GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > American/U.S. Air Gun Gates

I think I not so good at shooting.

(1/7) > >>

mondomarcus:
Recently started shooting my Crosman Nitro Venom again and realized that I can't make consistent groups. I assumed it was the rifle and not me (of course), so I upgraded to the CharlieDaTuna trigger, changed the scope, upgraded the piston seal, changed to brass barrel pivot washers, and replaced the breech seal. I've come to the conclusion that I probably just don't know how to shoot this thing. I'm getting 6-8" groups at 30 yards. I'm mainly shooting RWS Superdome and JSB Exact Diabolo.

At this point I'm considering ditching the gun and buying a Benjamin mutipump since I assume it wont have the wacky recoil pattern of a gas ram/springer. Anybody have any experience with this rifle?  Also, any tips/advice to improve my shooting would be appreciated.

35 shooter:
Springers are generally hold sensitive. Have you tried the artillary hold. I’ve been able to place my thumb and forefinger in the forward stock screw holes with the 2 springers i have( 1 gas ram and 1 springer), or the heel of my thumb and one of my other fingers in the stock screw holes.
Also, have you checked the crown and made sure the stock screws are all tight?

When shooting from a bench I make sure the cener of my front bag lines up with the stock screws in the forearm.
Just some suggestions in case you have’nt tried them.

Roadworthy:
Buddy made some good points but I suggest going more basic.  Clean the barrel.  A dry patch or two won't get the factory gunk out of it.  You can use Ballistol or even Hoppe's Number Nine.  The goal is to start with a known clean barrel.  I wouldn't use RWS Super Domes in that gun.  They won't hurt it but there are only a few guns in which they work well.  I like JSB or H&N, but my Nitro Venom was perfectly happy with Crosman Hollow Points.  Just remember, the gun chooses the pellets, you don't.  A consistent hold is essential as is a scope with parallax correction if you want to do your best.  Remember, when you pull the trigger recoil starts the gun moving but the pellet hasn't moved yet.  You sight in the gun by where it will be when the pellet finally leaves the barrel.  That is why a consistent hold is crucial.  Some guns like the artillery hold while others prefer a firm grip.  Use the hand on the forearm to pull the gun into the shoulder.  The trigger hand only controls the trigger which must be pulled straight back the same way every time.  One final thing - cock the gun then sit down and place the butt on the ground and the forearm between your knees.  Attempt to move the barrel side to side.  It should be firm in the gun and have no lateral movement.  Now do some regular practice and in two or three years you may be a crack shot.

RedFeather:
Might be the scope. Which are you using? If you know another shooter you might have them test it on another gun.

lizzie:

--- Quote from: mondomarcus on April 23, 2021, 06:12:13 PM ---
At this point I'm considering ditching the gun and buying a Benjamin mutipump since I assume it wont have the wacky recoil pattern of a gas ram/springer. Anybody have any experience with this rifle?  Also, any tips/advice to improve my shooting would be appreciated.

--- End quote ---

I would give it some more time, and more practice. There is a definite learning curve to shooting springers, and it's frustrating enough that many people just give up on it before mastering it. If you don't like a challenge, and can't deal with the fact that springers aren't essentially just "point and shoot" guns, then I would suggest switching to pumpers or PCP, but if you hang in there with the springers, and eventually become comfortable with shooting them, I think you will be happy that you did. I believe strongly that they make a person a better shooter overall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version