GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > The Long Range Club

102 Yard shooting today!

(1/4) > >>

customcutter:
I finally decided to try a little NUAH shooting today.  I went up to one of the old chicken houses and set up there.  It was misting rain and calm when I started, but the wind picked up to about 5MPH I'm guessing before I finished.  The chicken houses still have a good roof but the sides are wide open except for some 2"X2" square mesh.  The tarps on the side are long gone.  It might block a little wind but not much.  The 4"X4" post have all rotted off at the ground level.  I thought they were 100 yards long but they are actually 130 yards long.

I set up the small folding card table and plastic chair and decided to shoot starting at 10yds and going to 100yds and checking the drop or over every 5 yds.  Looks like I'm good from 20yds out to 70yds with 1/2" rise or fall shooting the .218 21gr H&N slugs. ;D  Just as Chairgun predicted.  Once I got to 70yds I moved the 4-16X44 Nikko Sterling Targetmaster to 10X from 4X.  I meant to check for a change in the POI but forgot.

Rather than trying to re-zero the scope I tried a couple of shots using hash marks and dots.  I have no idea what setting they are supposed to either be MOA or MILs.  I decided to skip the first hash mark and use the first dot.  It was the best group of the day!  The wind started picking up a little, and I started trying to "steer" the gun instead of letting it settle in the rest.  Here's pic, with the 102yd set-up (measured with my Halo rangefinder).

customcutter:
Pics of the target and back to the table.  Also, a close up of the group.  I wish it had been a 1/2" to the left! ;D

customcutter:
I've never tried shooting off of a rest or bi-pod before.  I started trying to zero the scope after the first group.  I might be wrong, but it seemed like if I needed to raise/lower the POI or shoot left/right and was "pushing" the gun against the rest, it seemed to affect accuracy.  At the same time the wind was starting to go from calm to up to 5MPH (estimated).  Here's some other groups that I shot.

Knothead:
Nice shooting there.

customcutter:
Here's the last group.  I decided to pull the gun tight against my shoulder instead of lightly resting against it.  I also hand fed them instead of using the magazine.  I lost count and only shot 4 slugs!  LOL  Good thing I stopped as bad I was doing.

It reminded of Dave (sb327's) comment, "as little contact with the gun as possible."  And here's proof of that concept! 

Sorry, apparently that pic didn't make it for some reason.  I can't find it.  It was probably a 6" spread.  I'll post later if I find it, or take another pic. :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version