GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

350 .22 drops a country rat and a few others..

(1/4) > >>

only1harry:
I have been watching my yard the last few nights hoping to catch the culprit that has been knocking down my bird feeders.  So far nothing but skunks and a possum all of which visit my backyard frequently for a free cat food meal. 

Last night the ding donger went off around 1am for the 3d or 4th time and I figured it was another skunk.  This time it only went off once and stopped.  I looked out the window with the flashlight and did't see anything at the cat food bowl.  I looked around and as I was ready to go back to bed, I noticed movement at the top fo the fence.  It was a possum eating seeds out of the feeder on top of the fence.  He then climbed on to other feeder below which is a little house with a round door/hole trying to get the blackoiled sunflower seeds.  I had secured the feeder better with steel wire but I can see why he was knocking it down before with its weight.  It wasn't a big adult possum though.  Looked like it was still growing, so I went and got the 350 .22 and loaded a 15.8gr JSB jumbo.

I got back and remembered I did not have a gun light on the 350 so I couldn't see anything.  I turned on the flood light in the back and lit up the area.  When I got back to the window the country rat was apparently spooked and climbing down the fence.  It ran a short distance but when he got to the door of the fence he ran into the cat food bowl I had placed there and stopped.  This guy usually enters from the other side of the fence near the driveway where I leave that door open as well so the critters can come and go.  It starts munching away but had its back turned to me.  I think it was content not facing the 160W light head on.  I adjusted the A/O for the distance 19-20yds, and when it turned its head to the right to look I got a decent opportunity at a broadside shot and squeezed the trigger.  It immediately fell into the food bowl and started its death dance.  A few seconds later it managed to roll over it and die 3ft away after it rolled over a couple of times.

The JSB had entered next to the right eye and under the ear and exited the other side.  The grass was pretty wet from the moisture in the air so I did not take any pics with the 350.  Besides this guy had pooped all over the place and bled everywhere.. I noticed the food bowl was full of blood splatter too as it did most of its death dance in it. 

I also had shot 4 Grackles with the 350 the day before so I 'm posting them here too.  I recovered the 2 by the cat food but the others I shot in the trees and they fell into poison ivy so I didn't bother with those.  Hope you enjoy the pics!

Food bowl where country rat did most of its death dance. One bloddy mess..

Backyardsniper1:
Great shooting. The 350 is a beast.

1377x:
nice shooting

adrian:
AWSOME SHOOTING

GREAT PICS

KEEP EM COMING

only1harry:
Thanks guys. 
I was just outside surveying the area in the day time.  This country rat left its phecies all over, even inside the food bowl.  They do this every time before they die but this one had a big load and spread it everywhere as it was rolling around.  I 'm gloving up and going out to do some cleaning.  I don't want my wife or son stepping on poop that could be carrying rabies or parasites.  I also noticed the Grackels that came in the morning stayed in the trees for a couple of minutes eyeing the cat food and then took off.  I think it's the poop and blood in the cat food that they didn't like.  You would think beggers can't be chosers, hehe. I don't blame them  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version