GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

Crosman AIR 17

<< < (2/4) > >>

bantam5s:

--- Quote from: unionrdr on July 09, 2022, 05:38:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: bantam5s on July 06, 2022, 04:56:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: unionrdr on July 06, 2022, 02:58:14 PM ---The AIR17 had that compartment for a fitted water bottle as well. Clear with a black plastic top. I only saw it once on eBay. Wasn't quick enough. They also had a compas that snapped into the bottom of the grip. Missed those too, since I didn't put 2 & 2 together. DOH! They also had a replacement sight/handle that could mount a scope, but never saw them again on eBay. I still need pics of how the sling mounts on the AIR17? I didn't get pics of them before giving my son's rifle back to him. He buried it and won't look for it.

--- End quote ---
The canteen and compass may fit the Air17 because the 790 outbacker utilized the same stock, but they were never intended for the Air17.

You can look up the manual which will only note the " secret storage compartment " and the " grip " , while 790 outbacker manual notes the " swing up butt plate with storage compartment for canteen " and the " grip cover with compass ".

There was a scope with mount to attach to the carry handle of the Air17, but as far as I could find there was never an official sling intended for it.

--- End quote ---
  My son's AIR17 came with one new. Most never mounted it and just threw them aside. Like the rear sight tube that looked like a scope for the Daisy Golden Eagle model 104. Removed, tossed aside and lost forever.

--- End quote ---
None of the advertisements I've found mentioned one, and the only picture I've ever seen of an Air17 with a sling was mounted through holes the owner had drilled in the furniture.

I have a hard time believing not one single kid used a factory included sling to complete the military experience of their Air17.

I'm certainly open to being proven wrong.

unionrdr:
I finally found pics of both sides of the rifle. Got the sling with it new.

And the box;

bantam5s:
What year is the rifle dated ?
When did you add those sling swivels ?

unionrdr:
It was built in '87. I forget the month and I gave it back to my son with a new hard case. And everything came in the box that's shown. I didn't buy anything extra, and it was brand new! Kmart I think? But no special designations, like the Revelation 760's or anything. I had to assemble it to the rifle, but it all came with.

bantam5s:
I have never seen an AIR17 with sling swivels or holes for them, the swivels holes nor sling are depicted on the box , and none are mentioned or depicted in the manual.

Unless this was some kind of extremely rare K-mart exclusive version,  is it possible you actually bought them separately on that same day and are just remembering wrong ?

There are a number of things I can think of distinctly remembering very vividly which are wrong.

Just think about the red ryder featured in a Christmas story, the writer or director swore up and down that his childhood red ryder had the compass and sundial when in reality it was the Buck Jones bb gun with these features but he swore so daisy had to make a special gun for the movie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version