GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

Machined a couple new barrels for my Condor.

(1/2) > >>

AustinBinTX:
I ordered two LW .25 polygonal barrels a while back wanting to swap one into my Condor. I finally got around to turning them down last night. The first one came out perfect, but I rushed the second one a little and left a few machine marks right where the full diameter necks down to the breech. Doesn't affect anything, it's just not as pretty. Since the barrels stick out past the shroud, I went ahead and threaded the muzzle 1/2-20UNF.

I installed the first one with new bushings in my stock SS Condor and ran a few shots across the chrony. 5" of extra barrel gave me roughly 70fps extra with JSB heavy MKIIs. In my little 10 yard range inside the shop everything was a single hole. I'll have to take it out this afternoon and stretch its legs out. I've had great results with the polygonal barrels in my Airmax Dominator MKIIs, and hopefully I'll get more of the same out of these.

Hmangphilly:
Hi Austin .

That barrel is  very skinny at the thin end  .
How much wall is left ?

Wayne52:
Austin I'll be checking this thread to see what your results are, you sure did make quick work out of the Dominators you did no doubt!

AustinBinTX:

--- Quote from: Hmangphilly on March 14, 2018, 05:40:54 AM ---Hi Austin .

That barrel is  very skinny at the thin end  .
How much wall is left ?

--- End quote ---

The breech end is .310" so remaining wall is roughly .030".

It looks really exaggerated since the OD of the barrel is .630, but the breech portion has the exact same dimensions as a standard small bore Airforce barrel.

AustinBinTX:

--- Quote from: Wayne52 on March 14, 2018, 05:49:19 AM ---Austin I'll be checking this thread to see what your results are, you sure did make quick work out of the Dominators you did no doubt!

--- End quote ---

Surprisingly, the Dominators have a very similar turned down portion as well. The thread on them is 12mm, and if I remember, the breech is maybe 8mm. I like the way these Airforce barrels turned out better though. Getting the exact length to the metric threads on the Dominator was surprisingly more difficult.

I didn't stretch this one out yet. I had to swap engines yesterday on my riding mower due to a suspected broken ring.

As soon as my new mill gets here I'm going to machine a new breech for a .30 barrel. I've had a blank laying here that was going to be used for a M10 I ended up selling. I'll try it with the stock valve before I go crazy and buy or machine a new higher flow valve.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version