Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Anyone ever tried a thin walled TP  (Read 963 times))

Offline BigBird

• Expert
  • yes
    • Youtube channel
Re: Anyone ever tried a thin walled TP
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2021, 06:34:03 PM »
Yeah it didn't work.  You can see my indicator paint tells no lies.

Rob, I took your advice.  I made a Peek TP bushing. .408 od,  back to .281 ID hole (for safety).  Maybe I can go bigger?

306 gr, 691 fps = 325 fpe,
306 gr, 649 fps = 286 fpe,

then a 245  gr to check napkin 602 fps = 197 fpe napkin survived nicely

So I like the sealing. The FPE will be good for hunting. I have to take it apart and check it just to make sure it is working.  I guess I could sand the inside a little for a few thousandths.

I will still go up to 3200 psi or 3300 psi so I can get more of a bell and an extra shot.
  • USA, VA, Winchester
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
John 3:17 ESV

Offline Rob M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2021, 10:00:53 AM »
nice, as long as its sealing .. im betting you can go a few thou more with peek
  • Louisiana

Offline BigBird

• Expert
  • yes
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2021, 12:20:23 AM »
Along the same topic, I made a delrin TP for my 2260 .37 smooth bore.  It has a little thicker walls so I am not concerned with it deforming. Works great.  I hope to implement them more often because they both seal and "transfer".  It did increase the power a little bit.  Now I just need to figure out how to make it accurate.  Maybe rifling??
  • USA, VA, Winchester
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Offline Rob M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2021, 10:31:44 AM »
yea, when the thin walled plastic TPS are in a counterbore , they reall have nowhere to go.. effective and disposable
  • Louisiana

Offline BigBird

• Expert
  • yes
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2021, 11:31:10 PM »
I wanted to try this at some point and I'm not even sure this whole valve setup will even work so this TP is of the same experimental theme.

Its all the 1" tube stuff that bent, went in sideways and I "reworked" as a sick personal challenge.  I have fun creating problems and fixing them.  I know, it shows but I get to and through things instead of hum and haw.

Anyhow, this TP is a 8mm or maybe .308, a .358, speaking of the brass being repurposed from duds (split cases, berdan primed, used too much lube, etc).  I plan on using the extractor groove for an oring slot.  The ID will be quite large but I am seeing if I can open about a .40 throat.  I failed on this balanced valve and I am still working up to a .46.

Yeah, there was a lot of chatter on the cut as I couldn't use my vice.  So I may need to do a little polishing.  With a 12mm hole I can always use a 1/2 peek TP if it doesnt work real well.  However I am planning on bottoming the case head and press fitting the top into a barrel.

If this works, TP material abounds and will already have a semi workable oring hole (may need squaring).
  • USA, VA, Winchester

Offline Rob M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2021, 12:10:36 PM »
unrelated note , it appears your chatter issue is rpm related , not rigidity.. try doing the next hole at the lowest setting you have , 80-300 rpm.. you may ened up with a very smooth hole.or drill undersize , then use a reamer at low rpm , theyre cheap as dirt nowadays

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Straight-Chucking-Cutting-Machine/dp/B07QNHLWSQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=12mm+reamer&qid=1637165573&s=industrial&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A1THAZDOWP300U&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVlc4TDVGMVFZSE1RJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDI3ODA4MzM1S0YyT0cxTzRGUyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDg0MTM4MzBMWFVRRUNEQjU4UiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 12:13:12 PM by Rob M »
  • Louisiana

Offline BigBird

• Expert
  • yes
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2021, 09:56:55 PM »
unrelated note , it appears your chatter issue is rpm related , not rigidity.. try doing the next hole at the lowest setting you have , 80-300 rpm.. you may ened up with a very smooth hole.or drill undersize , then use a reamer at low rpm , theyre cheap as dirt nowadays

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Straight-Chucking-Cutting-Machine/dp/B07QNHLWSQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=12mm+reamer&qid=1637165573&s=industrial&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A1THAZDOWP300U&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVlc4TDVGMVFZSE1RJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDI3ODA4MzM1S0YyT0cxTzRGUyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDg0MTM4MzBMWFVRRUNEQjU4UiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Thanks Rob.  I have limited gearing on my $39.99 HF drill press.  I need a different motor like the sewing machine motor on my lathe.

Cross pin is a little snug due to the TP hole in the tube.  Its a good fit and I like it so far.  I guess I couldve used a 12mm drill and a chucking reamer for this too.  I don't have metric drill bits except step drills.

Just looking forward to getting everything in for testing.  Probably need to do a peek TP to set it in with hydraulic pressure.
  • USA, VA, Winchester