GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > UK Airgun Gate

Experience with Vortek PG4 tuning kit

(1/2) > >>

amitellen:
Hello,

New to the forum and this is my first post...

I recently dropped a Vortek PG4 HO kit in my TX200 in .22 cal.  After putting about 150 or so shots through it ran some chrony tests.  While the gun is shooting much better than before (noticeable reduction in noise/recoil and the twang has completely disappeared), surprisingly the power has dropped significantly compared to what I was getting from the stock set-up.  Here are the before and after results using Crosman Premier 14.3gr pellets:

Before (100% stock): Average muzzle velocity 654.8 ft/s, SD 18 ft/s, Spread 54 ft/s; 13.6 ft/lb energy
After (w/ PG4 kit): Average muzzle velocity 583.7 ft/s, SD 14.7 ft/s, Spread 46 ft/s; 10.8 ft/lb energy.

Other than dropping in the new kit and replacing the original piston seal with Vortek Vac-SEAL (moly-impregnated), everything else was left as is. The action was of course degreased and re-lubed sparingly before re-assembly.  According to Vortek product description and their in house testing, I should be getting 700+ ft/s with 14.6 gr pellets.

Have others had a similar experience with PG2/PG3/PG4 kits? What could I be doing wrong to get so very different results compared to what's claimed? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Bayman:
I've installed several Vortek kits in Weihrauchs but never a TX. The Vortek seals in the Weihrauchs start off very tight initially and after a day or two of shooting conform to the bore. It's not unusual to pick up 40 or 50 fps from the initial shots. I'd shoot it a bit and see if it comes around. If it doesn't I'd call Tom at Vortek about it. IIRC there's something with the TXs about different length something or other that requires the correct kit. Something sounds seriously off. Is there gun significantly easier to cock than before? Was there very little preload upon reassembly?

I'm sure you'll get it squared away. Tom will be helpful and take care of you if it's on his end.

Good luck with it.
Ron

Roadworthy:
How tight was the new moly impregnated seal in the compression tube?  If the new spring is doing its job it's possible or even likely the piston seal is too tight which will slow the piston travel down resulting in a lower velocity for the pellet.  Turning the moly seal down is not recommended so you may wish to try the results with your new Vortek kit and your old piston seal.  If you're trying to get more power out of your TX 200 with a stronger spring I strongly recommend having a new cocking shoe on hand.

amitellen:

--- Quote from: Bayman on January 15, 2022, 11:32:24 PM ---I've installed several Vortek kits in Weihrauchs but never a TX. The Vortek seals in the Weihrauchs start off very tight initially and after a day or two of shooting conform to the bore. It's not unusual to pick up 40 or 50 fps from the initial shots. I'd shoot it a bit and see if it comes around. If it doesn't I'd call Tom at Vortek about it. IIRC there's something with the TXs about different length something or other that requires the correct kit. Something sounds seriously off. Is there gun significantly easier to cock than before? Was there very little preload upon reassembly?

I'm sure you'll get it squared away. Tom will be helpful and take care of you if it's on his end.

--- End quote ---

Hi Ron, first thanks for taking the time to respond. 

As for the Vortek seal, I've read the same in some other places - I'm hoping that it will break in after 400-500 cycles and pick up some fps.  The gun seems to cock about the same - definitely not easier than before.  The preload was a little less than before but not significantly - still had to use a spring compressor for re-assembly.  What is true is that the spring wire in the Vortek kit is narrower than the stock spring wire (.122 inches vs. .128 inches).  I spoke to Tom @ Vortek about it and according to tom, the type of wire and winding in the PG4 kit makes it perform just as well or better than the stock.  I have emailed Tom a couple time about this issue but haven't heard back yet.  I may just call him - might be too busy to read all his emails.

amitellen:

--- Quote from: Roadworthy on January 15, 2022, 11:34:31 PM ---How tight was the new moly impregnated seal in the compression tube?  If the new spring is doing its job it's possible or even likely the piston seal is too tight which will slow the piston travel down resulting in a lower velocity for the pellet.  Turning the moly seal down is not recommended so you may wish to try the results with your new Vortek kit and your old piston seal.

--- End quote ---

Hi Thomas, thanks for your response.  The seal may have been a bit tighter than the old seal.  I like your idea of putting back the old seal and seeing what it does - I'll give it a shot and post what I find.

--- Quote from: Roadworthy on January 15, 2022, 11:34:31 PM ---If you're trying to get more power out of your TX 200 with a stronger spring I strongly recommend having a new cocking shoe on hand.

--- End quote ---

I'm not really trying to get more power - just getting it back to where it was before tuning or close enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version