GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > "Bob and Lloyds Workshop"

Airgun vs firearm comparison at distance?

(1/3) > >>

Dairyboy:
I know I saw this before somewhere but I can't find it for the life of me! I believe Bob had posted about it before but I can't find it anywhere. Was curious if there was any. Like 100yds with an air rifle is similar to a firearm at ________.

Why I'm curious is my brother in law and his cousin got some Gunwerks rifles in 7mm for long range hunting. They were sighting in at 200yds so I decided I wanted to try shooting my WARP in .30 at 200yds. All I gotta say is I shot 5 shots within 6" or less for sure with a crappy rest and only on 10x so I was thrilled for my first try! If I was more steady I bet it could have been tighter but I was very satisfied. It was awesome shooting and then like 3 secs later hearing the hit.

Id appreciate if you can explain the difficulty equivalent just to tell them. If not then that's ok as well!

dapoun:
If comparing drop the 6.5 creedmoor drops the same amount at 700 yards that my 257 dropped at 270yards if comparing  flight time for same distances the 257 made it to 265 yards in the same time it took the 6.5 to get out to 700.

rsterne:
If you are shooting decent round-nose pellets in the mid 900's, and the rifle is sighted about 1/3 of the way to the target, an airgun at 100 yards has a similar trajectory and wind drift (in MOA) to a .308 Winchester (7.62 NATO) at about 600 yards (and sighted at 200).... If you scale the target down by a factor of 6 as well, you will be facing a similar challenge, which is one of the reasons for the dimensions chosen for the N.U.A.H. targets for use at 100 yards....

If you use bullets in the airgun instead of pellets, you can easily cut the wind drift in half compared to a pellet, although the trajectory (over 100 yards) won't be that much different.... Although most shooters would never believe it, using a bullet with a good BC in an airgun with the velocity in the mid 900s actually has similar wind drift to the same bullet in a PB at 3 times the velocity.... This is because of the huge increase in drag in Supersonic flight....

Bob

TF89:
That is great info.

Dairyboy:
Thanks for the info! That's exactly what I was looking for. Mine wasn't quite ideal as that as my WARP is tuned at 815fps and was sighted in at 55yds but I needed to crank it one full turn up and then the bottom hash on the reticle was right where it hit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version