GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

Need some education on a 3d printer

(1/10) > >>

Rocker1:
Ok guys I have been looking at 3d printers but in reality have no idea what I want, Of course price is a issure but I am interested in one to make certain airgun parts. So give me a idea of what I need or want lol!!  David

dan_house:
you'll need to learn one of the programs to draw th stuff in... Sketchup and Fusion 360 are popular, but either will have a vertical learning curve

google "3d printer forums" and read the opinions and tips...

if I we're doing this, Id get a machine with the biggest bed I found find and or afford that allowed multiple kinds of materials (ABS, nylon, PLA etc)

3d printers are not magic, and need maintenance like any other machine in the shop

Rescue35:
Short and sweet. Buy a Robo3d R1. Get Fusion360 from autodesk.

I love my Robo R1. https://store.robo3d.com/collections/r1-plus-collection/products/r1-plus-3d-printer?variant=6274616835 They have new models coming out that I haven't even looked into. The R1 is upgradable with all the fancy gimmicks you may learn to want later but as is works great. I have printed PLA, ADS, and PeTG with it. So far my favorite material is PeTG. For most materials you will need a heated bed.

Fushion360 does take some commitment to learn but there are many tutorials on youtube. It is FREE. Just be sure to education/entripinuer version unless you are using it in a buisness making over $100,000 a year.

General advise. Get a printer with as large of a work envelope as possible (make sure your parts will fit). Heated bed is a must have. A lcd screen and the ability to accept sd cards to print from are great to have. I had to add these to my R1 as an aftermarket item. It apears that the new Robo C2 and R2 have these and other features built in. As for software, you will want a programe that works with .stl files.

Work flow. I use fusion360 to design my parts and save them as .stl. Then I use Cura (made for Ultimaker printers) to set the paramters needed to print and output all of this to gcode saved on an SD card. I transfer the SD card to the Robo and select the program to print from the LCD screen. hit print, come back in the designated time to retreive my part. Clean up part. Use. Most recently I made a board to mount some electronics to. ruff time estimates are as follows. Fusion 360 (45 minutes), Cura (5 minutes), Robo R1 (6 hours...it is very wide), clean up and prep to mount (20 minutes).

kbstingwing:
I have an Anet A8 3D printer, it was $280.00 on Amzn, came with a .50 kg roll of 1.75 mm PLA, heated base and nozzel blower fan, and it came with Cura, I haven't used it yet but it is setup and ready to go as soon as I decide on a Program, I just finished a class on AutoCAD and Fusion 360 looks like a good program but everyone tells me to check out Solidworks, I'm kinda up in the air on which one I should use.

Rocker1:
Jody sir you aren't the first to recommend this,  just wonder in my old age if I'm capable lol!! I know absolutely nothing about them but I am somewhat computer literate not that that means a hill of beans. I might be over stepping my means.  David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version