Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Any prism sight users  (Read 639 times))

Offline Hobbyman2007

• N.U.A.H. Expert
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Any prism sight users
« on: January 02, 2021, 08:24:26 PM »
Iím looking for a hunting optic that I can use from 5 yards to 50 on a PCP rifle and looking to get a second prism sight. I had one ( Burris AR-332) mounted on an Air speed but the height above the action just didnít work so it got moved onto one of my powder burners. Now Iím in the market for either a 3x or higher mag prism sight. Iím looking hard at the Vortex Spitfire 3x because itís got two height adjustments . Anything else out there I should have a look at ?
  • Dowling,Ontario, Canada
I like air guns ,and they like me

Offline Back_Roads

• I Got A 10 Pump BB Gun :) BB Guns Got Much More Complicated :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st Edition Crosman 760 Pump Master
    • Back_Roads Airgunning
Re: Any prism sight users
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 12:22:01 AM »
  • Wisconsin Collins ;Hunters Paradise; Theres a Sign in town to prove it :)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3hMPAjvTtuu7DoNzBZzuKQ?view_as=subscriber
 Below is a collection of helpful airgun videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLASJo4rBxMImx-kNnbppkIBV86G5Yentf

Offline smythsg

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 10:10:41 AM »
  • North Atlanta, Georgia
Current Hunting Buddies:
SPA M16 .25 cal; Hatsan 25 Supercharger Vortex .177 cal; Airforce Condor .25 cal; Benjamin Akela .22 cal

PCPs currently filled with 110 v Yong Heng Compressor

Others I have owned and enjoyed:
Evanix REX .357 cal; Seneca Recluse .357; MrodAir M10; MrodAir P12; AirForce Escape .25; Hatsan Bullboss; Hatsan BT65 Elite; Hatsan BT65 QE; Hatsan 135; Hatsan 125; Umarex Octane .25 custom; FDPCP GEN1; FDPCP GEN2;  Nitro Venom Dusk .177; Nitro Venom Dusk .22; Trail NP; Crosman Phantom; Crosman 1377

Offline Hobbyman2007

• N.U.A.H. Expert
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 12:30:27 PM »
Both are good alternatives , but because of ITAR . There isnít any shipping to Canada. My only other option is AliExpress for the shipping . Keep them coming , Iím sure there are others Iíve missed .

Offline Hobbyman2007

• N.U.A.H. Expert
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 06:48:28 AM »
https://www.bushnell.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-HuntShootAccessories-Site/Library-Sites-HuntShootAccessoriesSharedLibrary/-/productPdfFiles/bushnellPdf/Product%20Manuals%20PDF's/Red%20Dots/AR750010/Bushnell_AcceleratePrismSight_InstManual_1L_AR750010.pdf

Well I found one. Checks all the boxes and actually is the only one I could find with a Mil dot reticle. I bought it used and should be here in a week or so. Itís also 4x which should be just about perfect for hunting and the odd time paper punching. This is a discontinued product with only a few reviews . Hope itís as good as Iím hoping for.

Offline Rupertt

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 11:42:56 AM »
That looks like it could be good Denis..!
Lucky to find one used in Canada; how much was it?

I assume it's a Picatinny mount; how much does it weigh?

I'm still planning on getting an MTC Atom, but if your experience is good with the Bushnell, I'll try to track one down.

Thanks for the Follow Up.
  • Canada, Alberta, Calgary
Crosman Mark II .177
Crosman 1077 .177
Crosman Phantom .22
Diana Chaser Carbine .22
Artemis M11 .25
Artemis PP800 Chaser Fusion .25
FX Dreamline Lite .25
Artemis PP750 .22

Offline Hobbyman2007

• N.U.A.H. Expert
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 12:49:29 PM »
Jim , I was lucky to find one used. I paid 300$ shipped and it looks to be in great condition. I did look at the MTC atom also but the very short eye relief didnít look too appealing for what I need . I do think this one is on the heavy side at 1.5 lbs ( donít quote me on that) but the long eye relief and mil dot ďbasedĒ reticle sold me on it. Iíll post my findings once I get it.

Offline Hobbyman2007

• N.U.A.H. Expert
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 09:01:23 AM »
Well I received the Bushnell and mounted it to the Evanix Air speed. After a quick sight in . I was stacking pellets out to 30 yards. I do have one complaint with this optic. The reticle is a little thick and with the numbers etched , itís a little cluttered still manageable and good sight picture. I would recommend one if it was bought for a good price . The glass is clear enough for the price I paid and would put it in the same category as a UTG . The backlight is real bright on the high setting and just barely visible on the lowest which again I like , for low light situations and bright enough for bright sunny days. All in all Iím happy with it. It might end up on a powder burner though and replace it with a fixed power 10x discovery scope.

Offline Rupertt

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 10:19:18 AM »
Glad you're happy with the Bushnell Denis..!

Did you put it on a scale to see if it was indeed 1.5 pounds heavy..?
(Of the "pick 2" options from Good, Light, Cheap; I'm still looking for Good and Light...)

Thanks for the follow-up.
Crosman Mark II .177
Crosman 1077 .177
Crosman Phantom .22
Diana Chaser Carbine .22
Artemis M11 .25
FX Dreamline Lite .25
Artemis PP750 .22

Offline Hobbyman2007

• N.U.A.H. Expert
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 07:55:38 PM »
I didnít put it on a scale but I can tell you itís heavier than it looks. Itís lighter than a high power scope thatís for sure.

Offline Hobbyman2007

• N.U.A.H. Expert
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 08:55:32 PM »
Iím bringing this one back from the dead. Thereís just something I like about these prism sights. Easy to use like a red dot but have low magnification and an etched reticle. Iím now onto my third . Iíve just ordered a used Vector Calypos 3x 32 . The reticle looks to be very close to the Burris and has an advertised weight of just over 15oz. My Burris 3x32 AR is out for warranty repairs as I found the reticle was canted not a big deal as it sits on a PB that doesnít get used very often . The second is the Bushnell 4x , that has also been mounted to a PB for now but will shortly be switched out for a red dot on a PP750 . This third will be mounted to a newly acquired Aselkon MX6 in .25 that will be used for close range ( 30 yards max ) small game hunting. So far they I find them to be a good match to our air rifles. Sure I could get a compact scope like the bug buster with illuminated reticle but these prisms are typically shorter and fixed power with very little to no parallax error. Iím keeping my eyes open for the new Vortex . The specs look good except for the 1moa per click adjustment
https://vortexoptics.com/spitfire-hd-gen-ii-3x-prism-scope.html

Offline Cableaddict

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 12:34:56 AM »
Hey, Denis,
I'm a bit confused. /  Trying to understand these red dots with magnification.

I also shoot sub-50 yards pretty much always.  I'm considering an MTC SWAT, which you decided against. I like them specifically for the short eye relief & wide FOV.  Well, whatever, that's ergonomics.

- but you're considering that new Vortex, which has its parallax setting at 100 yards.   How is that possibly going to work at, say 10 yards?
I just don't get it.
  • USA, NY, Suffern

Offline Hobbyman2007

• N.U.A.H. Expert
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 06:28:12 AM »
From the others that I own the parallax error is basically zero. Iíve done the bobble head test from 10 to 40 yards and the POA doesnít change. Maybe itís due to the prism that reflects the sight picture? The other nice thing is that the targets arenít blurry like you would expect at close range.  I have an old K-4 that is clear also but only down to about 15 yards , thatís the reason I bought the first Prism .

Offline Hobbyman2007

• N.U.A.H. Expert
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 07:39:44 AM »
Received the Vector 3x Calypos yesterday and promptly got it mounted to the chosen rifle. So far so good . The illumination works very well with a ten preset brightness setting. The reticle looks to be based on either .223 or 7.62x51 NATO ammunition but I think this will work just fine for airgun use . I just need to find the intersects with the yardage. The glass is very clear from edge to edge and the low end magnification allows for a big sight picture. It came with flip up lens covers and covered windage / elevation turrets. Weight wise itís about as heavy as the Burris but not the huge as heavy as the Bushnell. The only thing to complain about is the short eye relief with this sort of optic. Without measuring I think this one comes in at just under 2Ē. Unlike the other two , this one does seem to have some parallax error at 10 yards , nothing major as to be expected with less than 1/2Ē wander when I move my head . No worse than any non adjustable scope Iíve used. These prism sights arenít perfect but with the etched reticles I donít have to worry about a red dot with a dead battery. Iíd say they are just about perfect for a hunting rig.

Offline Rupertt

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 11:04:49 AM »
I sure appreciate you keeping us updated/informed on the quest for a good Prism Optic. The PP750 is such a great pistol, but so hard to get the perfect optic to match its rail configuration.

I replaced the rear sight with the screw-on rail from Airgun Archery Fun and hope this will increase the options for a Good-Lightweight solution.

I am currently experimenting with the Vector Talos...
Crosman Mark II .177
Crosman 1077 .177
Crosman Phantom .22
Diana Chaser Carbine .22
Artemis M11 .25
FX Dreamline Lite .25
Artemis PP750 .22