GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

Making your own spring guides?

(1/6) > >>

ray1377:
If this question is in the wrong place I do apologize. I didn't really know where it might belong.
For those who have the means and the ability to make their own break barrel custom parts I'm curious to know from you if when you make
a new spring guide how do you go about sizing it? I know a spring expands as its compressed so I'm guessing you want your new guide to be somewhat larger than the factory one you are replacing. The same would also apply to the tophat since they both fit down inside the spring.
Any info you fellows could provide on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ray

P.S. Mrs.Liz, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Yogi:
Ray,

Great question and it might be moved to the Tuners gate.  My understanding is that the optimum spring guide is slightly loose when the spring is compressed, but taught when the spring is released.  IE. the spring "grabs the guide when it is released and absorbs most of the inherent vibration of the spring.  So in a relaxed state the guide is hard to get onto the spring.  Top hats may be slightly looser.  Remember, the most important thing that the spring guide does is centers the spring as it it compressed.  It wants to slant to one side or the other.
HTH?

-Y

Roadworthy:
The proper fit of the guide in the spring is determined by the intended use.  For target shooting the guide would be a bit tighter than it would for hunting as the spring clamping back onto the guide after the gun is fired will tend to reduce the energy transferred to the piston.  Its primary job is holding the spring centered.  The top hat's job is to hold the end of the spring centered and help keep the spring from contacting the piston.  It may or may not be used in conjunction with a piston sleeve.

Motorhead:
Base line ...
Measure spring O.D. and write it down ...... Measure wire diameter and write it down .....  SUBTRACT wire diameter X2 from the spring O.D. and there is the @ spring I.D. ( actual guide size with be +/- pending application )

Generally when installing the guide it should be light to snug fit requiring some push to get it inside spring. Only trial and error ( AKA: Experience ) will get you the knowledge of whats just right.

* DEBURR the ends of coil so not to gall the guide when pushed on & smooth up the flat surfaces.
Have fun and good luck ...

Loe:
On a Dutch forum I got the tip from some one who makes the guide better fit with a piece of an soda can.
Some where else I read some used a plastic from a soda bottle

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version