Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: New! Immersive Optics  (Read 1972 times))

Offline Cableaddict

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Re: New! Immersive Optics
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2021, 03:54:58 PM »
Well, I still can't decide between the mildot rapid reticle and the standard. - But I have at least ruled out the extended, as it's very busy and I not longer think I need so much holdover markings.

----------------------------------

Wes,  another question:

Can you tell us (as best you can estimate) what the distance is of each scope when mounted, from the center of the objective to the top-surface of the picatinny rail?
For short-range use on a bullpup, this is fairly important.   I know that with those two MTC scopes, the difference between them is 1/4".  (1.50" and 1.75", according to one dealer)
Immersive Optics is probably using the same mount, but it would be good to know.

I'd like to get a larger objective, for dusk-dawn shooting,  but a lower scope means less adjustments, so.....
Of course, being fixed magnification, these scopes are probably a bit brighter than equivalent variable scopes, anyway, but this info would be good to have.

thx.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 03:57:28 PM by Cableaddict »
  • USA, NY, Suffern

Offline Back_Roads

• I Got A 10 Pump BB Gun :) BB Guns Got Much More Complicated :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st Edition Crosman 760 Pump Master
    • Back_Roads Airgunning
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2021, 05:46:13 PM »
 OK mounted and sighted in ! BTW this one is 1 1/2" from top of the hatsan rail to the center of the optic, 2" from center of the bore to the optic center. Reticle is very fine so it does get lost in dark targets, the illumination on the low setting is just enough to highlight the dots but was hard to get my camera to get a good picture with out messing with a bunch of settings.
 The turrets are light but positive feel and response, FOV is amazing at close ranges, may get lost in the wide expanse at longer ranges, there a higher power option would be best. will get outside with it next to get my fine adjustments set, then go see if any rabbits or squirrels want to help me confirm zeros and holds ;D

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
  • Wisconsin Collins "Hunters Paradise" There's a Sign in Town to Prove It :)

Offline Cableaddict

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 09:19:38 PM »
OK mounted and sighted in ! BTW this one is 1 1/2" from top of the hatsan rail to the center of the optic, 2" from center of the bore to the optic center. Reticle is very fine so it does get lost in dark targets, the illumination on the low setting is just enough to highlight the dots but was hard to get my camera to get a good picture with out messing with a bunch of settings.

Thanks, James.

This pretty much confirms that the mount is the same as with the MTC Swat scopes.  (Which is a good thing.)  So height above the rail just comes down to the size of the objective.
Sadly, a bullpup typically adds around another 1/2" or more, from the bore center.  - But I think I'll still get the larger objective.  Lotsa' light at dusk,  and I THINK I like the idea of using the scope as a range-finder  (Ask me again in a year, lol.....) so the larger objective = a narrower DOF, and Bob's yer auntie.

-----------------------

BTW - Once you've had time to do some real pesting / hunting,   it would be very helpful to get your further thoughts on that reticle.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 09:21:39 PM by Cableaddict »
  • USA, NY, Suffern

Offline Cableaddict

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2021, 12:32:48 PM »
Wes,

I'm trying to place an order today,  but I don't understand the shipping options.
Can you explain them?
Is the cheapest one just slower?  (or not enough weight covered? I have no idea how heavy the package is.) Or is one of the others REQUIRED for scope?

thx
  • USA, NY, Suffern

Offline WesBob

• Vendors
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
    • AirgunArcheryfun
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2021, 12:58:39 PM »
Wes,

I'm trying to place an order today,  but I don't understand the shipping options.
Can you explain them?
Is the cheapest one just slower?  (or not enough weight covered? I have no idea how heavy the package is.) Or is one of the others REQUIRED for scope?

thx
Hi, sorry for the slow response. The shipping on my website you basically have the two choices for scopes. The one is by usps for around $15, which will be considerably slower than the $21 shipping by Purolator/UPS. That's a lot faster. The courier Purolator ships it down to your home town and hands it off to UPS, and UPS delivers it.
I've had good success with them so far. I would recommend paying a couple extra dollars for the Purolator option. I can also ship by DHL express at that second price, so just out a note in the checkout if you prefer DHL. They don't pick up every day like Purolator does, but they are faster once it's on the truck, so up to you. Probably DHL will end up at your door quickest.
  • Caronport , Saskatchewan, Canada
Artemis M11, PP750, PP700sa, CR600W, Stormrider, Bandit, Bandit/Airbug .25 cal hybrid, .25 cal Stormrider, Aselkon Air Rifles, Immersive Optics, Vector Scopes, FX rifles

Offline WesBob

• Vendors
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
    • AirgunArcheryfun
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2021, 01:00:42 PM »
Well, I still can't decide between the mildot rapid reticle and the standard. - But I have at least ruled out the extended, as it's very busy and I not longer think I need so much holdover markings.

----------------------------------

Wes,  another question:

Can you tell us (as best you can estimate) what the distance is of each scope when mounted, from the center of the objective to the top-surface of the picatinny rail?
For short-range use on a bullpup, this is fairly important.   I know that with those two MTC scopes, the difference between them is 1/4".  (1.50" and 1.75", according to one dealer)
Immersive Optics is probably using the same mount, but it would be good to know.

I'd like to get a larger objective, for dusk-dawn shooting,  but a lower scope means less adjustments, so.....
Of course, being fixed magnification, these scopes are probably a bit brighter than equivalent variable scopes, anyway, but this info would be good to have.

thx.

Hi Alan, sorry for not getting back sooner on this question. I see James gave some good info on that, so thanks to him.
Artemis M11, PP750, PP700sa, CR600W, Stormrider, Bandit, Bandit/Airbug .25 cal hybrid, .25 cal Stormrider, Aselkon Air Rifles, Immersive Optics, Vector Scopes, FX rifles

Offline Cableaddict

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2021, 01:52:59 PM »

The shipping on my website you basically have the two choices for scopes. The one is by usps for around $15, which will be considerably slower than the $21 shipping by Purolator/UPS. That's a lot faster. The courier Purolator ships it down to your home town and hands it off to UPS, and UPS delivers it.
I've had good success with them so far. I would recommend paying a couple extra dollars for the Purolator option. I can also ship by DHL express at that second price, so just out a note in the checkout if you prefer DHL. They don't pick up every day like Purolator does, but they are faster once it's on the truck, so up to you. Probably DHL will end up at your door quickest.

Thanks, Wes.  I just ordered with the Purolator price.  Of course, ship DHL if that looks to be faster, but no worries either way.

I went with the 10x40 and standard mildot.       

-----------------------

### important:  I got some info directly from Immersive Optics today,  which helped a lot with my choice:

1:  MDR is available only for 5x24 and 5x30 scopes.   So that ended my dilemma. 
I suggested that they make a MDR with an extra lower dot at 10 mil,  and maybe no circle (just a dot) on the top half as well.    If they ever make that, I'd sell this scope and buy the new one.

2:  They sent this link, which shows their 10x40 MD scope in action.   Looks good to me.  - And his camera's not even showing the entire FOV !

3:  Not something that was on my radar, but they wrote:
" X10 is the maximum practical magnification where you can use back NV attachment." 
I assume that also holds for any kind of recorder.  It's good to know that they will work with these short eye relief scopes.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 02:24:25 PM by Cableaddict »
  • USA, NY, Suffern

Offline mcoulter

• Expert
  • yes
    • My Instagram
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2021, 10:44:55 AM »
I'm really digging the 10x24 on my Cricket II Tactical  :-)

• Central New York
Kalibrgun Cricket II Tactical .22
Kalibrgun Cricket II .22
Kalibrgun Cricket .25
RWS 34 .177
Beeman P1 .177

And a Shoebox F10  :-)

Offline Back_Roads

• I Got A 10 Pump BB Gun :) BB Guns Got Much More Complicated :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st Edition Crosman 760 Pump Master
    • Back_Roads Airgunning
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2021, 10:48:33 AM »
 Only issue I have with these prism scopes is so much wasted rail space, like where is the rest of the scope  ???
 What they lack in size is made up for in quality of glass and the other features they offer.
 I see room for lights and lasers ahead of the optic, or like the video a NV adaptation and room to move the setup further ahead to keep the optic in a comfortable position.  8)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 10:50:39 AM by Back_Roads »
  • Wisconsin Collins "Hunters Paradise" There's a Sign in Town to Prove It :)

Offline Cableaddict

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »
I'm really digging the 10x24 on my Cricket II Tactical  :-)

OT,  but that's a REALLY nice looking rifle !

--------------

Back on topic:   Given the FOV,  do you think you'd get along with a 14x version?   -  See my thread on this:

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=193297.0
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 12:38:15 PM by Cableaddict »
  • USA, NY, Suffern

Offline Cableaddict

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2021, 04:39:20 PM »
As posted elsewhere,  Here's the info Immersive Optics sent me about the problem with NV attachements.
(Mostly a problem with the 14x50,  but evidently somewhat of an issue with any wide FOV scope)

--------------

I asked:
" why don't you guys look into manufacturing wider FOV adapters, for some of the more popular recording & NV units out there? They would probably be huge sellers."   

THEIR RESPONSE:

"To capture all FOV of the day scope, the NV attachment FOV  needs to correspond it, meaning that the objective lens of that NV needs to have much wider FOV (or in optical terms - shorter focus) . This brings the problem - if used as a spotter with a shorter focus lens, that NV unit will have probably about X0.6 magnification, and very much useless as a spotter.

Also there is another problem: (the main one) 
For the system to work, you need to pump lots of infrared illumination, and illuminating a wide area is a challenge. It is much easier to focus  IR emission into a tight, small angle beam and get a good detection distance, than flooding the aria at wide angle.   

So, it is possible for us  to make an adapter as you suggested, but increasing FOV of the NV you need to change the illumination angle too. The problem will be to maintain high level of IR illumination at that angle.  To maintain the same detection range, the illumination with our 3 times wider optics, it will need to pump 9 times more energy, and this is difficult to achieve.   

Recording in a day time is easy - there are lots of mobile phone adapters to film through binoculars or spotting scopes, they work well with short relief rifle scopes." 

• USA, NY, Suffern

Offline WesBob

• Vendors
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
    • AirgunArcheryfun
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2021, 05:07:47 PM »
These sure ficus nice! Even the 14x50 you can focus nice and clear in front of your feet.  :D

For my eyes, with glasses the 10x40 and 14x50 require I get really close with my eye. But very clear and very wide, even the 14x50 is plenty wide at 5-10 yards tonhunt with, in my opinion.

Offline Cableaddict

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2021, 08:23:12 PM »
Thanks, Wes.

I'm going to take a deep breath then and go with the 14x50  (regular mildot reticle, as you suggested)

I'll send you an email now so we can change my order.

A brave new world........    :P
  • USA, NY, Suffern

Offline Kennykustom

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2021, 08:36:04 PM »
Ordered 14x50 last night. ( Well the wife did)
Excited to get it here !
  • Canada,  Manitoba,   Carberry

Offline Cableaddict

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2021, 10:31:10 PM »
Ordered 14x50 last night. ( Well the wife did)
Excited to get it here !

Nice !

Care to tell us why you chose the 14x50?   Your reasons would probably help some others decide.

One reason that tipped me over (besides Wes's last post) was the fact that the 14x50 appears to have a larger "parallax" wheel than the 10x40, so it should be easier to make quick adjustments.

Also note:  I put  "parallax" in quotes, because I think it's more of a focus wheel.  These scopes probably have EXTREMELY low parallax error, since your eye is right up against the ocular.   
- And if that's true (probably) then the short DOF that the 14x50 has will probably not result in too many missed opportunities, since you can still acquire & kill your target if it's slightly out of focus.  (As long as the parallax is still aligned.)

I think.    :(

What do you guys think of this theory?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 11:12:26 PM by Cableaddict »
  • USA, NY, Suffern

Offline HotDog

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2021, 11:32:30 PM »
What is the eyepiece diameter of the 10x40?

Does anyone have any idea if this would work with the 12mm Oneleaf NV100? Steve Allen says the 5X scopes with the longer eye relief work best but I think he was using the 16mm version of the NV100.

Thanks in advance.
  • USA, CA, Oceanside