GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Air Gun Gate

Soft Bedding Spring guns by Mike Hancock

<< < (2/32) > >>

wilsonj1018:
even with the screws tight, it would still provide a dampening effect, much softer than contact with bare wood.
Josh

cvasquez:
Just ordered my sheet. I thought the same thing - why not weather strip sized like 1/2" or 1" but maybe that width is crucial so I wont change a thing. Tim ,your the man!!!  Thanks

Fowlpursuit:
I'm really on board with this idea as I just minted a bi pod on my NPXL 1100. I've been lookin at the gun and I just cannot see how the neoprene will fit in there as there is no space at all.  And honestly I'm afraid once I start torquing the screws down my stock is gonna split because of the pressure. Am I overly paranoid ?

zmike:
MIKE HANCOCK HERE:
When I say tighten screws I mean to normal "tight" not major "torque" down tight.  You will find that after the first "normal tighten," the next day the neoprene will have crushed down and you can get another 3/4th turn to get back to normal tight again.  The third and forth "tightens" you can get about 1/2 and then maybe 1/4 turn to "normal" tightness.  You WANT the spring tube to be able to vibrate on top of the neoprene a small amount or you might as well not do this and go back to being bedded directly on the wood.  Firm tight might be a better way to describe it.  I don't have a dog in this fight.  I make no money, I don't want to do other people guns for free or for profit, I just told Tim about it and let him shoot my HW 90 that was done this way. He liked the way it felt.
I've also done some of my buddies guns and they report what I describe.  It takes out the loud "THWACK" you feel in your cheek on the stock.  I can shoot off sandbags (front and rear) and not even touch the fore-stock.  I use my fore-stock hand to squeeze and manipulate the rear bag to get the cross hairs on target just like with my powder rifles.  And I shoot one ragged hole groups all day long at 20-30 yards with the right pellets.  (you can read my sign up profile to see how/why I even thought of trying this) 

Gertrude:
 Mike and Tim,

THANKS ! for sharing, This is just another fine example of why the members of the GTA are The BEST !
I just got back from my local Rubber and Packing supply with 12' in hand. Will be doing this to my RS2 Ram model, and my RWS D48.
 (Austin, I've got plenty for yours too ;D).

now where did I put those Allen Wrenches ?  ;)

I'm kind of curious as to if applying the Neoprene stripping just forward and aft of the front mounting bolts, (lets say 1" on both sides of each bolt), and then another 2 short strips at the rear trigger guard bolt might possibly do the same thing, and/or possibly work even better ?, as opposed to applying it to the entire length of the stock ?

My thinking being, this would create even less contact area between spring tube and wood.
 HMmmmm,.... may just have to give it a try.

Your thoughts ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version