Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Vacuum Bagging  (Read 1062 times))

Offline Nvreloader

• GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Vacuum Bagging
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2020, 08:24:29 PM »
Tom
What about a Food Saver Vacuum machine, you can make the bags as long as you want,
and there 2-3 different widths etc....... ;)

I had a friend that used to use one of these machines and dyed his thin laminates for gun stock coloring.

HTH's
Don
  • Western  NV
Sheridan 64/67 yr models, 20 cal/Hammerli 850 Air Mag -17 cal x 2, + 22 cal /QB-79 - 22 cal /Guantlet - 22 cal / Crosman 150 - 22 cal, Second Variant Model /Crosman 160 - 1st Variant Model - 22 cal /MRod Varmint 22 cal /Sentry 705-2 - 22 cal /Sentry 705 - 9T - 25 cal / Dar 17 cal /22 cal Discovery
CF 4500 45 min SCBA tanks x 3, w/SB F-10 compressor

"Speeds fine, but Accuracy is final"

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker,
It is time to restore the American precept, that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2020, 10:35:33 PM »
Tom
What about a Food Saver Vacuum machine, you can make the bags as long as you want,
and there 2-3 different widths etc....... ;)

I had a friend that used to use one of these machines and dyed his thin laminates for gun stock coloring.

HTH's
Don

It's worth looking into for sure- though, I don't think they're flexible enough for my purpose.  At least not for gun stocks...

My un-scientific opinion on foam is that  the lowest grade of white EPS foam distorts at 13 HG. Pink Foamular 250 and the slightly stronger Dow blue sold in super hardware stores start to deform at 23 and 24 HG. Dow hi-load 40 takes full vacuum with a little care at the edges. Hi-load 60 and Plaza Mate easily take full vacuum, even with sharp edges.

After doing a google search, I'm not sure there's a local source for the Dupont highload foams...  I'll keep checking though.  I wouldn't ever use regular styrofoam.  The lowest grade foam I'd ever even consider using is the pink or blue XPS foams.

If I can't get a denser foam locally, I may have to buy pourable urethane expanding foam to make my own blanks...  Full vacuum is 14 psi compressive pressure?  So all I'd have to do is find something that's well above 14 psi...  Right?  Or is there more to it? 

This idea is getting more complicated by the day!  ;D
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Spektr02

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 01:09:46 AM »
Sorry Im late to the discussion.  As a Tool Engineer at Boeing, we used silicone Vac Bags for reusability. 
  • USA, WA, Mount Vernon

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 04:36:41 AM »
Sorry Im late to the discussion.  As a Tool Engineer at Boeing, we used silicone Vac Bags for reusability.

Now there's a thought!  I hadn't come across silicone vac bags in my research.  I'll have to take another gander on the web!
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Madd Hatter

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2021, 11:28:52 AM »
Silicone bagging wouldn't work for what you are doing IMHO. Silicone bag is for reusability for the same part and also for use in a autoclave which uses heat and pressure. At least that's what we did for the Nasa stitched wing program.
  • Juniper woods ranch   AZ
Be like the weather. It don't care what anybody thinks.

10 shots Aspen 25 yards

Men with knowledge but lack wisdom are like a blind man with a lantern

He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave. -- William Drummond, Scottish writer (1585 - 1649)

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2021, 11:38:45 AM »
Is the silicone bag molded into the general shape of the piece that's being vacuum bagged?  Or is it a thin flexible skin, similar to the disposable bagging materials?  I just figured that a thin silicone membrane would be cheaper in the long run, since I'm not throwing it out after every use... 
  • Silver Spring Md