GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > The Long Range Club

What to buy for long range shooting

(1/6) > >>

Firewalker:
OK, I am frustrated beyond imagination with breaking 1 MOA at 100 yards. I cant even seem to break 2 MOA, even with perfect conditions today with a turret rest so I am now looking for a long range gun and am considering a TexanLSS in .257. DJ got me thinking about this caliber and now it seems to make sense.

What do you think? What should I buy and why?

customcutter:
Following.

When we go back to Alabama I'm going to see what I can do with the AEA HP Carbine, Evanix Rainstorm II, KAM P12, and hopefully the Hatsan BT65 Bullpup!  There are some old abandoned chicken houses that are 100yds long and should help cut down on the wind. ;D  I can only get to 35 yds shooting at an angle across the backyard. :(

rsterne:
I can't comment about the Texan platform, but in terms of a .257 it's about the only game in town, unless  you custom build.... The most popular long range rifle in Europe is a regulated .224 cal (usually custom built) shooting 40-47 gr. slugs at about 100 FPE, basically .22LR Target load performance.... Most of the guys in NUAH that have qualified as a "Master" (1" groups at 100 yards, all 5 shots inside a 2" bull) are actually shooting pellets in .22, .25 or .30 cal, and most from high-priced PCPs.... Look at some of the previous monthly matches to see what the guys are shooting....  ;)

Bob

Firewalker:

--- Quote from: rsterne on May 11, 2022, 01:26:35 AM ---I can't comment about the Texan platform, but in terms of a .257 it's about the only game in town, unless  you custom build.... The most popular long range rifle in Europe is a regulated .224 cal (usually custom built) shooting 40-47 gr. slugs at about 100 FPE, basically .22LR Target load performance.... Most of the guys in NUAH that have qualified as a "Master" (1" groups at 100 yards, all 5 shots inside a 2" bull) are actually shooting pellets in .22, .25 or .30 cal, and most from high-priced PCPs.... Look at some of the previous monthly matches to see what the guys are shooting....  ;)

Bob

--- End quote ---

Thanks Bob, I
ll go back and take a look at the list and see if I can find a selection that I can swing.

Spacebus:

--- Quote from: Firewalker on May 10, 2022, 11:58:13 PM ---OK, I am frustrated beyond imagination with breaking 1 MOA at 100 yards. I cant even seem to break 2 MOA, even with perfect conditions today with a turret rest so I am now looking for a long range gun and am considering a TexanLSS in .257. DJ got me thinking about this caliber and now it seems to make sense.

What do you think? What should I buy and why?

--- End quote ---

I'll probably end up with one and will (hopefully) be my final air gun purchase. Ever time I do a search for long range air guns that's what I come up with. There are some custom builds out there, like Bob's .257 Condor making 180 FPE, but that is outside of my skills, not sure about yours. I wish there were something better looking out there that can compete with a .257 Texan in power, but doesn't seem to be anything else like it, at least off the shelf. I'm also interested in reaching out to 200 yards in the future. I wish I could find the thread that got me interested in .257, but it was a custom build for competitive shooting shooting cast slugs at 100+ yards. There is also the Altaros M24 that is supposed to coming to the US in .22 and .25 cal capable of 1000 yards. I would prefer something with 150-200 FPE for "farmstead duty" as well, so it's not quite so one dimensional.

I found the thread https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=183218.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version