Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Decent scopes?  (Read 760 times))

Offline hobbiest

• Shooter
  • yes
Decent scopes?
« on: April 10, 2021, 11:14:03 AM »
Surprised I didnt see a forum just for scopes, Maybe I missed it. Looking for a decent scope for springer hunting. The only airgun scope I have is a Hawke sport that I got yrs ago cause of reviews that said it was good for the money. Now that I have shot a lot of .22 rimfire in the last 10 yrs I know what I like and that piticular scope is a real disappointment. One really important thing for me is light transmission and clarity. When I look through a decent mid class scope it makes things brighter in low light. When I look at a white wall with the Hawke it has a distinct yellowish look. I dont buy high end unless there is a good sale but scopes for rifles that look ok. Is Nikon prostaff 3 or better. Vortex diamond back, leupold freedom. I have better scopes but these are scopes I like in the price range Id like to spend on a air gun scope and hoping to get the same clarity. Recommendations? Looking for around 200.00, 3-9 and dont care about ao if its a 50 yrd parallax. Would get a vortex diamond back if they had one in 50 yrd parallax because their warranty is awesome. Maybe I should ask if anyone hunts with a non AO scope? I do mostly with rimfire.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 11:25:43 AM by hobbiest »
  • Lincoln,Illinois

Offline nced

• GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Decent scopes?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 11:25:40 AM »
Surprised I didnt see a forum just for scopes, Maybe I missed it. Looking for a decent scope for springer hunting. The only airgun scope I have is a Hawke sport that I got yrs ago cause of reviews that said it was good for the money. Now that I have shot a lot of .22 rimfire in the last 10 yrs I know what I like and that piticular scope is a real disappointment. One really important thing for me is light transmission and clarity. When I look through a decent mid class scope it makes things brighter in low light. When I look at a white wall with the Hawke it has a distinct yellowish look. I dont buy high end unless there is a good sale but scopes for rifles that look ok. Is Nikon prostaff 3 or better. Vortex diamond back, leupold freedom. I have better scopes but these are scopes I like in the price range Id like to spend on a air gun scope and hoping to get the same clarity. Recommendations? Looking for around 200.00, 3-9 and dont care about ao if its a 50 yrd parallax. Would get a vortex diamond back if they had one in 50 yrd parallax because their warranty is awesome.
Navigate to...........
Airgun Gate then to Optics, Range estimation & related subjects.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 11:30:10 AM by nced »
  • USA, North Carolina, Rougemont

Offline ER00z

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 11:38:22 AM »
Don't know if many know this, but scopes with out an adjustable objective (AO) can still be adjusted to a distance they prefer. So if the scope you want has a 100 yard paralax setting, you can make it 50 or even 30 yards. 
  • USA, Central NY

Offline hobbiest

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 12:03:33 PM »
Some can on your own but you have to be careful as you can lose the gas out of them. Ive adjusted couple for rimfire and one fogs up now. I have a Burris droptine in rimfire that would work but unsure if its airgun rated. Its not as good as what I like on my .22 which is why its just sitting there but it isn't bad. I was looking at non AO cause clarity is more important to me then all the gadgets when Im hunting . Seams like its hard to find a simple scope made for airguns though. They all have AO.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 12:12:22 PM by hobbiest »
  • Lincoln,Illinois

Offline subscriber

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 12:03:46 PM »
  • USA

Offline hobbiest

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 12:27:05 PM »
TY. for pointing me the right way for the scope section. Every time I think I found what I might like its always discontinued. Even though not a fan of Ao on the end of a scope I think I would have liked the Nikon efr that was airgun rated. I still have two of the original 3-9 Nikon non AO rimfire when the were made in the philipens and that was good glass for the price they sold for. Then they started making them in China and not so good.
  • Lincoln,Illinois

Offline triggerfest

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 01:02:32 PM »
For up to 50yrds you'll definitely want a scope with AO  :D

Price/perfomance wise, I really love my Hawke Airmax AMX. I have both the 2-7x32 and the 3-9x40. The 2-7x32 does great up to 50yrds. Lightweight and due to the low mounts, my PCP stays perfectly in balance !

Vortex is also great, i would say even slightly better than the Airmax.

Nikon I don't know. Though given the brand, I would expect at least something in the line of the Vortex scopes.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 01:04:54 PM by triggerfest »
NH

Offline hobbiest

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 02:34:58 PM »

Price/perfomance wise, I really love my Hawke Airmax AMX. I have both the 2-7x32 and the 3-9x40. The 2-7x32 does great up to 50yrds. Lightweight and due to the low mounts, my PCP stays perfectly in balance !

Nikon I don't know. Though given the brand, I would expect at least something in the line of the Vortex scopes.

Which vortex are you taking about?  Nikon makes great glass but are hard to deal with for warranties from reviews and rarely make an airgun rated scope I think. The one I saw was discontinued 2-3 yrs ago it looks like.

So with a rimfire non ao scope at 25 yrds I usually get one big hole groups and at 50 yrds the parallax is what its set for. In a hunting situation is AO that necessary if you work on holding your head in the same spot? Im not arguing , really want to know as I dont have much experience with airguns. Im not against AO per say as I have some scope with it but I tend to use that more for target. In the back of my mind dollar for dollar I feel Im losing clarity for the extras and hunting clarity or light gathering has been a bigger issue. Im slightly color blind so a brown squirrel on a brown tree blends in in low light.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 02:47:36 PM by hobbiest »
  • Lincoln,Illinois

Offline north country gal

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 02:53:59 PM »
Nikon is no longer making riflescopes, period. The Prostaff 3-9EFR was AG rated and a superb scope. Used, they no bring much more than when they were new. Wish I had bought more of them when I could.

Leupold Freedom Rimfires are decent scopes, but they now start at $300 for the base model.
  • Rhinelander, Wi

Offline hobbiest

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 03:34:37 PM »
Nikon is no longer making riflescopes, period. The Prostaff 3-9EFR was AG rated and a superb scope. Used, they no bring much more than when they were new. Wish I had bought more of them when I could.

Leupold Freedom Rimfires are decent scopes, but they now start at $300 for the base model.
Yeah. freedoms were 200.00 or so when they came out. I liked everything about the freedoms but the rimfire reticle is to busy and fine. My eyes are not good enough for all those small hashmarks. Only reason I didnt buy one for my rimfire. I didnt know Nikon wasn't making rifle scopes anymore. Been awhile since I bought one.
  • Lincoln,Illinois

Offline triggerfest

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 03:42:52 PM »

Which vortex are you taking about?  Nikon makes great glass but are hard to deal with for warranties from reviews and rarely make an airgun rated scope I think. The one I saw was discontinued 2-3 yrs ago it looks like.

So with a rimfire non ao scope at 25 yrds I usually get one big hole groups and at 50 yrds the parallax is what its set for. In a hunting situation is AO that necessary if you work on holding your head in the same spot? Im not arguing , really want to know as I dont have much experience with airguns. Im not against AO per say as I have some scope with it but I tend to use that more for target. In the back of my mind dollar for dollar I feel Im losing clarity for the extras and hunting clarity or light gathering has been a bigger issue. Im slightly color blind so a brown squirrel on a brown tree blends in in low light.

Vortex Diamondback...

I shoot Hunter Field Target competition. During the match you're not allowed to touch your scope. So I zero my scope with the AO at 30 yards (personally I think most of the airguns have an optimum between 30 and 40 yards anyway) and by knowing my pellet trajectory I will be able to hit my targets. That said, if I wouldn't zero my scope to 30 yards (or any other zero distances), I would suffer too much from the parallax error since the ranges of HFT competition are between 12 and 42 yards. That means with a scope with no AO, typically the scope is set at 100 yards and that will give you an aweful blurry sight sub 50 yards.
NH

Offline Ribbonstone

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 04:37:34 PM »
When you have to….can show you how to live with a non AO scope….but it has limitations.

Basically, if your could shoulder the rifle and keep your eye dead center in the field of view….parallax would be “nothing”. 

We can’t normally do that...it LOOKS the same when your eye is off  scope center as does when your eye is on center….with a full field of view, can have your eye wander off dead center.

So when all I had was a non-AO scope to use….would mount it a bit too far forward.

Looking though it, would see a dark ring around the objectives’ image.   If I centered up that dark ring, my eye was in the same place and looking though the middle of the scope….and parallax didn’t matter.

Later on, when I could afford AO scopes,  groups didn’t improve...but I could take full value of the fired of view and scored a lot better away from the bench.  Usually just adjust it to the expected normal range, and only readjust it when conditions change and I’m looking across a wide open field.

Critters aren’t going to wait around while I fiddle with a scope...targets will,,,steel critters will...but live critters are more likely to run or fly off while I’m busy  twiddling knobs.
  • Louisiana

Offline hobbiest

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 04:45:01 PM »
When you have to….can show you how to live with a non AO scope….but it has limitations.

Basically, if your could shoulder the rifle and keep your eye dead center in the field of view….parallax would be “nothing”. 

We can’t normally do that...it LOOKS the same when your eye is off  scope center as does when your eye is on center….with a full field of view, can have your eye wander off dead center.

So when all I had was a non-AO scope to use….would mount it a bit too far forward.

Looking though it, would see a dark ring around the objectives’ image.   If I centered up that dark ring, my eye was in the same place and looking though the middle of the scope….and parallax didn’t matter.

Later on, when I could afford AO scopes,  groups didn’t improve...but I could take full value of the fired of view and scored a lot better away from the bench.  Usually just adjust it to the expected normal range, and only readjust it when conditions change and I’m looking across a wide open field.

Critters aren’t going to wait around while I fiddle with a scope...targets will,,,steel critters will...but live critters are more likely to run or fly off while I’m busy  twiddling knobs.

Thats exactly what I do. Glad to see Im not the only one. All my non AO scopes are set up that way. It also makes it better cause if I go out in cold wether and have extra clothes the scope isn't to far away.
  • Lincoln,Illinois

Offline hobbiest

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 04:47:22 PM »

I have a 4-16 vortex hp not on a gun at the moment. Love that scope, wish I got one in 3-12 also. Im Leary about using it on a airgun as its no longer made and Id hate to ruin it. Usually run it on an HMR and planned to again.
  • Lincoln,Illinois

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 04:52:28 PM »
Some can on your own but you have to be careful as you can lose the gas out of them. Ive adjusted couple for rimfire and one fogs up now. I have a Burris droptine in rimfire that would work but unsure if its airgun rated. Its not as good as what I like on my .22 which is why its just sitting there but it isn't bad. I was looking at non AO cause clarity is more important to me then all the gadgets when Im hunting . Seams like its hard to find a simple scope made for airguns though. They all have AO.
True. Look at crossbow scopes. They're generally smallish, light, lower powered, will survive springers and their focus / parallax is set so they'll focus well at airgun ranges. Shushhh, don't tell anyone else.
  • USA,  NY
Hw30- .177- Vortek PG2, Tech sights
Hw30 Laminate- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
Hw30-.177 Vortek PG3 steel, Hawke Vantage IR 2-7x32 AO
Hw50- .177- Vortek PG3, Hawke 4X non A/O
Hw50- .22 - Vortek PG2, Tech sights
Hw95- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
Hw97SE (Green 77 Laminate stock)-.177 Vortek PG3, Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax
P1- 0.20 now .177
R1- 0.20 - Vortek Pg4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
R9 SE (Blue Laminate stock) - 0.020- Vortek PG4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO

Offline Ribbonstone

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2021, 05:40:07 PM »
Most of the tests I’ve seen posted where where the shooter was TRYING to make the parallax as bad as he could….looking for the max worst case possible by  moving his eye as far off center as he could.

So I thought what would happen if you arranged things so that your eye misalignment was the LEAST possible movement from dead center.

Not that I want to go back to non-AO (or side wheel) scopes..but that when I have to, can still manage to deal with it.
  • Louisiana

Offline manualf150

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2021, 10:21:25 PM »
I've got two of those Nikon Prostaff 3-9EFR scopes. I love them.

I am also a Nikon camera fanatic.
  • USA, NY, Rome
***I DO NOT ANSWER "FIX MY AIRGUN" PM'S OR EMAILS --- DO NOT PM OR EMAIL ME ASKING ME FOR AIRGUN REPAIR QUOTES!*** - If you have a general inquiry, or want me to test/tear down a product and give a review, please let me know.

Offline Tater

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Insert creative saying here
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 12:45:44 AM »
Moved to the Optics Gate.
  • NW suburbs of Chicago
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .177, DonnyFL Sumo ldc
.22 Disco/Maximus mix, Rocker1 ldc
Gamo Hornet .177
1377, steel breech, TKO, 12" barrel, R. Arms Innovations AR stock

Offline Doyle

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 08:00:46 PM »
Cheapest clearest scope that so far works well on a Springer is a $199 ($299 retail) Leupold VX Freedom Rimfire 3-9x40 Rimfire BDC (NO AO) on sale $185 all sold out though but if you shop smart you fond it for $199.

At 3 to 4x it's CLEAR at 8 to 10 yards. At max 9x it's clear at 25 yards. Play with it in between buy boy is this scope CLEAR AND BRIGHT I'd venture to say it gives the $1199 Athlon Ares ETR and new $1000 Hawke Frontier H7 a good run for its money in the glass department.

If you are nearsighted and shoot without glasses it's real close focusing like under 5 yards maybe even 3 yards.

Advantage to near sighted astigmatism folks here using the $199 Leupold VX Freedom Rimfire BDC 3-9x40 (NO AO).
  • US,  HI,  Hilo

Offline ER00z

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 05:31:39 PM »
Not wanting to start a new thread, but I've had scoping frustrations lately. The next scope or two I buy need to be good ones. I currently have various Centerpoint, UTG and Pinty (UTG "like") scopes. They are cheap but have taken a beating. Once zeroed I leave the turrets alone, as they do not track well. If they fail I'm only out less than $100 (usually), which I was ok with. But would like to have more dependable glass now.

Hawke Airmax seem to be very good being recommended a few times, and Leupold scopes also. I wonder about Burris scopes. How do you know which ones will hold up? I'd hate to drop $400+ on an optic that won't last. Looking for springer rated with excellent turret tracking, don't care about bells and whistles. Could even be fixed power, non AO with duplex recticle if guaranteed to hold up on a magnum springer. I have used a compact "crossbow" scope. It wasn't bad. Part of me doesn't want to run the Diana ZR scope mount, and would rather have a "bulletproof" scope. Don't know if one exists, which is why I've run cheap glass.
  • USA, Central NY