Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Best co2 pester/target  (Read 524 times))

Offline AppalachianAirgunner

• Shooter
  • yes
Best co2 pester/target
« on: September 23, 2022, 11:26:32 AM »
Morniní Gateway fam,
Been looking at acquiring a solid co2 pellet caster, Iíve got a 1077 but it doesnít have the fpe in .177, so Iíve narrowed myself to either a Crosman 2240 or a Diana storm chaser. I understand the 2240 to be more of a hobby gun with a multitude of options and upgrades Available from gravmag to stocks and breeches but It looks like the Diana is more intuitive if Iím not modifying on my own. Im renting and donít have the space to set up a solid hobby shop at the moment, so Iím leaning toward Diana in .22, but if thereís another platform Iíve overlooked please lemme know.
Iíve got a surplus of co2 chargers and pellets in .22, .177 and .30, so Iím just looking for a simple to use plinked/pester for use within 20 yards in basement and perimeter.
Price point is a factor, not looking for a big investment for ratting and target shooting.
  • USA, WV, Star City

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "normal" is just a setting on the clothes dryer...
Re: Best co2 pester/target
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 12:37:08 PM »
Are you set on a pistol?
  If not, a QB-78 is inexpensive and solid design , clone of the old Crosman 160 Var3
JimQwerty123 always said ...
"Shoot safe and have fun!"

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 12:50:43 PM »
Are you set on a pistol?
  If not, a QB-78 is inexpensive and solid design , clone of the old Crosman 160 Var3

Iíve looked into the QB but seals are apparently poop quality, I imagine Iíll be using the longer barrel on either one so ďpistolĒ is almost meaningless, the storm chaser seems the winner to my mind. Magazine, stock and long barrel can all come standard in packages for less than 150, where as the Crosman would need 150$ in aftermarket and the QB would need a hobby bench to replace the seals.
  • USA, WV, Star City

Offline Roadworthy

• Honorary GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 12:55:25 PM »
I purchased an XS-60C from Flying Dragon for my wife last year.  We both love it.  http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=55
  • Near the Southern Coast of Washington State
Real knowledge is knowing the extent of one's ignorance.

Offline avator

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 12:58:28 PM »
I purchased an XS-60C from Flying Dragon for my wife last year.  We both love it.  http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=55
Yep, I'd be all over that one if I was in the market for one.
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 01:30:08 PM »
AGREED!
   It has been so long since Mike M had them in stock I quite reccomending them.
The XS-60C in .22 with a medium tune is an excellent choice!

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 02:08:04 PM »
I purchased an XS-60C from Flying Dragon for my wife last year.  We both love it.

Maybe the second time Iíve heard of flying dragon, you had a good experience with it? The Xsan-60c does look great, tuning options say it can get ridiculous fpe. Only downside I see is that itís eating 2 cartridges per fill and an unfamiliar merchant.
Thanks for 5e additional option tho, this thing looks great.
  • USA, WV, Star City

Offline kerplunk

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 02:25:29 PM »
I purchased an XS-60C from Flying Dragon for my wife last year.  We both love it.

Maybe the second time Iíve heard of flying dragon, you had a good experience with it? The Xsan-60c does look great, tuning options say it can get ridiculous fpe. Only downside I see is that itís eating 2 cartridges per fill and an unfamiliar merchant.
Thanks for 5e additional option tho, this thing looks great.

Flying Dragon is well known on the GTA with almost universal positive feedback. I was very happy with my purchase from FD. Most 2 cart guns can be operated with one full cart and one empty cart, I suspect this is the same but I'm sure an owner will chime in.

You don't need a workbench to reseal most CO2 or PCP guns, just a flat working surface and some screwdrivers, allen wrenches, and picks.
  • Orange County, NC, USA
.177 rifles- Daisy 880, Gamo Whisper Silent Cat, Crosman Vantage NP, Benjamin Trail NP2, Winchester Model 1000 (Hatsan), Daisy 1910, Daisy Model 35, RWS 34 Meisterschutze Pro Compact, QB-78s, Crosman 1077, Crosman AK1, Crosman DPMS
.22 rifles- XISICO XS28-M, Hatsan 125, Hatsan Vortex Edge, Benjamin Discovery, Diana Stormrider, Benjamin Marauder (Synrod), Benjamin 392, Benjamin Akela, Crosman 99
.25 rifle- Hatsan Vortex Edge
.177 pistols- Beeman P17 (x2), Browning Buckmark URX (x2), Gamo PT-80 Tactical, Smith & Wesson M&P (x2), Daisy Powerline 1200 (x2), Daisy Powerline 2003, Remington 1875, Crosman PSM45
.22 pistols- Crosman 600 (x2), Crosman 38C

Online nervoustrigger

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • The Grin Reaper
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 03:14:35 PM »
Like kerplunk said, working on a CO2 (or PCP) airgun can be done at the kitchen table with a minimum of tools.  However if you absolutely, positively can not or will not work on a CO2 gun to replace seals, better get a mid-tier springer.  Any CO2 airgun in the class being discussed here carries a high probability of needing to be resealed pretty early in its life.
  • MS
Conduct yourself so that when a man accuses you of something dishonorable, no one will believe him.
Barrel accurizing guide
My youtube channel
QB79 HPA conversion
2240 HPA conversion
Intro to PCP airguns

Offline EdinGa

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2022, 03:25:06 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate to do business with Flying Dragon. Mike is a great guy and stands behind his products and his tunes. I've bought from him several times over the years and I've never had an issue.
  • Gray, Ga

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 06:40:20 AM »
Yes, the XS-60C can be used with one new cart and one spent cart. The FPE remains the same because CO2 is self regulating, only the shot count lowers.
 AND it can also be "Bulk Filled" if you get the adapter end cap from Mike.
It also has a Power-adjuster, but I requested mine with a mid tune, accuracy first then power, and I have never had to adjust it, plenty of energy for me.

As far as Flying Dragon Air goes, you would be hard pressed to find a better business to deal with.
- If you call before noon (9:00-10:00) you will speak to HIM, not a "representative" and he enjoys talking.
- If you get a tuned gun option, it will have a chrono slip or numbers written on the box with usually 5 different pellets.
- Pre-pandemic, his guns carried a lifetime warranty and I am willing to bet they still do. (his lifetime I'm sure).
- Don't be fooled by FDA only carrying Xisico at the moment. Mike knows his way around MANY brands.

I have had 3 of his guns, the XS60C, an BEAUTIFUL XS-12 he hand picked for my Grand Daughter, and a Sentry PCP I sold in a moment of weakness but would by back in a heartbeat. Each one was a pleasant experience.

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2022, 08:24:18 AM »
if Iím not modifying on my own. Im renting and donít have the space to set up a solid hobby shop at the moment

I just noticed this thread is in the "Share Your Simple Home Projects (TRICKS-N-TIPS)" gate... seems like you can't.
You will get more replies elsewhere... Like the "The Darkside" that is the PCP/CO2/HPA Air Gun Gate.
If you would like me to move it let me know.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 08:28:45 AM by Hoosier Daddy »

Offline superchikn

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2022, 09:32:09 AM »
Another recomendation for Mike at FDA and the his XS-60C.  I have one in 22 at a not quite full power tune.  I also have a QB78 bought elsewhere and I will almost always grab the 60C over the QB.

Mike is great to deal with and talk to!
  • Schwenksville Pa.

Offline BanjomanMI76

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2022, 11:11:47 AM »
I vote for and recommend the Diana Chaser, although I've found that trying to find replacement barrel o-rings is a PIA here in the US.
Unless you want to go to the UK (where the Chaser and its derivatives are prevalent).
I have found it to be a tack driver. The moderator at Buck Rail makes this backyard friendly.
  • Michigan
Daisy Red Ryder Number 111 Model 40    1946
Daisy Powerline 415 Pistol
Daisy Powerline 880 Shadow
Diana Chaser Kit
Sig Sauer P226 X-Five Open

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2022, 02:57:18 PM »
if Iím not modifying on my own. Im renting and donít have the space to set up a solid hobby shop at the moment

I just noticed this thread is in the "Share Your Simple Home Projects (TRICKS-N-TIPS)" gate... seems like you can't.
You will get more replies elsewhere... Like the "The Darkside" that is the PCP/CO2/HPA Air Gun Gate.
If you would like me to move it let me know.

Donít think it needs moved, Iím looking into flying dragon with packed interest.
Iíll be reaching out to mike next week and talking through the purchase, I thank ya for tellin me about it. As always, the boards give you more than an answer, usually a longer list of ideas to chew through than what lead ya here in the first place.
Gotta love dedicated forums.  ;D
  • USA, WV, Star City

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2022, 03:03:38 PM »
I vote for and recommend the Diana Chaser, although I've found that trying to find replacement barrel o-rings is a PIA here in the US.
Unless you want to go to the UK (where the Chaser and its derivatives are prevalent).
I have found it to be a tack driver. The moderator at Buck Rail makes this backyard friendly.

What pellets are you running in it, if you donít mind. Iíd be looking to keep it under 25 yards but lately running heavier pellets has gotten addictive. Scraping every last foot pound while maintaining steady trajectory. If itís gonna be running CO2, Iíd want the most Wallop I can muster.  Iíve got an umarex HDS in 68 cal thatís spitting 13fpe with steel core rubber balls but itís got such a short barrel that accuracy is a loose concept.
  • USA, WV, Star City

Offline EdinGa

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2022, 03:42:21 PM »

Airgun Archery Fun can probably hook you up with Chaser parts. Wesbob is a great guy too.
  • Gray, Ga

Offline BanjomanMI76

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2022, 04:33:47 PM »

Airgun Archery Fun can probably hook you up with Chaser parts. Wesbob is a great guy too.
Thank you for the source. Heckuva lot closer to me than over the pond but the Shipping will kill you
  • Michigan
Daisy Red Ryder Number 111 Model 40    1946
Daisy Powerline 415 Pistol
Daisy Powerline 880 Shadow
Diana Chaser Kit
Sig Sauer P226 X-Five Open

Offline EdinGa

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2022, 04:40:46 PM »

Thank you for the source. Heckuva lot closer to me than over the pond but the Shipping will kill you

I bought a couple of airguns from him but no small parts. If I remember correctly the exchange rate offset some of the shipping cost on the guns.
  • Gray, Ga

Offline dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2022, 07:05:20 PM »
moved
  • NY
22 Disco, Hammerli 850 22, Beeman RS3 22 ,Gamo viper express,Crosman 180 22 . One of many Dave's  ;) Forum Rules-  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=919.msg6662#msg6662