GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Hollow points v H&N Field Targets

(1/2) > >>

donderkop:
Was wondering. What difference as far as killing impact will one have if you use a) H&N Field Target pellets[sharp edge on domed head] and b)hollow points{eg Crossman ]? Would there be any difference?
Weight in both cases more or less 8.4g and lets use a .177 ???

acedoc:
FT more penetration , HP more deformation.
use the FT, though both will kill if u get the zone.

Mebits:
Pass through is my biggest issue on most shots at starlings or pigeons (30 yrds and usually much less). As such, HP's are my pellet of choice, though I think the CPHP's are a bit too hard and round. I really like the Crow Mags, or the Silver Bears. Bear in mind that I'm using a Big Cat so they're coming out pretty hot.

On the other hand, if accuracy is your biggest issue and/or you aren't shooting so fast, I'd focus on a pellet that's consistently accurate, which is probably going to be a better quality domed pellet.

Nomadic Pirate:
I did some testing and the Crosman/Discovery Hollowpoints don't deform anymore than a regular Domed pellet the cavity is just too small, The Crow Magnums on the other hand do deform quite a bit  ;)

longislandhunter:
I love the CPHP's in both .177 and .22 for hunting but I've always just considered them as a regular domed pellet.  The "dimple" in the tip of the dome really doesn't expand much, if at all.  They tend to be a bit harder than the standard CPL domes which I like for hunting...

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version