GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > WFTF Class Field Target

Building a WFTF Marauder Rig

(1/5) > >>

DRAGON64:
I have tried many times over the years to build a WFTF Marauder rig, only to lose interest and move on... the sweltering Alabama heat has the effect on me.  Last year, I bought my 4th and final Gen 1 Marauder, a January 2010 built Marauder with "Made in the USA" proudly screen printed on the receiver.  I started out simply to add the BStaley mod, and to tune the rifle down to sub 12ft lbs... but once I started down the modification/upgrade road, there was just no turning back, I became committed.

As it sits right now, I have the following mods on my Gen 1:

1.  Mountain Air Lothar Walther barrel in .177

2.  Huma regulator set to sub 12

3. 14oz light hammer

4.  Polished everything I could for smooth operation

5.  Rapid Air Weapons aluminum trigger blade

6.  Polished all trigger components, modified the "Lawyer Spring" for lightening trigger

7.  Although not really a mod, the Marauder has a completely fresh reseal job

8.  Hill 19.875" Short barrel shroud - for a more carbine look.  Fits (2) Gen2 baffles and spring nicely; not overly loud

9.  The most current additional mod is a stock mod

I contacted a number of stock builders here stateside, and short of offering a "sporter style" stock for the Gen 1 Marauder, no one was willing to create a FT stock for one.  I contemplated a bull pup style of stock for a short period, but decided better against based of responses to a post on this forum.  I did get one offer from an up and coming stock builder to custom build a FT stock for me, but he worked more towards steering me to one of his sporter stocks instead...  Not be defeated, I reached out across "the big pond" to Gary Cane Stocks in the United Kingdom...  40 plus emails later, I placed a very expensive order for a custom stock... like I say, once started down this road, I was committed.  No details yet on the stock mod, as it will not go into production until September.  Just this past Saturday (July 21, 2018) I shipped them the best Marauder example stock I had (Best of 3) for them to use as a master...

10.  Last mod which will be in the future, like when I get this stock paid for, is a scope mod.  I will probably go with a Sightron III FT scope.  Currently I have an AEON 8-40X50 (w/ FT reticle) that I picked up from Hector Medina.

The rifle is shootable now, but I do not anticipate the rig to be truly ready till November or early December, which is when I expect the stock to be stateside.

Motorhead:
Sounds like a KILLER set up and should do you proud once finished.

DRAGON64:
Oh I hope so, as I am looking forward to getting back to field target by the end of the year or start of next year!

Tonykarter:
Yes, please keep us posted on your progress.  Can't wait to see it.  Besides the stock, have you been shooting the rest of it any?  Just tried a few rounds out of curiosity?

DRAGON64:

--- Quote from: Tonykarter on July 24, 2018, 10:20:20 PM ---Yes, please keep us posted on your progress.  Can't wait to see it.  Besides the stock, have you been shooting the rest of it any?  Just tried a few rounds out of curiosity?

--- End quote ---

When I purchased this rifle, it came with 2 stocks; the original, and a modified stock.  The modified stock had some grip work done, and then was bedliner coated.  The modified stock is what I have the rifle in right now.  It is perfect for Hunter FT, which is what I can shoot in the short term.  Right now I am trying to get used to the Aeon scope that I purchased from Hector Medina.  The reticle on that scope is different from any other typical reticle.  On paper the rifle is pretty accurate, mainly with JSB 8.44's.  But I still manage to get the occasional flier.  I have quite an assortment of pellets to work through to narrow down what the rifle likes best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version