GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Will this be a better season?

(1/41) > >>

Bicycleman:

September 10, 2021  (The peak of the Atlantic Hurricane Season!)

Hello everyone.  I hope you are well or getting well!
Today is the beginning of my 2021 Fall/Winter Squirrel Season.  The Tennessee season actually opened on August 28.  But it was too hot for me at that time and the ticks, chiggers, and mosquitos are not to my liking.  So, I wait until the morning temperatures are below 55ºF.
Guess who overslept on the morning of his first hunt.  Yep, I did snooze a little extra.  I didn't get to the woods until after the sun was shining.  But that means I could see the squirrels as I was walking to the woods.  And see them I did.  Well, actually, I could see the movement of the leaves that they were causing.  Finally, after about an hour, I saw the big girl in the first picture.  She was peacefully feeding high in a Hickory tree.  I watched her for about ten minutes [while telling myself to be patient].  Finally, I took a shot.  WOW, she dropped like a stone  --  no flinch, clawing of the branch, or surprise jump.  She just fell.  After the photo op was done, I measured the distance back to my hunting spot with my new laser range finder/Golf Pin distance measuring device = approximately 93 feet to the ground.  That would mean that the distance to the branch the squirrel was on would probably be over 40 yards.  Yes, I am proud of that shot.  It was a clean through shoulder shot.
Squirrel #2 below was taken about 1.5 hours later, and also in the trees.  This young Gray female offered me a shot when she paused on a naked limb about 40 - 50 feet up in the tree.  Again, I witnessed that 'she dropped like a stone' thing happening again.  When I retrieved her, I realized she had taken the JSB in the shoulder like #1 had.  Same type of hit; same type of dead drop.  This Gray fell in one of the deep canyons in "Canyon Land".  [For those of you seeing my Squirrel Season thread for the first time, I hunt in a very rocky area of Tennessee appropriately named Rockvale.  There are a series of canyons laid out roughly East - West throughout most of the woods where I hunt.  Hard hunting; but usually very productive.]
Because I had a doctor appointment in the early afternoon, I ended my hunt after retrieving this second squirrel.  The time was approximately 10 a.m.
Keep watching this thread.  This is just the beginning.

A.K.A. Tommy Boy:
NICE !     Good shooting Mike.

Best Wishes - Tom

Lt. Dan:
Yes, Good shooting Mike.
Our fall squirrel season begins on October 1st.   This summer I had 6 squirrels in the Bradford pear tree at one time so I'm looking for a bumper year. I've been practicing on 1-1/2" spinners at ranges from 35 -50 yds. At times I'm shooting while sitting on a bucket and using sticks as a forward rest patterned after NCED's setup.

ranchibi:
Mike, congratulations on your first hunt and a successful one at that….great shooting and nice photos! Your marksmanship was spot on!

dk1677:
Nice shooting Mike!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version