GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

Fiberglass as shroud material?

(1/1)

Loki_762:
I just recently got into 3D printing, and I have some fiberglass tube (used to be a shovel handle) that I was thinking of using. Is it going to be strong enough to handle the pressures a .22 airgun puts out, or am I better off finding some aluminum or carbon fiber tube?
Thanks,
Chris

WhatUPSbox?:
Probably depends on the power of the gun but fiberglass is stronger than the 3D printed material that a lot of people are making LDC's with. Especially if it is thick enough to be a shovel handle.

luge007:
The shovel handle will be plenty strong enough (read overkill) for the 'shell' of a suppressor with 3D printed guts, BUT it is also MUCH heavier than either an aluminum tube, or a carbon tube of the same external dimensions.  If it's a 3D printed monocore design and the 'shell' only slips over the core to keep the air contained, you do not really need much at all to contain the 'blast'.  If it is going to be a 'can' with stuff inside, then it has to be a bit stronger, but still far less than the handle material.  The can design usually requires the end caps to be threaded into or onto the tube,(not advisable with a fiberglass tube)  where as the monocore, typically is direct thread onto the barrel and the 'shell' only keeps the air contained (otherwise your monocore will only be a muzzle brake without it ;)

Some builder have used PVC tubing or HDPE plastic tubing with great results.  PVC is easy to work with, easy to acquire and easy to glue, HDPE not so much, but it is a light, strong product.  Carbon is pretty, but the most expensive of the typical tubes available, and aluminum is the most versatile and reasonably easy to acquire and work with.

So, the long and short, yes, your handle will work, but carbon tubes and aluminum tubes are very reasonably priced and will result in a lighter, better overall finished product.  Just be sure if you go forward with this, you don't do a 'how to' or a step by step build thread and violate the rules here.  Finished projects are totally acceptable though ;)

Good luck,
M

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version