GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Optics, Range estimation & related subjects

Scout Hunter Mount

(1/1)

Arcticnemo:
Unhappy with grouping and general performance with a regular scope, I decided to try something locked into line with the barrel.
Fired up the CNC to modify a bit of rail to fit in place of the rear sight, then chucked a pistol scope on it to see how it holds up.
There's gonna be some cut-and-glue to dress the forend back up, but at least it clears for cocking.

Roadworthy:
Clever idea though I would be concerned about the screws used to hold the rear sight holding up against the recoil compared to the usual clamping action on a scope rail.  If the recoil doesn't shear them off the second recoil probably will.

Arcticnemo:

--- Quote from: Roadworthy on February 04, 2022, 12:27:54 PM ---...I would be concerned about the screws used to hold the rear sight holding up against the recoil...

--- End quote ---

A fair consideration with 4mm hardware. I filled the underside of the plastic rail with some JB weld after roughing the cavity, ran a groove to contour for better contact. A thin shot of FlexSeal should help with vibration, also adds just a bit of stiction. If I have to tap for bigger hardware, I'll have an excuse to buy a couple more tools —no metric bottoming taps yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version