GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Target Shooting Discussion Gate

Back yard paper punching: is it me or the gun?

<< < (2/2)

ReelOutdoorsman:
Thanks for all the replies.  I should have replied sooner.

I haven't tried all the advice given in this thread yet, but I did try varying the number of pumps in the 2-5 range, which didn't change group size as far as I could tell.

But trying other ammo did seem to make a big difference.  I'd been shooting the cheap Crosman "Essential Domed Recreational" 7.0gr.  Today I shot 6 groups of 5 using AA Diabolo Express 7.87gr.  Normally (again at 20 ft) my best group will be 0.3xx and my worst group will be more than 0.800.  Today my tightest 3 groups were 0.24x, 0.26x, 0.30x, and my worst group was 0.6xx.

I've also modified my targets to make them easier to line up for a clean 6 o'clock hold on these iron sights, but a scope is in my future.

lefteyeshot:
Is it me or the gun? That's an age old question. When the archer misses the mark----

river drifter:
My 880 is most consistent and accurate with 10 pumps. The best pellet I’ve found for it is H&N FTT 8.64gr.

EdinGa:
Not an 880, but my 901 only likes heavy pellets at 10 pumps. RWS Supermags seem to be its favorite.

river drifter:

--- Quote from: EdinGa on May 12, 2022, 03:41:46 AM ---Not an 880, but my 901 only likes heavy pellets at 10 pumps. RWS Supermags seem to be its favorite.

--- End quote ---

^^^Yep this for sure! Both my 880 and 901 do better with more pumps and heavy pellets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version