Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: So, I have a scope to mount and some leftover green Loctite....  (Read 460 times))

Offline JuryRigger

• Expert
Re: So, I have a scope to mount and some leftover green Loctite....
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 10:08:41 PM »
Having technical difficulties posting pics, not that it was important anyways just odd... The old rings "leaned" to one side; while the new ones sat level like they should...
Old rings-

New rings-

Jesse
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:05:53 PM by JuryRigger »
  • Buckeye State
"Power is in tearing humans minds to pieces and putting them together again in shapes of your own choosing"
George Orwell
"Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm"
Abraham Lincoln
In the shadows of a golden age...
Can you see that writing?
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Online Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 08:35:52 AM »
I don't understand the problem with the rings. They're UTG rings? If so they are cast and then machined for fasteners. There should be enough room in the fastener holes to allow the caps and base to center properly on the scope tube. They're decent rings and will get the job done but you can't expect high end tolerances from ten dollar rings. I used them for years but when my budget allowed I moved away from UTG rings (and scopes). I now use Sportsmatch rings. They're better made and very reasonably priced for the quality.

Second thought is if you over tighten the rings you can bend the ears out of shape. By time this happens you'd likely have kinked the scope tube and figured out the deformed rings.
  • USA,  NY
Hw30- .177- Vortek PG2, Peep sights
Hw30 Laminate- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
Hw30-.177 Vortek PG3 steel, Hawke Vantage IR 2-7x32 AO
Hw50- .177- Vortek PG3, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
Hw50- .22 - Vortek PG2, Peep sights
Hw95- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
Hw97SE (Green 77 Laminate stock)-.177 Vortek PG3, Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax
P1- 0.20 now .177

Online avator

• Global Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 10:29:38 AM »
Ronů I don't think the OP's issue is with the screws that secure the scope to the rings. I think he is referring to the screws that secure the rings to the rail on the gun. Please pardon me if I am wrong.

Edit.... after rereading the original post, I see that he mentions both areas... nevermindů  ;)
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama

Offline JuryRigger

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 11:55:46 AM »
I don't understand the problem with the rings. They're UTG rings? If so they are cast and then machined for fasteners. There should be enough room in the fastener holes to allow the caps and base to center properly on the scope tube. They're decent rings and will get the job done but you can't expect high end tolerances from ten dollar rings. I used them for years but when my budget allowed I moved away from UTG rings (and scopes). I now use Sportsmatch rings. They're better made and very reasonably priced for the quality.

Second thought is if you over tighten the rings you can bend the ears out of shape. By time this happens you'd likely have kinked the scope tube and figured out the deformed rings.
Whoops! Sorry for the lack of clarity; as I was fighting with pics and did not write my posts too clearly...
The intent of my original post was simply to ask if using green 680 loctite on the scope rings screws (caps and base) was a bad idea (it was)... I mentioned that I had some trouble at first with the screws loosening up on me; though they eventually held (whether due to break-in of the gun completing or just a matter of torque)... So that was why I asked about the loctite; to potentially avoid having any issues with loosening screws...
I added the pics of the (UTG-they came with the scope) rings just as an aside; on the old rings the bases were not machined/extruded to the same dimensions.... I noticed it when I first took them out of the package; that either the recess for the clamp shoe was too shallow; resulting in it pushing that side of the ring "up" creating a tilt of sorts; or the clamp shoe was too wide... It didn't really affect how well they worked; with both rings in-line and the base clamp screws on the same side; the bores were concentric-so they worked OK. I just thought it was striking when I pulled out the new rings; and compared them-since the new rings sat dead flat and level...
Sorry to have caused confusion; like I said the rings sitting crooked it was just an aside and not a related issue
Thanks all;
Jesse
  • Buckeye State
"Power is in tearing humans minds to pieces and putting them together again in shapes of your own choosing"
George Orwell
Abraham Lincoln

Online Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 02:20:11 PM »
My bad. I misunderstood the concern. If you flip over the clamps on the tilted ones, to they flatten out?
  • USA,  NY
Hw30- .177- Vortek PG2, Peep sights
Hw30 Laminate- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
Hw30-.177 Vortek PG3 steel, Hawke Vantage IR 2-7x32 AO
Hw50- .177- Vortek PG3, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
Hw50- .22 - Vortek PG2, Peep sights
Hw95- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
Hw97SE (Green 77 Laminate stock)-.177 Vortek PG3, Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline JuryRigger

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2021, 02:32:32 PM »
No problem; all's good...  :D
I tried that; but the "hook" on the other end doesn't match the dovetail at all... However; if I ever want to use those rings on something else; it wouldn't take much file work to level things out.... And for the moment; I only have one gun (crying shame that is, LOL...) so the new rings that came with the replacement scope cover my needs.
Jesse
  • Buckeye State
George Orwell
Abraham Lincoln

Online avator

• Global Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2021, 03:14:24 PM »
It's my opinion that you've tightened the rail lock screws so much that the wedges have been distorted. This distortion makes the rings lean when presented on a flat surface like in your photos. Your better option on that magnum springer may be a one piece mount with a pin lock.
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama

Offline JuryRigger

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2021, 05:12:30 PM »
It's my opinion that you've tightened the rail lock screws so much that the wedges have been distorted. This distortion makes the rings lean when presented on a flat surface like in your photos. Your better option on that magnum springer may be a one piece mount with a pin lock.
They actually came that way out of the box... Had the new ones and noticed they were different; so snapped a pic of them side-by-side for the heck of it... Though a one-piece mount is something I may also look into eventually; especially if I can find one that incorporates a rubber damper like the Webley Dampa mounts did...
Jesse
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 05:18:43 PM by JuryRigger »
  • Buckeye State
George Orwell
Abraham Lincoln

Offline JuryRigger

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2021, 07:15:06 PM »
One last thing I want to clarify; since I'd imagine any folks who have been reading might think I have said two different things regarding how tight I got the screws on the original mounts....
That is actually because I have; let me explain... The scope that I have been using has been partially broken for some time; I made a warranty claim during a time when things were shut down fairly tightly-UTG sent me a replacement scope at no cost without me sending the old one back in.... Up to that time; I had only ever tightened the screws on the ring caps/base to the manual's torque specs; and had some trouble with things sliding around. After the replacement scope arrived; I decided to squeeze the last life out of the old one-even though both side reticle elements were gone; I was going to use it until it simply could not be used at all.... I even had to rotate and glue the reticle ring back at one point; since it had broken free and was sitting at a 45-degree angle... At that point I went ahead and started cranking things down-no reason not to, since the scope was already on it's way out; I had no concerns about damaging anything because it was already dead....
That is why the conflicting statements; since I did actually do both things.... both careful nit-picking velvet glove treatment; and ham-fisted everything's-a-hammer torque wrenching...
Jesse
  • Buckeye State
George Orwell
Abraham Lincoln

Offline HunterWhite

• Hunter Whitebeard
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Foto 3:45 AM under waxing crescent moon 🌙
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2021, 07:20:18 PM »
After the replacement scope arrived; I decided to squeeze the last life out of the old one-even though both side reticle elements were gone; I was going to use it until it simply could not be used at all....
. . . At that point I went ahead and started cranking things down-no reason not to, since the scope was already on it's way out; I had no concerns about damaging anything because it was already dead....
That is why the conflicting statements; since I did actually do both things.... both careful nit-picking velvet glove treatment; and ham-fisted everything's-a-hammer torque wrenching...
Jesse

That is called "destructive testing"
L. O. L.

One of my favorite things to do!

Hunter
  • Arlington Texas
Condor 25, 2240, Umarex Colt, 177 FaTRod😎