attachment??

(1/3) > >>

BigBird:
Is this doable?

I got it in my head I might be able to make a fill adapter.  Not sure if it is possible if not ill make it into some other bottle fixture.  Maybe it is easier to just use a regulator and bypass?  I havent worked on using the bellville washers in a regulator yet.  The big end is only about 1".

Questions I am having right now: for the bottle end shut off should I make a needle point that goes into a delrin doughnut (internal as drawn) or a small poppet retained by a spring in the 5/8-18 threaded end?  I figure push the .125" rod attached to the poppet from the top side.

Then, how do I place orings on the top for sealing so it doesn't stick and prevent closing?

BigBird:
How long of thread engagement makes a good marriage?
I've got a cooked one and a 90° one but they both stick out.  I think I am good but wanted to check.

Up to 4500PSI in the screw threaded fill atrachment (I may need a different nipple as I grabbed a CO2 one) and 3200 psi in the tube end.

sb327:
I’m not going to say your thread engagement is good or bad.

I will say threading 1/8” npt into a semi blind hole such as this takes me 4 different taps, 3 of which have been ground off progressively shorter. This allows me to bury most of the threads.

Dave

OTmachine:

--- Quote from: sb327 on October 28, 2021, 06:13:22 PM ---
I will say threading 1/8” npt into a semi blind hole such as this takes me 4 different taps, 3 of which have been ground off progressively shorter. This allows me to bury most of the threads.

Dave

--- End quote ---
Sounds about right.  Kinda difficult to make a NPT Plug Tap.    Rule of thumb for thread engagement: Thread Depth equals Screw Diameter.  More threads are always better.

BigBird:

--- Quote from: sb327 on October 28, 2021, 06:13:22 PM ---I’m not going to say your thread engagement is good or bad.

Dave

--- End quote ---

Ok. I like constructive criticism.   I will test this with a hydraulic pump first but good to know up front. I thought about making a bottom tap. I bought another tap recently. At least I'd have one more depth.  Where does most the sealing take place at the bottom where threads hit the uncut side or at the rear of the threads?

I have to tap for a burst disk   Is that 5/16-24?  I have regs that I haven't taken them off yet.

Not screwed in all the way here.

Low hole for sealing area clearance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version