GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

GoldFinger G-hog Hunt

(1/5) > >>

longislandhunter:
Yesterday afternoon, around 4 pm, I had finished my chores around the house and yard so I decided to head to the farms and stalk some g-hogs.  I am trying to make it a point on each hunt to use a rifle that I haven't hunted with lately so for yesterdays hunt I chose the .22 cal R-9 Goldfinger.  I checked the folder on the rifle (I keep a folder on each rifle)  and saw that she was last sighted in with Predators and was shooting ragged hole groups so I grabbed a container of Predators off my pellet shelf and headed for the vegetable farm.  

As I pulled into the vegetable farm I immediately saw two large, fat g-hogs out in the crops but they saw my truck approaching and they disappeared into the undergrowth.  I spent the next hour slowly roaming around the farm but I didn't spot anymore targets.  All the fields had workers out picking vegetables so I guess the activity was just to much.  I changed my plan, headed back to the truck and drove over to the duck farm.  I know that noone works at the duck farm on weekends so I'd have it all to myself.  

I pulled into my regular parking spot at the farm, loaded up the goldfinger and headed off.  I had only been hunting for about 15 minutes when I spotted a really large, fat g-hog bellied up to one of the grain feeders in a distant duck pen.  In order to get within range I would have to hug the tree line near the stream and slowly work my way closer, so I planned my stalk and got to work.  It took me about 20 minutes  but I finally found myself standing just inside the tree line about 50 yards from the feeding g-hog.  I needed to get closer.  The only way to get closer was to cross a completely open area of about 25 yards but once I stepped out of the tree line the g-hog could spot me.  I decided to use a tactic I've used many times at the farm.  I stayed very low to the ground and by moving forward only when the g-hog had his face buried in the grain feeder actively feeding I was able to cross the open area and get situated right behind a large metal pipe that had been driven into the ground as a  support for the chicken wire duck pen fencing.  As long as I didn't move the g-hog wouldn't see me.  Distance to target was now 25 yards.

I shouldered the Godlfinger, took the safety off, used the pipe as a rest and got ready.  Within a few minutes the large g-hog pulled his grain covered face out of the feeder and stood up to have a look around.  The crosshairs were placed on his right eye and the predator was sent on it's way.  The pellet slammed home with a POP and the g-hog fell backwards, rolled a foot or two and began thrashing around.  I quickly reloaded another Predator and snapped off a quick shot putting another predator into his head.  At the second shot the g-hog just rolled over and it was all over.  I don't think the second shot was necessary but I wasn't taking any chances.  As I moved towards the g-hog I reloaded again but by the time I got to him he was DOA.  

He was a fully gown adult male with some serious weight to him, about 12 pounds or so.  He was so heavy I had trouble carrying him back to the truck with the arthritis in my hands.  This bruiser had been feasting on duck grain for a long time but his grain raiding days were over   ;D

I snapped some pics for my fellow air gun hunters and then headed home to skin and clean my harvest.  Hope ya like the pics.  

Jeff

Alan:
Good lord, that's a PHAT "g".  Nice stalking and working that farm Jeff.  Pics are great, love the way you show us the lay of the land.  What's the feedback from the farmer when they hear of your successes? 

only1harry:
Another awesome G-hog stalk and kill Jeff!  Very nice shooting with the R9 Goldfinger shooting behind a skinny pipe :) 

I always enjoy the pics detailing your stalk and approach.  You work hard for your G-hogs.  I just open a window being careful they don't hear me but you have to walk up to them and not be spotted which is much harder.  That is one big G-hog.  They feel like dead weight when they are >10-11lbs don't they?  You just know they are heavier than the others the instant you try to pick them up.

How fast does the Goldfinger shoot the Predators btw?

longislandhunter:
Thanks guys, I enjoyed that hunt.  I love a good stalk and both the vegetable farm and the duck farm make the stalking very challenging since there's so much open ground involved.  

Alan, as for the farmers..... they are thrilled with my success culling the g-hogs.  The duck farm owners have told me that my culling the g-hogs has saved them  money on feed costs and the vegetable farmer gets a big smile on his face every time I tell him I got another one.  

Harry, I went down to the shop and retrieved the last chrony #'s for the goldfinger.... here are the FPS averages.......

Predators..........660
CPHP................704
CP Domes..........695
Crow Mags.........625
RWS SHP...........723
Crosman Pointed..687

The goldy shoots all those pellets into ragged hole groups.  

Have I mentioned lately that I love my Goldfinger ??   ;D  LOL

Jeff

only1harry:
The R series Beeman (Weirauch/HW) guns are some of the best Springers in the world.  I think if someone doesn't like the way their R series Springer doesn't shoot, there is probably something wrong with it and needs repair.  I think I seriously need to make an effort to get one :)

It's good to see that yours is consistently a solid 15+fpe one with all the pellets you tested.  Thanks for those #'s!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version