GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > The Long Range Club

ELR PCP for Precision Rifle Training

(1/6) > >>

Precision Action:
Up until recently I was training for the PRS competition. Then the ammo shortage hit, prices rose, and I quickly found myself SOL. Admittedly I am still unsure whether it would be more effective attempting to do ELR with air or take up field target, but for the moment let's put that aside.

I remember reading that the key to ELR is ft per lbs, basically the more power you can put down range the further your shot will go, the more weight you can put down range the less windage will affect the projectile, and all of this being said as long as you can overcome differences in velocity. I noticed that several models on the market can put a .357 downrange at a pretty good pace (~900FPS) and if your round has good BC that really could calculate to some distance. A select few of these models can be modified to compensate for an additional air bottle of air supply. But, I am not seeing many posts here about 35 calibers or even 30 caliber rounds for that matter. What is the reason for this?

rsterne:
Not familiar with the term "ELR".... or "PRS competition", for that matter.... As far as "weight downrange" having a better BC, that will apply to some extent if you keep the caliber constant.... but BC is really connected to the Sectional Density, which allows you to compare calibers.... A 120 gr. slug in .35 cal will have the same SD as a slug half that weight in .25 cal.... with the BC then being a matter of the Form Factor (shape).... A 60 gr. slug in .25 cal will be more slender than a 120 gr. in .35, so the .25 cal would likely be less affected by the wind than the .35....

Pellets have a much poorer BC than slugs, so if you are really interested in the best performance in a crosswind, with a moderately powered PCP, I would look to a slug shooting .22 or .25 cal.... My favourite long range PCP is a .257 of about 140 FPE, shooting a 70 gr. slug at 950 fps.... The Lyman 257420, or one of its variants, is a great 200 yd. slug in a 14" twist.... This is not to say that you can't do as well, or even better, with a really powerful .30 or .35 cal.... but since FPE and air use is proportional to bullet weight (at a given velocity), and the FF advantage actually lies with smaller calibers.... I'd just as soon avoid the extra recoil and air requirements just to break even on performance....

Bob

Precision Action:

--- Quote from: rsterne on March 09, 2021, 07:42:42 PM ---Not familiar with the term "ELR".... or "PRS competition", for that matter.... As far as "weight downrange" having a better BC, that will apply to some extent if you keep the caliber constant.... but BC is really connected to the Sectional Density, which allows you to compare calibers.... A 120 gr. slug in .35 cal will have the same SD as a slug half that weight in .25 cal.... with the BC then being a matter of the Form Factor (shape).... A 60 gr. slug in .25 cal will be more slender than a 120 gr. in .35, so the .25 cal would likely be less affected by the wind than the .35....

Pellets have a much poorer BC than slugs, so if you are really interested in the best performance in a crosswind, with a moderately powered PCP, I would look to a slug shooting .22 or .25 cal.... My favourite long range PCP is a .257 of about 140 FPE, shooting a 70 gr. slug at 950 fps.... The Lyman 257420, or one of its variants, is a great 200 yd. slug in a 14" twist.... This is not to say that you can't do as well, or even better, with a really powerful .30 or .35 cal.... but since FPE and air use is proportional to bullet weight (at a given velocity), and the FF advantage actually lies with smaller calibers.... I'd just as soon avoid the extra recoil and air requirements just to break even on performance....

Bob

--- End quote ---

Good answer, It makes sense of course. I don't know why I didn't think of this. It is the same with powder rifles, a 6mm round is more slender and posses a better BC than a 7mm or 6.5mm.

ELR = Extreme Long Range
PRS = Precision Rifle Series

Blue:
Are you looking for an option that will let you practice until the ammo shortage sorts out or are you looking to change to competing with air?

Unless you are trying to match ballistics to another gun and projectile so you can practice without having to translate results I’d just go with a lower caliber.  If it’s practice, make it more valuable by choosing a caliber that does less for you. I think just a few of the other benefits of a smaller caliber would be lower price projectiles (pellets or slugs), lower air use so less frequent fill ups, and I’d rather walk 100 yards and back to change targets than 300.

I like my rifle, it’s in .22.  I’ve spent a fair amount on aftermarket parts, I’ve spent a lot of time tuning and getting to know it, and even when I got what I considered to be a spectacular group/score I was still getting spanked by larger calibers last summer.  If you are looking to compete against other air gun shooters then you will want the edge that a larger caliber may provide (if it’s allowed) but you are going to spend a lot of time and money tuning it to be a top tier competitor.

I think the smaller calibers that are more effected by wind will end up making you a better shooter overall by forcing you to read the wind in the moment.  I think practicing in the worst conditions makes it easier to play when things are less than perfect. Think about runners that wear a resistance ‘chute or run uphill when they train or maybe Inigo Montoya dueling left handed.

There was a group of guys that came up with a game they called “mini sniping” where they purposely shot inexpensive low powered guns at closer but very small targets to challenge themselves using the same principles they used when shooting powder burners long range. Imagine a competition where you are shooting tic tacs at 30 yards with a Red Rider, literally competing shooting BB’s from a smooth bore!

Don’t fall into the trap of false equivalency, you are never going to find an air gun that will shoot the same as your powder burner. You are going to have to find the sweet spot where the lower weight projectiles, velocities, and distances you can shoot will allow you to upscale and use the skills you’ve honed by practicing.

Also, never discount the practice you gain in things like maintaining sight picture or breath and trigger control that will directly apply to any shooting.

Madd Hatter:
Mini sniping is shooting 9mm pistal cases at 35 yards. It was figured out to be hitting a man size siluet at 1000 yards. They used.177 target springer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version