GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

Action Camera side mount

(1/6) > >>

customcutter:
I started on the mount this morning.  I finally decided to use a piece of 1X2X4" Al that I had instead of some 3" rod.  The first thing I did was cut into 2 1X2X2" blocks.  Then I cut them diagonally from corner to corner.  I need to make ears on either side so that the two halves can be clamped together around the prismatic cube that splits the image 30%/70% with 30% going to the shooters eye and 70% going to the camera for better clarity.  It will also clamp onto the eyepiece of the scope at the same time.  I'll have to make one for each scope that I want to mount the camera on. 

The prismatic cube and camera are linked in this topic thread "Scope Cam Questions".  https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=197390.20

I was trying figure out how to hold the 2"square for cutting it diagonally and when I pulled the horizontal bandsaw out there was a small C clamp laying on it.  It worked perfectly for the job.

The picture of the plastic clamp is what I want to incorporate without the picatinny rail section.

customcutter:
Next I marked a diagonal with a Sharpie across the opposite corners.  Where they would intersect needed to be the center when I chucked the 2 pieces in the 4 jaw on the lathe.  I mounted each piece in the milling machine and faced off .010" across the diagonals for a smooth surface instead of the bandsaw finish.  Then chucked it up in the 4 jaw and indicated in as best I could, then center drilled it.  Drilled it 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and finally 7/8". 

Then I bored it to 1.300" and let it cool.  The actual finish size is slightly over 1.3" so I'll finish boring to size tomorrow.  By then it was way over 90* in the garage and I had already had to stop twice for water breaks.  If I hadn't had the high volume fan going I would have had to stop a couple hours earlier. :o  Done for today. ;D

customcutter:
I was trying figure a way to clamp the 2 pieces together so that I could drill, tap, and clearance drill the 2 halves in the milling machine.  I thought that clamping them together before boring would be easier and possibly more accurate.  I finally decide that I would bore them first and do the other machining after boring.  I think I can indicate off of the bored section and accurately drill and clearance drill the ears on the clamps.

KWK:
I think drilling the screw holes would be my first operation. Then bore with a HSS tool bit. Then part with a slitting saw. Tap, drill for clearance, and counterbore whenever you want. You already have pilot holes drilled.
More than one way to skin a cat.

customcutter:

--- Quote from: KWK on June 30, 2022, 09:56:28 PM ---I think drilling the screw holes would be my first operation. Then bore with a HSS tool bit. Then part with a slitting saw. Tap, drill for clearance, and counterbore whenever you want. You already have pilot holes drilled.
More than one way to skin a cat.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, if I had thought to drill before I cut the diagonal.  That would have been the better set-up.  Also didn't think about the slitting saw.  Used to use one when making liner lock folders.  Not a machinist though, so just getting it done best I can figure. :o  Thanks for the suggestions.  It'll help with set-ups possibly in the future. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version