GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Target Shooting Discussion Gate

Entry Level Pistol for 10 M Target Shooting

(1/8) > >>

mwgm2020:
What is an acceptable entry-level pistol to try out competition target shooting.  Should it be CO2 or would a pump gun like a Crosman American classic model 1377 work, or even a Beeman P17?

Bob H.:
Stephen,

I have a lot of respect for the older black sighted P17s.  I've never got used to the true glow glare, some flat black paint might cure that.  The P17s can be tune to have great trigger and mine have more accuracy that I can used.  Practice, practice, and practice some more, and you will be a contender.

BobH.

Duckster:

--- Quote from: mwgm2020 on February 27, 2021, 03:04:05 AM ---What is an acceptable entry-level pistol to try out competition target shooting.  Should it be CO2 or would a pump gun like a Crosman American classic model 1377 work, or even a Beeman P17?

--- End quote ---

Stephen,

Are you looking into 10M competition?
How serious are you about competition?
What is your gun budget to start?

You could start with a P-17 for less than $50. It's accurate enough to start, but not much more. Maybe one of the Diana's would work. Maybe an Air Venturi V10, or AV-46? If you have enough in your budget, the Hammerli AP-20 is a great starting pistol for 10M. There's also the Alpha Proj and Ataman AP16.

Consider this when choosing . . . If choosing PCP or CO2, you want to be able to shoot a minimum of 60 shots per fill. ISSF competitions are 60 shots plus the finals. Single pumps will work, as long as you can pump and shoot 60 shots in 75 minutes.

There is a lot to consider. If you think you're going to take this seriously, I would recommend starting with a Hammerli AP-20 or the AP-20 PRO. The Alpha Proj is good as is the Ataman AP-16. If you're really serious, look into a Steyr, Morini, Walther, FWB, or Pardini. This last group will enable you to shoot a lifetime and not need to upgrade - you will not need to re-learn to shoot a different pistol.  The group of pistols in this paragraph are PCP 's.

Probably the best advice is . . . Buy the best pistol you can afford - make certain it fits your hand and you can shoot it comfortably for 70 + shots.

This info i provide is rather vague, but should get you started thinking - and asking more questions.  Ac12 should chime in soon, as he has been shooting competitions for quite some time and offers great advice.

ac12:
@Duckster is spot on.

How serious are you, and what is your budget?

Do you "think" you might shoot competition matches, or just casual shooting at home?
Regulation matches are more of an operational issue.  Gas capacity becomes an issue.
If casual shooting at home, things become less of an issue.

Types of gun/charging method:

If you have a compressed gas setup (co2 or CA/PCP), that would be the natural choice.
CA/PCP is the current standard.
Some guns have problems with co2 in high or low temp.  This is why the industry moved from co2 to CA/PCP. 
All I can say about that is, I have shot from the high 40F to about 105F, without problems, with MY co2 AP. 

co2 cartridge is OK, but because of how much you will be shooting, it can/will get expensive fast.  You have to buy them in bulk, to control the cost.  I have not shot a co2 cartridge AP in a long time, so I don't remember how many good shots you get out of a cartridge.  That could be an issue at a regulation match.

If you don't already have a compressed gas setup (co2 or CA/PCP) and don't want to go compressed gas, SSP is a good option.  SSP is also good if you travel, no hassles with a tank of compressed gas.  But working the charging lever can be hard on your arm.  This depends on the specific AP and the strength of your arms, some guns are harder to charge than others.

I would NOT go with a multi-pump.  I do not know of any multi-pump target AP.

Spring match APs (like the FWB-65, or the Diana-10) are OK for casual target use, but not for serious competition.
Spring match guns, AP and ARs were made obsolete by the accuracy of the SSP and compressed gas guns.
But they are fun to shoot  :-)

What is important?  For me, the critical items are the grip, trigger and sight.

- Grip:  If the grip does not fit your hand, and you can't easily reach the trigger, you can't shoot it well.  This is more important for the fitted target grips.  Wood grips can be filed and filled to fit, plastic grips are harder to modify to fit.  The palm support is important for longer barreled APs, where the CG is forward of your hand.
Grips like on the P17 are fairly adaptable to many people.

- Trigger:  The trigger is absolutely CRITICAL.  It has to be SMOOTH.  If it is not SMOOTH, your mind will be distracted from holding the sight picture, by you having to fight the trigger, and your score will drop. 
AP triggers have to have at least 500g weight (mine is 550+g).  Triggers are weighed at regulation matches (with a dead weight, not a scale), and it is pass/no-pass. 
Rolling or crisp like a "glass rod breaking" is personal choice.  Mine is rolling.

- Sight:  You need a GOOD sight picture.  Preferably with sights that are EASY to see.  Blade front.  Rear sight should be easily adjustable; best with a finger knob, OK with screwdriver, but NOT anything that you have to drift to adjust.  Once set, you normally don't adjust the sight, but if you have to, you don't want it to be a PITA to do.

For a similar price, I would rather get a used tier 1 AP than a new tier 2 or 3 AP.
In fact that I what I did.  Both of my match APs are used.
Even today, I would take my old obsolete Walther CPM1 over the Alpha Project AP.

For a more entry level, I don't know, as I have not looked at the market for a long time.
The old entry level choice was the Daisy 717/747, but that is long out of production.

ac12:
Some more rambling thoughts.

I do not like top closing SSPs like the P17 and Gamo Compact.
For some reason, I keep dreading that I will get my fingers clamped on when I close the top.    :'(
Having said that, the Gamo Compact (aka Air Venturi V10) has been a successful entry target gun for years. 
If it works for you, go for it.

On the other hand, side lever SSPs, like the out of production Daisy 717/747, can be tricky to charge.  Because the charging motion is to the right, not down into your hand, like the top charging SSPs.
I really like the 7x7 APs because it can be easily dry fired.  Just like the 853, cocking the striker is separate from charging the gun.  In fact I used to dry fire my 747 a lot, because my Pardini did not have a dry fire option.

When I was younger, I used to love co2 cartridges, cuz I hated pumping an air gun.
But a co2 cartridge has a somewhat small capacity.  You have to know about when the gas will start to run out and the velocity drop, and change cartridges BEFORE that point.  If this is in the middle of a match, it is a regassing problem like with the Alpha Project AP.

I had thought about the Crosman 2300T, as another gun to "play" with, but decided against it.  It is rated for about 40 shots per cartridge.  So two maybe THREE cartridges per match!  My practice was about 100 shots, so three cartridges each time I practice.  Five days of practice a week = 15 cartridges a week   :(
The similar 1701P which is a CA gun was interesting, but is only rated for 50 shots before needing a gas refill.  That will require a regassing in the middle of a match.  Crosman made the same mistake with the Challenger 2009 target rifle.  Not enough gas to reliably finish a full match.

The IZH-46 (aka AV-46) is a well respected starter AP.  But it is a rather heavy AP. 
But, here is the rub.  When you pay $600+ for that AP, you are close to the price of a Hammerli AP20, or a used tier 1 AP.  I went for a used Pardini K58, and am happy that I did.

The Alpha Project AP was a good try that missed.
The #1 issue for me is the limited gas capacity.  I noticed that the shot count per charge wasn't even listed in the specs.  I wonder why?  I had to dig in the review to see what people were getting, about 80 shots. 
80 shots is marginal for a match.  20 shot sighters + 60 shots match, and you have nothing left for a finale (if you have to shoot one).  Even 20+60 leaves you "running on fumes," with the risk of running out of gas.  So, you have to regas in the middle of a match.  For a 10m competition gun, this is a big failing. 
Grip:  In my experience, ambi target grips are neither right nor left grip.  IOW it does not feel "right" for either hand.  The dedicated RH target grip is another $170, and the Alpha is now over $1,000.
For over $1,000, I would definitely get a used tier 1 AP.
And this is significantly more than a Hammerli AP20.

For the Crosman and Alpha Project APs, for casual shooting at home, the need to regass in the middle of a home match is not the big deal it is when shooting a regulation match at a meet.

Note:  For air guns which are NOT specifically designed for target shooting, a difficult item is the trigger.  You really want a trigger that is adjustable for weight.
If the trigger weight is NOT adjustable (like the P3 and P17), you are stuck with what it is.  If it is under 500g, it could become difficult to increase the weight, to make it legal.  If it is way over 500g, how do you reduce the weight?  You could reduce trigger weight by clipping turns off a spring (like an unmodified 853), but that is a crude and difficult way to set the trigger weight. 
From personal experience, what you tested OK at home may be marginal to failing at equipment check.  This is why we do not set up close to the 500g limit, it is too easy to fail the test.  The official weight used by equipment check is the only weight that matters.  You fail that, and you don't shoot.
Then what do you do if you fail the trigger weight test?  Go into a corner, and tear the gun down to replace the spring?  Turning a screw is MUCH easier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version