Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Low-ish cost long range rifle?  (Read 339 times))

Offline Captain Paul

• Shooter
  • yes
Low-ish cost long range rifle?
« on: June 06, 2021, 11:21:55 AM »
I've got targets set up at 100 and 200 yds that I've been using for .22lr target practice.  What would be a low-ish cost air rifle for those distances?  I have an ATI Nova Liberty in .22 and a hand pump.  I'm thinking getting maybe a Hatsan in .25?  Suggestions?
  • USA, VA, Grayson County

Offline Back_Roads

• I Got A 10 Pump BB Gun :) BB Guns Got Much More Complicated :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st Edition Crosman 760 Pump Master
    • Back_Roads Airgunning
Re: Low-ish cost long range rifle?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 11:40:13 AM »
 Might want to explore this https://www.aeaairgunus.com/collections/aea-challenger-series/products/challenger-standard?token=EC-9A916360CP127805T&variant=35470987100318
 IMO Hasan is not a long range option, though some can do it. another brand to look at is Artemis and the rebranded offerings Diana has of them. I have the equivalent of the Outlaw in .25, accurate enough for longer ranges.
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/artemis-m11-22-and-25-caliber/
  • Wisconsin Collins ;Hunters Paradise; Theres a Sign in town to prove it :)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3hMPAjvTtuu7DoNzBZzuKQ?view_as=subscriber
 Below is a collection of helpful airgun videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLASJo4rBxMImx-kNnbppkIBV86G5Yentf

Offline EdinGa

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 11:47:25 AM »
I've taken my Hatsan Flashpup .25 to 100 yards one time and shot a 1.8 inch group with slugs. I've got a lot of trigger time in it, and I'm sure I can do better, but I think there are a lot of guns out there that would be better choice.
  • Gray, Ga

Offline Madd Hatter

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 11:50:35 AM »
I've got targets set up at 100 and 200 yds that I've been using for .22lr target practice.  What would be a low-ish cost air rifle for those distances?  I have an ATI Nova Liberty in .22 and a hand pump.  I'm thinking getting maybe a Hatsan in .25?  Suggestions?
Banker4 aka Stephen shoots his AVS slugs at moa @ 100 yards out of his liberty. Instead of buying a new rifle why not use that money to buy a compressor.

https://avsslugs.com/

• Juniper woods ranch   AZ
Be like the weather. It don't care what anybody thinks.

10 shots Aspen 25 yards

Offline Captain Paul

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 12:57:20 PM »
Banker4 aka Stephen shoots his AVS slugs at moa @ 100 yards out of his liberty. Instead of buying a new rifle why not use that money to buy a compressor.

That might not be a bad idea.  Yesterday I shot 25 yds bare sights and off hand for the first time and did surprisingly well.  Today I decided to push it and shot 80 yds off a bag and still bare sights.  Took 5 rounds to get the elevation then it was 9 for 10 in the target.  This thing can shoot!

Didn't Banker4 do a bunch of mods to his rifle?  I remember watching a video of his.  My rifle is bone stock except I polished the trigger a bit.

Offline Madd Hatter

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 02:06:35 PM »
He did over the years but if you go to his youtube channel you'll find the first time he tested the liberty. I've done all of the darkcharrisma mods to my liberty as well  but that's for power not accuracy. Only thing Stephen did was recrown the barrel to help accuracy which he also covers in one of his vids. He has 20 grain slugs he sells that would work great in a stock liberty. Deburr around the barrel port is also a good thing to do as there might be burrs left over from when Nova vista drilled the barrel port. It will mar up the projectile. 
  • Juniper woods ranch   AZ
Be like the weather. It don't care what anybody thinks.

10 shots Aspen 25 yards

Offline Back_Roads

• GTA Senior Contributor
    • Back_Roads Airgunning
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 02:30:27 PM »
 My first thought was he got a bad Liberty, but from my experience they are slug shooting tac drivers esp. at the low price.

Offline Captain Paul

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 05:49:47 PM »
Mounted a scope and bipod I had from another rifle.  We'll see how much better my groups get. 

Offline Captain Paul

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 06:53:40 PM »
... and ordered a compressor.  ;)

Offline Back_Roads

• GTA Senior Contributor
    • Back_Roads Airgunning
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 09:43:04 PM »
 Enjoy the low effort air, you may shoot alot more , maybe some pellets too ??? LOL

Offline Captain Paul

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 09:47:19 AM »
Enjoy the low effort air, you may shoot alot more , maybe some pellets too ??? LOL

That's the plan!  :D

Offline MagnumPI45

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 01:53:29 PM »

That might not be a bad idea.  Yesterday I shot 25 yds bare sights and off hand for the first time and did surprisingly well.  Today I decided to push it and shot 80 yds off a bag and still bare sights.  Took 5 rounds to get the elevation then it was 9 for 10 in the target.  This thing can shoot!

Didn't Banker4 do a bunch of mods to his rifle?  I remember watching a video of his.  My rifle is bone stock except I polished the trigger a bit.

The Liberty has been shown to be a accurate long range PCP, also pretty easy to mod. 

I don't think Banker did many mods, mainly drilled transfer port, turned up regulator, added shims and then made his own hammer spring adjuster to get some more power.  He crowned the barrel but I don't think it made much difference.  He made his own wood stocks but I don't think that really made much difference with his groups at 75-100 yards.
  • USA, DE, Wilmington

Offline darkcharisma

• Expert
  • yes
    • DCtunes
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 09:43:24 PM »
If you have money to spare, get into FX streamline used and get a 22 slug liner. then you are good to go.

But i would not discount the Liberty! AVS puts alot of time into slug making and we all know the Liberty is slug ready. You might just have to buy a bunch to different sized slugs to try out on https://avsslugs.com/

He has 2 Libertys, depends on which one you refer to, some is modded all the way, some is mildly modded.
  • SACHSE

Offline Captain Paul

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 07:29:07 AM »
If you have money to spare, get into FX streamline used and get a 22 slug liner. then you are good to go.

But i would not discount the Liberty! AVS puts alot of time into slug making and we all know the Liberty is slug ready. You might just have to buy a bunch to different sized slugs to try out...

He has 2 Libertys, depends on which one you refer to, some is modded all the way, some is mildly modded.

Yep, got a couple AVS slug sample packs on order.  :}

Online DevilsLuck

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • N.U.A.H.-Sharp Shooter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 07:52:51 AM »
While I'm not sure of your own idea of what "low-ish cost" is; I shoot my hundred yard gongs regularly with both my D350, and my D48B. I noticed most replys to your inquiry suggested PCPs, but there are other alternatives, and challenges available if your up to giving springers a try.
  • Pell City, AL
Diana 54 /.22
Daisy 853 /.177
HW77k Special Edition /.22
Diana 48 B /.22
Air Arms TX200 MK III /.22 Walnut
Crosman Storm XT /.177
Crosman P1377 /.177
Crosman SNR .357 /.177
Benjamin Trail NP Pistol /.177 Dumpster fire!
Smith & Wesson M&P 45 /.177
Benjamin Titan GP /.22
Remington Express Synthetic /.22
Crosman F4 /.177
Hatsan 135 QE Carnivore /.30
Diana 350 .22
DPMS Panther A4 Classic /.177
Diana 34 /.177
Umarex Fusion /.177
Crosman Marksman 1010 /BB
Beeman P17 X 2 /.177
Benjamin 392 /.22- out of commission...
Diana Meisterschutz /.177

Offline Captain Paul

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 10:56:55 AM »
While I'm not sure of your own idea of what "low-ish cost" is; I shoot my hundred yard gongs regularly with both my D350, and my D48B. I noticed most replys to your inquiry suggested PCPs, but there are other alternatives, and challenges available if your up to giving springers a try.

Good point.  I started with a CZ break barrel as a kid during the 60's.  It was good fun and a real challenge to hit the old hollow tree way back in the woods that stood well above all the other trees.  No idea how far it was but it seemed like forever before you'd hear the "thunk" meaning you hit your target.  I may get a springer just for fun some day, especially if I see a great deal on something I just can't live without.  ;)

Offline Captain Paul

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 04:21:08 PM »
Got a couple sample packs of AVS slugs from Stephen and using the 20 grain slugs and keeping the tank pressure between 4,000 and 3,000 psi I was easily able to do 1 MOA on my 75 yd range.  I'll be shooting 100 yds very soon!  :D

Offline SILENT SQUIRREL

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 05:48:01 PM »
Got a couple sample packs of AVS slugs from Stephen and using the 20 grain slugs and keeping the tank pressure between 4,000 and 3,000 psi I was easily able to do 1 MOA on my 75 yd range.  I'll be shooting 100 yds very soon!  :D
One of these days (before any tuning or mods) when you get to shooting over a Chrony below 3k psi I'd like to know where the rifle falls off the regulator, please.
Emphasis on "one of these days"
No rush!!!
Thanks
Ed

• The other Washington
LOL??? No way!! Either you get it or you don't.

Offline Captain Paul

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 06:14:54 PM »
One of these days (before any tuning or mods) when you get to shooting over a Chrony below 3k psi I'd like to know where the rifle falls off the regulator, please.
No rush!!!
Thanks
Ed

Unfortunately I don't have a chrony (although I probably should get one).  But yesterday (before my compressor was delivered) I decided I was bored and set up a target at roughly 25-30 yds and shot some JSB 18.1 grain pellets I had.  I started at 3,000 psi and continued shooting until it was just under 2,000 psi.  After sighting in the scope I continued to shoot a single ragged hold on the bull's eye that could have been covered with a nickel.  Not very scientific nor is 25 yds long range, but I think it's further evidence that this Liberty can shoot pretty darn well!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 06:31:05 PM by Captain Paul »

Offline EdinGa

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 06:35:21 PM »
No rush!!!
Thanks
Ed

Unfortunately I don't have a chrony (although I probably should get one).  But yesterday (before my compressor was delivered) I decided I was bored and set up a target at roughly 25-30 yds and shot some JSB 18.1 grain pellets I had.  I started at 3,000 psi and continued shooting until it was just under 2,000 psi.  After sighting in the scope I continued to shoot a single ragged hold on the bull's eye that could have been covered with a nickel.  Not very scientific nor is 25 yds long range, but I think it's further evidence that this Liberty can shoot pretty darn well!

I already had a chronograph for PB load development, but I've found it to be even more useful for airgun tuning. The Caldwell Ballistic Precision isn't very expensive, and it works well.

I also have one of these and it's great because it isn't dependent on an external light source.

https://www.combro.com/
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 06:38:15 PM by EdinGa »
  • Gray, Ga