GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Airgun Repository of Knowledge(The ARK) > Spring/ Gas rams

Groups open up for first ten shots when switching pellet brands

(1/2) > >>

FlyFisherMan101:
Hi everyone i was wondering if its common for your group to open up some when you change
to a differant brand of pellet for about 10-12 shots.I have had a pellet fly realy good and tight
then when i go back to thje indoor range in a few days and switch to a differant brand of pellet
that was shooting tight a week ago the group opens up for the first 10 or 12 shots with this new
or differant pellet than i was useing on the prior shooting day whats causeing this thanks.Oh its
jsb hates diabolo .22 cal at 15.89 grains last week they shot 1/2 inch at 25 yards then i went to
range a few days later and shot H+N baracuda hunter extremes 18.52 gr into the same hole at 25
yds then i loaded up some of my crossman 14.3 gr hps and they opened up a little but after about
10 shots they tightened up to 8 shots into 3/8" c-c..Im stumped.Maybe i should just run a few patches
through with balistol befour swithching pellets ..Thanks :-\

Back_Roads:
 Even running a dry patch through may be enough but still expect some seasoning shots for any pellet before accuracy comes back, so just shooting a few of the pellets that you want to shoot to season the barrel for the session is just as easy.

A moron:

--- Quote from: Back_Roads on February 20, 2022, 05:47:14 PM --- Even running a dry patch through may be enough but still expect some seasoning shots for any pellet before accuracy comes back, so just shooting a few of the pellets that you want to shoot to season the barrel for the session is just as easy.

--- End quote ---

+1

I see that in the r9.  After a cleaning i give a few shots to "season", blow out any excess the last patch did not ., ect then its back to on ..

Anyway keep shooting it break in aint just the recommended shots.   It should keep getting better the more you shoot it..

Bayman:
You need to run at least 40 or 50 pellets through a barrel before analysing the accuracy of any pellet. Conditioning or fouling a barrel with the pellets of the same alloy is critical to accuracy. Anytime you switch brands assume the first 30 are throw aways and are just reconditioning the barrel. It's probably closer to a hundred after Crosmans because they use harder lead/antimony alloy. It takes longer to clear the harder lead from the barrel.

Lt. Dan:

--- Quote from: Bayman on February 20, 2022, 07:10:01 PM ---You need to run at least 40 or 50 pellets through a barrel before analysing the accuracy of any pellet. Conditioning or fouling a barrel with the pellets of the same alloy is critical to accuracy. Anytime you switch brands assume the first 30 are throw aways and are just reconditioning the barrel. It's probably closer to a hundred after Crosmans because they use harder lead/antimony alloy. It takes longer to clear the harder lead from the barrel.

--- End quote ---
+1
I agree with Ron on this 100%. When you change from Crosman pellets to another brand it will take at least twice as many pellets to recondition the barrel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version